Search Unity

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

Yes u can. use lerp node.

SSE does not support Unity 4 I think.

2. AlecMoody

AlecMoody

Did this node ever get added? If not, does anyone have an example of how to rotate a texture/uvs?

3. Polygonsoup

Polygonsoup

You can do this with the split node. Gives you access to all the channels, don't be confused by the x,y,z,w as they just translate to r,g,b,a respectively.
    I created a shader to test it out, when I'm on my pc I'll upload the graph.

edit:

So yeah as you know i'm just pulling the R and G channels out from the tga and plugging it into the spec and gloss and i've added a slider for the gloss for some extra control.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  4. Chaoss

Chaoss

It's a real shame that this doesn't work correctly with 4.x, it seems like 4.x has gone backwards rather than forwards. :(

5. smnerat

smnerat

Hey everyone,

So I'm relatively new to unity, and extremely inexperienced when it comes to shaders. I have been using the masked tint - vertex lit shader here: http://http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Masked_Tint. I am setting my vertices to a color based on a tag, and then this renders the same material on different objects depending on said tag (I'm not sure if this is the right way to go about this??) Anyways, I am hoping to add some shine or light reflection like the built in mobile/vertexlit-directional light only shader. I cannot seem to add any sort of effect to the masked tint-vertex lit shader. I've tried everything from adding specular, diffuse, etc type lighting (or effect?). I found a few posts that led me to the strumpy editor, but due to my inexperience I'm having a hard time recreating the shader I'm currently using, more or less add some light reflection to it. I'm hoping someone could point me in the direction of how to at least approach writing this type of shader, assuming its possible to do it like this.

6. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

hi,Everyone

I make shader for different platform,my shader have reflection,which required shader model 3.0,and some low mobile device like micromax my shader not working,how to automatic switch shader according to graphic card?how to add subshader?

Dev

7. Em-de-Nem

Em-de-Nem

Hi All,

first of all thanks for this great tool.

I also have a question, maybe you can answer it: I would need 2 mirrors facing each other on a corridor. It means that - in real life - they would make'infinite' reflections; of course I don't need that in Unity. But - for example in 3ds Max I can set limitations for the number of reflections. I would like to make something like that, but I have no idea is it possible to make it in Strumpy or not.

Can any hardcore user tell me if it is possible or not? I just would like to have 2-3 additional reflections to make it more realistic.

8. Max Ganiyev

Max Ganiyev

Hi there,

How to rotate cubemap in SSE? please help. It's for car reflection to Android. If someone has another idea for this please tell me :)

$hdr.jpg

that's my shader graph
    $graph.jpg

Thank you
    Sorry for my bad English

Last edited: May 14, 2013
  9. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey there friend, I already figured this out... :) Nice to see it works in Unity 4... btw, in your graph, you don't need an UnpackNormal... use a Tex2DNormal

10. FreeUnity3D

FreeUnity3D

I am waiting for Tim to tell me if I can add to the strumpy editor Git. (Tim if you want you can add the parts you like from the files below) But in the mean time if anyone is working on huge graphs and find the editor bogging down, I have reworked the OnGUi function and made it possible to disable the Undo/Redo capture, which can cause a couple second lag. You can toggle it back on intermittently to capture at certain times. I also added scaling of the graph being drawn so you can have more on the screen at once. I also added a button to collapsible the settings panel (again so you can see more nodes on the screen). I also added some functionality for people on laptops that do not have a middle mouse button. If you feel like you need this you can get the files at the bottom of the page below. There is also a quick explanation of shortcut keys.
    $LargeGraph.png
    Download files can be found at the bottom of the page below.
    https://sites.google.com/site/freeunity3d/home/strumpy-editor-shortcut-keys
    Btw, I love the strumpy editor. :)

11. cow1787

cow1787

Hello all,

I'm having some trouble with a shader and hope to go about recreating (and inevitably fixing it) in Strumpy. I'm trying to make a vertex lit transparent shader for a smoke particle effect. The problem I'm running into seems to do with how the vertex lit shader and the particle billboards work, I think. From one side it looks fine (decent), but if I move to the other side of the smoke, it's not lit at all. The light source is attached the the player controller, so it's definitely moved to the other side.

I'm thinking if I made a vertex lit shader with view direction, it'll make sure the normal spun around the right way when facing the camera? Any thoughts?

Here is an example of what the smoke looks like with the default Unity particles VertexLit Blended shader
    $H6gMLvW.jpg

Here is how it looks with a shader I wrote by piecing parts I found from other shaders
    $n53y9xL.jpg

And finally, for some reason...the Normal Direction on the particle itself, when switched to 1 makes it more visible (gets rid of the dark spots) when looking at it...though I thought 0 was supposed to be facing the camera, not 1
    $ooPEKRt.jpg

This is what my shader looks like. I can set up the main stuff like diffuse map, color, etc etc in Strumpy, but I'm not sure how to do vertex lit or view direction.
    Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/ML_TransVert2" {
    2. Properties {
    3.     _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    4.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Trans (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    5.     _SpecColor ("Spec Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    6. }
    8. SubShader {
    9.     Tags {"Queue"="Transparent" "IgnoreProjector"="True" "RenderType"="Transparent"}
    10.     Tags {"LightMode" = "Vertex"}
    11.     Cull Off
    12.     Lighting On
    13.     ColorMaterial AmbientAndDiffuse
    14.     ZWrite Off
    15.     ColorMask RGB
    16.     Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    17.     AlphaTest Greater .01
    18.     Pass {
    19.         Material {
    20.             Diffuse [_Color]
    21.             Ambient [_Color]
    22.             Specular [_SpecColor]
    23.             }
    24.             SeparateSpecular On
    25.         SetTexture [_MainTex] { combine texture * primary DOUBLE, texture * primary  }
    26.     }
    27. }
    28. }
    TL;DR - I'm trying to set up a Vertex Lit Alpha Shader that goes off View Direction for a Smoke Particle - I'm not even sure if it'll fix my issue though.

12. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

They said this was open source. How do I see the code?

13. Cripplette

Cripplette

Did you read the first post ? ...

14. Blinsquito

Blinsquito

Were you ever able to get this to work? If so how? I tried multiplying the object2world matrix with the normal vector and view vector but nothing seems to convert it over to spherical mapping.

15. cupsster

cupsster

I would like to know how to recreate this MatCap shader in strumpy as well, right now I'm struggling with definition how to map ball lookup texture with nodes so it color mesh properly...
    Any help is welcome.

16. feddarkk

feddarkk

greetings guys! I'm CGartist and I had been searching the way how to use custom lightmaps with custom UV2, unless I got it with SSE! see the result: strong lightmaps which everyone needs! $Screenshot_2013-06-10-08-36-01.png $11.jpg
    BUT it caused serious fps fall on mobile platform! perhaps SSE generated too hard code. if anyone who may some kind of codding would be so friendly and would optimise/recode this S*** for android, share it in this thread? I attached shader and graph screen below
    $33.jpg https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/84629/lightmapped.zip

Last edited: Jun 10, 2013
  17. Tiki832

Tiki832

Out of curiosity how exactly did you get Strumpy to work without issue using Unity 4.x?

Checking out the repository it seems there have been no new commits since April, and would be quite a shame if people were doing their own private work to make Strumpy compatible with Unity 4.x and not pushing their fixes as a branch for others to access given that it was all offered openly in the first place. :(

18. sebbo1473

sebbo1473

Sorry, but how to switch on the preview window, this tab is missing...

19. test123

test123

hey everyone, I've tried looking for help with eye shading but I've come to an impass. My main goal here is to just move the built in highlight, which i've been making by basically inverting a rim light, and shifting it to be in the upper right corner of the eye, instead of the center. I tried adding x, y, and z to the camera, but then it only shifts well at certain distance, and multiply doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere, are there any other tips for 'shifting' the view by an angle? Thank you.

$eyeball_help.jpg

20. jamie_D

jamie_D

Hey folks,

i was just wondering if anyone had any kind of splat map example or shader that would perform well?

Currently using Terrain for mobile but what I would like to be able to do is set a grass texture to a different UV so it will always blend between other orientated UVS.
    Terrain for mobile supports up to 4 textures so this is the number of textures id be looking for.

if anyone has any resources or links it would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers

21. Aurelio_hl2

Aurelio_hl2

Will have a version For 4X? :confused: :D
    need support for directx 11
    $error.png

22. jamie_D

jamie_D

I have managed to get that working but I have really obvious seams on the model - i assumed that the image would be Uv'd according to the view direction?

Last edited: Jun 26, 2013
  23. jamie_D

jamie_D

I have managed to get it acting like a sphere lit objecy - however I get seams from the Uvs, but i thought this should be camera dependant and not rely on the UVs?

$Screen Shot 2013-06-26 at 11.14.24.png

24. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

As far as I know:

Strumpy does work with Unity 4x.
    Strumpy does not support Dx11.

(fixed)

25. pinkhair

pinkhair

It does, as long as you enable it and you have a dx11 GPU.

26. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Typo! My bad... Tired.

If you look at this page:
    docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/SL-ShaderPrograms.html

... you will see the following:

Rendering platforms
    d3d11 - Direct3D 11.

The warnings you are getting:
    "Shader warning in 'ShaderEditor/EditorShaderCache': Program 'vert_surf', implicit truncation of vector type (compiling for d3d11) at line 28"

... is compiling for d3d11, which is not, afaik, supported by Strumpy.

27. alone1992

alone1992

excuse me now can we use strumpy in unity4.1.5 or not??

28. trasher258

trasher258

I'm using it in Unity 4 1.5 right now so... yeah it does work.
    That and I made my first few basic shaders with this such as a simple hologram effect. Keep it up Tim C!

29. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

What I was trying to say was that strumpy currently does work with Unity 4, but not with DX11.

Strumpy does work with Unity 4.x

Strumpy does not work with DX11.

I'm not sure if it will be updated to DX11.

30. pinkhair

pinkhair

Strumpy doesn't seem to work for me in 4.x, even after I disable dx11- is it because I have a dx11 gpu?

31. nonhz

nonhz

hello there, can i somehow add as public the fog options of shader

32. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

I would assume that you could fallback to something other than DX11 specific material. Shaders written by hand and built in shaders should work on your system, no?

Can you tell us how this fails on your system?

33. Spelle

Spelle

Hello! I'm trying to make translucent shader - imagine leaves lit by sun. I think that I need to get light direction. If anybody could explain, how this kind of translucent effect can be approached, it will be cool. Thank you.

34. WhendricSo

WhendricSo

Not updated for over 2 years!

Is this abandoned?

35. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, it is open source! So, it's only as abandoned as you want it to be! (~.^)

I'm unclear what improvements, if any, have been made.

Have you checked out the repository?

https://github.com/stramit/SSE

36. Frozan

Frozan

how hard would it be to setup this editor to take advantage of the recently published skyshop?

37. Boomsma1995

Boomsma1995

As i got quite annoyed with the warnings coming from the shaders made by SSE i played around with the shaders. I removed the "out Input o" from the vert part and founded that it no longer generated the warnings and the shaders work in dx11. I dont know what for consequences this has. If somebody would explain, that would be nice.

http://pastebin.com/VRxbarsC

To apply this sort of fix, replace your ShaderTemplate with the pastebin link above. You can find ShaderTemplate easily by searching.

38. DrEvil

DrEvil

I'm trying to make a couple shaders so that if my model is occluded by something, the occluded parts are rendered with a solid color. This almost fully works, however the problem I am having is that it even renders the color over parts of itself that it occludes. I'm not sure why it would do this, as the highlight shader uses ztest greater, so if I understand correctly, the pixels from the first pass written with the base texture should be equal, so as a result should not render. Anyone have an idea what might be wrong?

39. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

great work.

40. RC-1290

RC-1290

The solution to these warnings given by the documentation, is to add
    Code (csharp):
    1. UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(Input,o);
    And indeed, when you add this to the vert function in the shader template, and re-export your shaders, the dx11 compiler warnings go away, so this seems like a good solution.

I've submitted a pull request for the change.

[Edit] The repository has been updated. You should no longer get these dx11 warnings with the latest version.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  41. Boomsma1995

Boomsma1995

Yeah nice, I also had this figured out with the initialize output function but i forgot to post it here :p, Great to see that the repository has been updated.

42. GameDev_Bryan

GameDev_Bryan

I'm attempting to create a comic shader, halftone and all that. I've got the halftone part working, the problem is that I've used fresnel to control the gradation of the halftone, multiplying it against the halftone pattern before hitting it with a step to sharpen the halftone. Is there any way to access the lighting, I suppose the luminance of an asset on the pixel graph, so I can have the pattern show against a directional light?

Secondly, any thoughts on an edge detection shader, to draw an inked edge inside the geometry, not a projected edge like the toon shader? Surely someone's accomplished that in Strumpy?

Thanks,

Bryan

43. Earlybird

Earlybird

Hi,
    Im an artist (so no real shader script experience) I love this tool! but I cant get anything to show in vertex lit other than black?
    any ideas?

Thanks!

44. RC-1290

RC-1290

I haven't tried creating vertex lit shaders in Strumpy Shader editor (I guess you could output to the color, in the vertex graph, but you'd have to do the lighting manually, and that wouldn't combine well with the rest of the generated surface shader), but you could make it fall back to a built-in shader, for devices that don't support your fragment lit shader.

To do that: go to the settings tab in Strumpy Shader Editor, and under 'Culling and Depth Settings' check 'enable LOD'. You can check the documentation to get an idea of appropriate LOD values. If you have an appropriate fallback shader (Also under settings, right underneath shader name), it should switch to that when you switch to the Vertex Lit render path or when you reduce the LOD in another way. (Although oddly enough, the last time I worked with this, I could only get it to work correctly for the 'Mobile/VertexLit' fallback.)

45. Earlybird

Earlybird

Hi RC-1290
    Thanks for the reply, I have tried all sorts of combinations but unfortunately I dont have enough experience to work out if this is even possible with the strumpy shader editor or if im just not doing something right?
    Ideally I need a shader that will work with vertex lit camera settings and openGL es1.1?
    All im currently trying to do is create a simple texture blend shader with a mask....

Here's my current code from strumpy:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "TextureBlend"
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5. _MainColour("_MainColour", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    6. _lightingColour("_lightingColour", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    7. _VertexColour("_VertexColour", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    8. _Range("_Range", Range(0,1) ) = 0.5
    9. _Texture01("_Texture01", 2D) = "white" {}
    10. _Texture02("_Texture02", 2D) = "white" {}
    11. _Mask("_Mask", 2D) = "white" {}
    13.     }
    15.     SubShader
    16.     {
    17.         Tags
    18.         {
    19. "Queue"="Transparent"
    20. "IgnoreProjector"="False"
    21. "RenderType"="Transparent"
    23.         }
    26. Cull Back
    27. ZWrite On
    28. ZTest LEqual
    29. ColorMask RGBA
    30. Fog{
    31. }
    34.         CGPROGRAM
    35. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhongEditor  vertex:vert
    36. #pragma target 2.0
    39. float4 _MainColour;
    40. float4 _lightingColour;
    41. float4 _VertexColour;
    42. float _Range;
    43. sampler2D _Texture01;
    44. sampler2D _Texture02;
    45. sampler2D _Mask;
    47.             struct EditorSurfaceOutput {
    48.                 half3 Albedo;
    49.                 half3 Normal;
    50.                 half3 Emission;
    51.                 half3 Gloss;
    52.                 half Specular;
    53.                 half Alpha;
    54.                 half4 Custom;
    55.             };
    57.             inline half4 LightingBlinnPhongEditor_PrePass (EditorSurfaceOutput s, half4 light)
    58.             {
    59. float4 Luminance0= Luminance( _lightingColour.xyz ).xxxx;
    60. return Luminance0;
    62.             }
    64.             inline half4 LightingBlinnPhongEditor (EditorSurfaceOutput s, half3 lightDir, half3 viewDir, half atten)
    65.             {
    66.                 half3 h = normalize (lightDir + viewDir);
    68.                 half diff = max (0, dot ( lightDir, s.Normal ));
    70.                 float nh = max (0, dot (s.Normal, h));
    71.                 float spec = pow (nh, s.Specular*128.0);
    73.                 half4 res;
    74.                 res.rgb = _LightColor0.rgb * diff;
    75.                 res.w = spec * Luminance (_LightColor0.rgb);
    76.                 res *= atten * 2.0;
    78.                 return LightingBlinnPhongEditor_PrePass( s, res );
    79.             }
    81.             struct Input {
    82.                 float2 uv_Texture01;
    83. float2 uv_Texture02;
    84. float2 uv_Mask;
    86.             };
    88.             void vert (inout appdata_full v, out Input o) {
    89. float4 Luminance0= Luminance( _VertexColour.xyz ).xxxx;
    90. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_0_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    91. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_2_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    92. float4 VertexOutputMaster0_3_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    93. v.color = Luminance0;
    96.             }
    99.             void surf (Input IN, inout EditorSurfaceOutput o) {
    100.                 o.Normal = float3(0.0,0.0,1.0);
    101.                 o.Alpha = 1.0;
    102.                 o.Albedo = 0.0;
    103.                 o.Emission = 0.0;
    104.                 o.Gloss = 0.0;
    105.                 o.Specular = 0.0;
    106.                 o.Custom = 0.0;
    108. float4 Tex2D1=tex2D(_Texture01,(IN.uv_Texture01.xyxy).xy);
    109. float4 Multiply1=_MainColour * Tex2D1;
    110. float4 Tex2D2=tex2D(_Texture02,(IN.uv_Texture02.xyxy).xy);
    111. float4 Tex2D0=tex2D(_Mask,(IN.uv_Mask.xyxy).xy);
    112. float4 Splat0=Tex2D0.x;
    113. float4 Multiply0=Splat0 * _Range.xxxx;
    114. float4 Lerp0=lerp(Multiply1,Tex2D2,Multiply0);
    115. float4 Master0_1_NoInput = float4(0,0,1,1);
    116. float4 Master0_2_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    117. float4 Master0_3_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    118. float4 Master0_4_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    119. float4 Master0_5_NoInput = float4(1,1,1,1);
    120. float4 Master0_7_NoInput = float4(0,0,0,0);
    121. float4 Master0_6_NoInput = float4(1,1,1,1);
    122. o.Albedo = Lerp0;
    124.                 o.Normal = normalize(o.Normal);
    125.             }
    126.         ENDCG
    127.     }
    128.     Fallback "Diffuse"
    129. }

46. chillichips

chillichips

Is there a way to use vertex colors in the lighting graph? I'm wanting to use it for Ambient Occlusion where the lit bits have no AO and the shadowed bits have full AO.
    Or is there a way to do this in the pixel/lighting graph already?

EDIT: GTA IV and Fuel uses this kind of effect, though Fuel is using a texture instead of vertex colors.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2013
  47. frankrs

frankrs

I used the tool to create a shadder recently that used the 4 vertex color channels to blend splatmaps as an alternative to the built in terrain engine. you could probably do something similar to a lightmap

48. smiljan66

smiljan66

So strumphy now works in unity 4 with direct x 11? so i dont have to do nothing and just downlaod free from asset store? wil be huge if this nwo works on directx 11.

49. Jiraiyahsama

Jiraiyahsama

Hi guys, I have posted a Pm to the developer but no response yet, so I'm posting it here and ask for your idea, please answer :

-----------------------------Posted Message----------------------------
    Hi Tim
    I had Shader Fusion and was looking in it's code, the guy who developed it, is putting some tags inside the shader file so that the visual editor can load it later on, in other words, it's not able to open and edit anything that is written by hand or found on web.
    is your editor able to open any shader that is NOT made by your editor?

also, I like reverse engineering great stuff like yours and I make videos on you tube about them, considering that your project is open source, would you mind if I start such a video series on your project? (with credits for you in videos off course)

also if you let me, considering that your project is already written in c#, can i make the dll version of it with the video series?

also i didn't check the complete list of nodes you support, is there any difference in supporting nodes with shader fusion? if so, can i compare and add what is missing?

thanks.
    -----------------------------------------End of posted message---------------------------------------------

so what do you think guys?

50. rahuxx

rahuxx

what videos you are talking about buddy?