Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. anadin

anadin

This is a normal warning and you can ignore it - Strumpy doesn't make DX11 shaders - are you on a Mac (Mac also doesn't do DX11) I get it all the time

2. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Looking at the competition I'd say a shader editor similar to SSE should be pretty high on the "Todo" list at UT.

3. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Yep.

4. bb0x

bb0x

I figured the reason Unity hired Stramit to work on a Shader Editor..

5. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

YAY, for open source!

Edit: What license was SSE released under?

Just curious :)

6. karl_

karl_

Let the forking commence! I'm very excited to read through this.

7. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Anybody know what the difference between "Vertex Color" and "Vertex In Color" is?

"Vertex In Color" being the one that appears when you are working in the Vertex graph section.

Edit: Nevermind - I realized that they're effectively the same thing, just meant for different graph views.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  8. Zarenityx

Zarenityx

Love it! I just got this a few days ago, and it makes good graphics MUCH easier! ShaderLab makes NO sense to me whatsoever, and unlike JavaScript or C# there is little documentation on the Unity website (or many other places, for that matter), but custom shaders really come in handy.

One thing. I use Unity Free and I heard the realtime preview only works in Unity Pro. I looked on the tutorials and the ones that used Pro had a 'preview' button on the bottom of the property editor/node list. Is it true that the preview only works with pro? If so, is there any way to get it to work in free, possibly using the same method Unity uses when working with the built-in material preview? I don't know if it's just a limitation of the API, but it would be great to have a working preview so I could see exactly what is happening.

Again, thank you for the amazing shader editor. It makes making good graphics WAY easier.

9. cynel

cynel

its shame to see you go but its for the best

10. Finjitzu

Finjitzu

Just tried this and I'm loving it. But for some reason when I build for Android the shader is always falling back to Diffuse. I setup a pretty basic shader but I'm masking the Alpha to disable the glow effect.

Any tips to making sure the shaders work on the Android platform? Thanks.

11. Graphicalgeek

Graphicalgeek

First off, awesome contribution to the Unity community! SSE is great!

I made this shader for fading high end interactive product displays without tons of sorting errors like most transparent shaders, so its like a blend of cutout and alpha blend. It supports Diffuse - Spec - Normal - Specular Power - Reflection Mapped through the Spec Map, and Transparency.

Enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You will have to change the shader's fallback to something else :)

13. Junkie_XL

Junkie_XL

Is there a way to make a shader that supports object space normal maps with strumpy?

14. Hotsun

Hotsun

All shaders I made with SSE are showing only black color after importing to Unity 4 and each shader has some warnings right now.
    What should I do???

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Any word on this working in Unity 4? I am getting ready to update to it and I would like to hear the experiences of people using Unity 4...

16. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

With dx 11 mode SSE shaders have problem,how to solve?i also worry about this because i also want sse shaders use with dx 11.anyone please help!!!

17. cynel

cynel

we have to make it work on unity 4

18. J_P_

J_P_

Is there a collection of node graphs people have made? Just getting started, looking for examples.

19. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

The package it self have some examples .

Also you can find some on this thread too .

20. god3ila

god3ila

Hi everyone!

First post here, and first question too. I'm desperate to make a simple UV Panning shader :?. Can someone explain to me if there's a tricks to see the panning in action? Should I add some script or anything like this?

Here is a screenshot of my graph :

Thanks a lot!

21. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

No . It looks Ok .

Do you give Flout a value ? It might be 0 by default

22. god3ila

god3ila

Okay, I guess I had some refresh issues, I don't know what it was, but I've restarted Unity, switched between projects and reloaded my scene and now it works fine.
    I got one more question : is there a way to see the shader in action in the viewport, or is it only available on the strumpy preview and on play mode?

23. budukratok

budukratok

Hi everyone!

I'm trying to make planet shader, but I have a little problem - how can I detect a dark side of the planet? I think this is must be something with Light Color in Lighting graph, but I can't find that :(

Screenshot from Unity 3.5:
    -deleted

-deleted

LightingCustomNode - this is input from pixel graph,in my case this is lights under clouds (lights under clouds disappear). I want to make that lights on dark side of the planet.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  24. rahuxx

rahuxx

DirectX 11 support?

25. budukratok

budukratok

This is screenshot from 3.5

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm using Unity 4.0 Pro and attempting a simple emissive shader. No matter what I do, I can't see to get the emission to affect static lightmaps. When switching to the basic unity self illumination shaders, it works as expected. Help!

27. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

In the shader name, make you you put in the tag "self-illumin". Example Neptuneimaging/character/Self-Illumin/Emission... hope that helps.

28. test123

test123

hello, I'm trying to get alpha cutout to work right in Strumpy, but I'm running into this problem:

Lighting is still applied to the transparent areas. I've attached my graph and settings based off of google searching but I need more help. I've tried searching through here so if someone has answered this issue and you know the source, please link to the post. Thank you!

29. 1337GameDev

1337GameDev

I am curious if strumpy shader editor will support if statements and custom nodes anytime soon. I am curious when others will fork this project now that its open source to support these features.

Right now you can simulate conditionals with step, but its a bit cumbersome.
    I also wish there was a help file or centralized documentation database for this tool. It's great, but took me awhile to find the PDF for the documentation for this.

Great tool nonetheless, I love the idea and how intuitive it is!

30. Brad-Newman

Brad-Newman

Definitely think the Shader Graph project should be a priority for UT. DX11 rendering doesn't really add much value without complex shaders that can take advantage of it.

31. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

What the graph does is to offer a boxes and arrows interface for shader programming. Everything that can be done in Strumpy can easily be done in Shader Lab. Once Strammit stopped supporting it, it took me less than a week to jump in and learn Shader Lab. Everyone can do this, no exception.

So yes, DX11 rendering is valuable... Only for those who choose to use the built-in shader editor instead of a deprecated third party plugin.

32. Cascho01

Cascho01

What about Strumpy Shader Editor - is it still supported / developed or is it dead?
    I don´t get any actual documentation ( e.g. about the nodes and what they actually do) and would like to know if we are able to move vertices based on texture or paint vertex colours based on texture.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  33. acropole

acropole

Cascho01, it's dead but it is currently on the way of resurection inside unity studio. It will be an official unity tool at some point.

34. nipoco

nipoco

Not quite.
    They did a prototype during Ninja camp which is made from scratch afaik.

But it's not clear when this will arrive in Unity, if ever.

35. Cascho01

Cascho01

I see. It´s really a "must have" for Unity, or what do you think?

And, besides unitys documentation, what are some good resources to get into writing shaders for unity (ShaderLab) being an absolute beginner?

36. nipoco

nipoco

Yes it is absolutely crucial to have that, because Unity's default shader are not so great. You can vote for that feature at Unity's feedback site here. But I guess they will implement it sooner or later, since the status there is 'planned'

Regarding the shader tutorial for beginners. Over at Unity Cookie, there have a tutorial series about writing shaders. Here is the link to the first one.

37. Phantomx

Phantomx

Hey guys!

I'm starting to learn SSE, so far I think you can do some pretty nice stuff with it!
    I took a look at the graphs that comes with it and I tried to modify the UVpan one to be able to control the pan in both X and Y direction.
    I managed to do something that works, I'm just not sure if this is the best way to do it especially because I'm having 2 UV_Pan nodes....

So anyone has a better way of doing this?

Here's the graph:

Thanks!

38. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

Out of curiosity, is it possible to take the shader we create with this and then take the toon outline system from the toon shaders and add that in to it?

... or would that cause problems?

Reason I ask is that i'm trying to find a way to make the shaders i'm going to need but it seems that the outline that i like from the standard-assets toon shader is a bit out of strumpy's league.

39. Redz0ne

Redz0ne

So, having read through quite a few pages, as powerful as it is, it's not quite what i was hoping for for this particular case.

Still, really awesome package!

That said... If the unity devs are working on something like this (please-oh-please!!!) support for multi-pass so we can do things like having overlays, toon outlines, etc.

still, nice package and i lament that it's been abandoned. so much potential (though, a wiki or help site to help with understanding the various nodes and such is key but i guess that would come with me understanding shader programming which i do not.)

40. AlecMoody

AlecMoody

I was happily using SSE until I committed my files to version control and then pulled down an update from another person. Now I get spammed with errors related to "ReflectionTypeLoadException". Everyone else gets the same error. Deleting the strumpy folder and reinstalling does not fix it. Any ideas? Unity 4 Pro.

Everything still works in a local copy of my project folder. What areas should I check for changes?

EDIT:
    Fixed this. One of our plugins was using .net 4 which for some reason is causing this error.\

Last edited: Feb 26, 2013
  41. Junkie_XL

Junkie_XL

Would somebody mind making this work with Unity 4?

42. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I know this has probably been asked to death, but now I would like to know if there is a way to make an input like this in strumpy Spec (R) Gloss (G) Reflection (B)... I found a new method for doing these kind of textures, and I want to set up my existing shaders this way now :)... anyone know how to do this?

43. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Here is a new shader that I put together in an effort to optimise the shaders that I made for my game... I got everything working nearly, expect that the gloss/spec are showing up as green, and the reflections are showing up as blue...

View attachment 46672

Here is the graph... which is much smaller in comparison to my other shader...

$Pixel-Graph.png

Now is there a way in this set up to get the correct ranges... I want this to to be treated as if it were grayscale... I have seen many shaders with these embedded channels and now I see why it's done... I hope to get some help on this... thanks.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 14, 2013
  44. anadin

anadin

Seems the attachments are broken?

45. AlecMoody

AlecMoody

anyone else having issues since the new unity pro build this week?

46. dorpeleg

dorpeleg

Hi, using unity 3.5.5f3

I'm getting this errors for NodeEditorWindow.cs

(6,10): error CS0616: `MenuItem': is not an attribute class
    (6,10): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `MenuItemAttribute' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Anyone knows how to solve this?

47. smiljan66

smiljan66

So stramit didnt had the change to put the realtime reflections wihtout thre need to put extra codes and attachingthing ts to theobject ect?
    becuase will ebnie if strmphy had that realtime reflection to reflect all the realtime enviroment ,that willl a gooden for sebut any one kowo if he did that chamge?

48. johnny12345

johnny12345

Is it possible to make a diffuse overlay shader with this,so 2 diffuse and 2 bump and blend them together

Thanks

49. 1337GameDev

1337GameDev

I actually second this. I tried using this with unity 4, and it does very odd things, and breaks editor draw code for me. (errors in compiled shaders with this, and errors when using the strumpty editor window are displayed in the console)

50. InfernalMel

InfernalMel

nice car paint can you show the structure please?