Search Unity

[STUCK] Lights building takes more than ages

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by DFT-Games, Jan 27, 2015.

1. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Hi,

I'm setting up a simple scene with a terrain using standard terrain assets, The terrain is 500mx500m, no trees, just terrain, some (less than 10) buildings from the Medieval Village on the Asset Store and... building is just impossible... I also sent it to the Cloud build but some Unity employee canceled the build after 11 hr, 58 min, 4 sec that it was building for Web...

It's just me?

2. chrismarch

chrismarch

3. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

A 500x500 terrain is to be considered a large mesh? How about parallel distributed computing to bake lights in a real AAA+ level?

No guys... I'm dead serious here... I turned on Unity 5 for a really big in-house project we just started, but if this behavior is not considered something to fix as a top priority then I guess I have to rethink the whole project and switch engine :( We'll have really complex levels and sub-levels with really a lot of real time GI... if then we need a week to get a build this cannot work for us :(

4. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's not just you, and it's a problem that they're aware of. I can't ever get past "Layout systems 2/11". Waited days. My bug was closed with the comment that it's a known issue.

5. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Thanks Jaimi for letting us know... so it's pointless to open another bug as they closed yours that way. Now the question is: can Unity be so kind to give us an update on this? I'd really appreciate that.

6. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

We will have this issue fixed in b22.

7. Claytonious

Claytonious

I am on my 7th hour of being stuck at "2/11 Layout Systems | 1 jobs" on beta 22, so it does not appear to be fixed in b22 after all.

8. Jaimi

Jaimi

That's disappointing. Right where I always get stuck too. :(

9. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Excellent news Joachim, thank you!

The current beta is 21... let's wait b22 :)

10. Roni92

Roni92

You ppl tried to bake lighting without terrain object? I mean, you know try with simple scenes, and gradually add objects and observe behaviour. For my tests, baking was working pretty good and wasnt even slow I would say. But yeah, that was simple test scene with primitives just to play around with GI.

11. Claytonious

Claytonious

No, this was on beta 22. But, yes, clearly we will need to wait a little longer. It's obviously a priority for UT and they have plenty of repro projects. In my case, it's almost certainly because of Terrains. I have little trouble when not using Terrains. On prior betas, like around beta 14 or so, I was able to bake terrains, too. It was an awesome time for a short while there.

12. erana79

erana79

I had the problem that my computer (iMac 27" with 12 gig RAM) ran out of memory when baking lights for a quite small scene with just a couple ob objects and 3 lights. Baking crashed an computer threw an alert that it's out of RAM.

13. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

Well, I don't have any early access so to me b22 is not available yet, I only see b21.

14. Jaimi

Jaimi

Not fixed in B22 - Gave up on baking after 24 hours (with lowest of low settings). Still can't get past "2/11 Layout Systems". Maybe in the mysterious B23 people are mentioning or even the <gasp> RC1 that is rumored to be available.

15. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I can confirm that in B22 is bit faster but still unacceptable...l this doesn't qualify as a fix, sorry.

16. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

We have an additional improvement coming in the next build, let us know how that works for you.

17. DFT-Games

DFT-Games

I look forward to testing that! Thanks!

unityunity