Search Unity

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. thomaslilja

thomaslilja

2. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

3. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

Guys no one knows about my problem ?

I really need to solve it .

STARMIT PLZ HEEEEEEEEEEELP

4. stiltskin

stiltskin

hey guys!

I'm working on a shader to be used by particles because I want a transparent, soft particle that are also lit by the directional - which Unity does not supply for some reason. My only problem is that I can't seem to get the particles to not cast shadows. i have Ignore projectors turned on, but it's not making any difference.

Is there a way of doing this?

Thanks!

5. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

work with unity4?

6. stiltskin

stiltskin

if you're replying to me, no. I have 3.5.5

7. Vert

Vert

I just back back into SSE after being away from it for almost a year and found a weird glitch on my machine. Whenever I open up the SEE window in Unity my CPU usage for Unity.exe*32 jumps up to 20-30% without me even doing anything.

I am running Unity 3.5.5f3 "free" on Windows 7 Pro x64 on a Phenom II X4 3.5Ghz. I noticed that when I click on any menu in Unity(SSE or Main Editor Window) my cpu usage will drop back to 0%. Oddly enough, pressing play on my very basic scene drops the CPU usage down from 20% to 10% if the SSE window is left open.

Anyone else have this trouble? I only noticed because my fan's revved up and stayed up only when using SSE.

I did reinstall unity and SSE and nothing fixed it. Is SSE supposed to use so much CPU power when idle? Or is this related to the fact that the free version can't render the real time view of the shader in progress? Any help/advice would be appreciated.

8. TechnicalArtist

TechnicalArtist

ok

9. stiltskin

stiltskin

Pretty sure that's the preview window. When that window is open on my machine, the perfs tank. Try closing it to see if it helps at all.

10. Vert

Vert

Hmm, I had thought I missed something but I don't have a preview window at all and the problem still exists. I only have the graph window. I even went into the SSE assets and tried renaming/deleting the StrumpyPreviewWindow.cs file which didn't break anything or fix the issue. I have since reinstalled SSE and it still has the same problem.

I am using SSE 4.0.

11. Vert

Vert

I have been working on advancing my shader that used 20% cpu and now my CPU jumps up to 50% usage while using SSE. 20% I thought I could deal with but the editor using 50% of 3.5Ghz quad core? Something is not right. Anyone else ever have this issue? Any ideas on how to resolve this? I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Unity and SSE, neither worked.

12. Demnus

Demnus

Vert,
    Well, when I use quiet a number of nodes it really starts to lag a lot. But I'm talking now about a really huge number of nodes. Tough for a 3rd model shader this number of nodes still does not reach out to limitations of available number of instructions, so this is a limitation to build a really complex effects.
    Also, holding opened SSE window along with testing a game scene leads to strange behavior of statistic display. The number of VBO total, in this case, tends to grow rapidly, even tough the memory usage and overall performance doesn't change so much. And yes, this tend to happen only if SSE window is opened.

13. Alismuffin

Alismuffin

Thanks for this excellent free plugin!
    Exactly what I was looking for

Here's my shader I created with it (Using a free source model and textures)

It takes Diffuse, Normal, Specular, Emmision and glow maps, has adjustable normal depth and gloss factor

14. Vert

Vert

Demnus,

I figured with a lot of nodes it would matter, but just a simple diffuse shader with no frills, just a single texture uses 20% of my CPU. Attached (right click and view the image(~1920x1080 image)is a screen of the graph I am working with that uses between 38-48% CPU just having the shader editor window open. If I open any menu in Unity or play test the CPU usage drops to expected normal lower levels as I stated in my previous posts. I do not keep SSE window open while play testing my game but only did so to see if the CPU changed, which it does. As shown in the screen shot I am just in the main editor window and have opened the SSE window to work and get 45% CPU usage doing nothing else.

The shader I am working on is a detail shader. This shader allows a base color to be set and then uses an alpha to decide how much of the detail texture will be shown on top of the base color. (not sure if that's the order it renders, but its the idea I used to approach the problem). Think of something like Halo's armor color chooser, but instead of having a set number of colors, you can enter RGB values or use a color picker to customize an objects color ingame. That was the end goal. To keep details, but allow color choice without the color being baked into the texture.

So anyway, this is what I am working on and getting such large performance hits with the SSE window open. Just looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues. This doesn't seem normal or expected. Since I am using Unity free I have no preview window. To me it looks as if I am just placing nodes on screen, but 2 cores at 3.5GHZ are chugging away at almost full power to allow me to do this.

Side note: if anyone finds this graph useful, please go ahead and use it or learn from it. And if you find something horribly wrong with it let me know, as I would like to take this concept shader and turn it into something that can be used in a game. Really I just wanted a proof of concept shader. I will be redesigning this to optimize the number of textures used, nodes required etc for my final product. This is very much so a W.I.P.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. Demnus

Demnus

Vert,
    It appears that I'm to have this issue with 50% cpu load. Just never checked this before.
    It may be caused by redrawing cycle of SSE window. It can be active even when we're doing nothing with it.

My specular reflection shader. With controllable contrast of reflection.

16. stiltskin

stiltskin

Hey guys,

does anyone know how I can tell SSE to reuse the same frame buffer grab for multiple instances of an object that have distortion? I'm making tile-able river pieces but at the connection I can see the edge of the frame bleeding into my grab. I assume it's because each mesh is doing it's own grab. It's either that, or I need to find some way of making sure the grab filters out what ever is above it in world space - it may also be the edge of the screen causing that. Any ideas? Thanks!

17. Dubious-Drewski

Dubious-Drewski

I am so excited to see such a utility exists, but I am having trouble simply trying to follow along in the documentation.

Page 2
    "Click the box on the left of the color node (it's output) to start drawing a connection, and place it on the Albedo input of the Master node."
    - There's no such thing. There's nothing called "Albedo" anywhere on the interface. What does this mean?

"With this, you can now hit “Update Shader” and have the preview display reflect your new shader"
    -There is no "Update Shader" button anywhere on the interface. What's going on?

I'd love to use this utility, and in my excitement I was about to donate (Because it looks well deserved), but now I'm just frustrated, and I begin to wonder how confusing the rest of the documentation will be.

Any help?

18. Demnus

Demnus

Documentation are just outdated now.
    I believe Albedo of master node now is a diffuse input.
    Update shader is a button of preview window, which isn't available on Free version of Unity. You should just Export your shader and see it takes effect in your scene.
    Also there is number of changes in nodes. At least it's a relief that the nodes has pop-up descriptions inside the editor itself, so you wont be lost too much.

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Wow, you just saved me a ton of trouble... I've been trying to do a blurry reflection too... how long did it take you to solve it?

20. stiltskin

stiltskin

confirming. Albedo is the technical term for diffuse. He just changed in recent versions to make it more user friendly. A diffuse texture is what typically is used in the Albedo pass.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  21. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Nice setup man... I've been trying to get blurry reflections too... but it is has been very painful to do...

22. Demnus

Demnus

For now it's not blurry ^^ It's contrasted. Brighter bright areas, darker dark areas... Also it's done with some desaturation. The idea was that it will lead to fake HDR look. And I think it does. As long as I don't have Unity Pro. ^^

But when you mentioned about blurry reflection I thought about it.
    Well it's possible to blur the image with bilinear algorithm or even Gaussian(just google it). The algorithms seams to me pretty implementable with SSE. But there is a problem there. You must sample the texture multiple times with offset. That means we should have the access to UV of cubemap. But it's controlled with some built in algorithms involving normals. Well we can offset the normal maps but it will lead to blurry normals which is undesired.
    So the only way to do so is to recreate cubemap by ourselves instead of using the built in one. And this looks for me to be quiet a contraption.

23. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Drat...well I guess I will deal...

24. numberkruncher

numberkruncher

Hi,

In your extension it says "Features include: In editor preview (Pro only)". I have been chatting with someone and they say that you are now using the advanced rendering hack to workaround limitations with RenderTextures in the editor.

Does this mean that your in editor previews now work with non-pro?

Cheers

25. Vert

Vert

I am using the latest version of Unity free and I can confirm the preview window is not present in SSE 4. All you will see is the node editor.

26. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Hey guys, is anyone here working in Linear Colour space in Unity Pro? I have been encountering these very weird issues with my texture maps, particularly colour banding and odd behaviour with the rendering and I want to ask if there is a way to make sure that the shaders we create will automatically correct themselves to work in Linear Colour space... thanks

27. anadin

anadin

We did some fiddling with this, if you are using Photoshop check you have the RGB profiles embedded.

You can also look in the advanced area of texture importer and play with the bypass sRGB sampling but it might just be compression - maybe fiddle with those? the difference you should see with linear vs gamma is not being able to get the same colour between your editing app and in game, they textures will either appear lighter or darker not normally a banding problem

28. Zen-Davis

Zen-Davis

Is this software dead?

29. Cascho01

Cascho01

Are there any more example-graphs than delivered with package available?
    Want to make a simple cubemap-shader.....

Also would like to know if it´s dead, too. Last Update was done march 24, 2011

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  30. jwinn

jwinn

I was just wondering this myself, while trying to decide whether to use ShaderLab or Strumpy's tool. I found this tidbit from a Gamasutra Article from Sept 2011:

"We now have people full time whose job is to find content out there and get it on the store," he noted. Three tool success stories he pointed out were uScript, a graphical scripting language "designed by some of the guys who had a hand in Unreal Kismet," RAGEspline, a "really high quality" 2D vector graphics tool, and Strumpy Shader Editor, a tool made by a former 2K Australia BioShock developer that is "so awesome we had to go out and hire him," said Francis.

I have a feeling that a visual shader editor will be available in a Future version of Unity. I don't see it listed for Unity 4, so maybe the release after that? I'd be interested to hear more on the subject.

31. eikons

eikons

I'm having a problem - I'm new to Unity so forgive me if it's something really obvious.

I imported a model and a bunch of textures. I made a shader with Strumpy's, saved it, made a material and applied it - then applied this to my model in game.

The material works fine in the shader preview, but renders black ingame and in unity's own little preview sphere.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Nevermind I fixed it. Turns out it was a problem with exporting, my bad.

Still not getting Alpha mapping to work though - any special advice on that?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2012
  32. larvantholos

larvantholos

Its not dead. Stramit still updates it, and its fairly stable without any major bugs right now. There is an issue with it working in 4 (when I last checked) but Stramit said in the beta forum he'd patch it sometime after unite.

33. LeonardKDev

LeonardKDev

Hello, can i batch materials with shader that i create with Strumpy Shader Editor?
    Thanks.

34. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You are going to need a Splatalpha plugged into the Alpha input... then plug a subtract into the vector part of the Splat alpha, and then plug a Float const into the subtract. You can also plug the alpha from the diffuse texture into a lerp. And for your normal map, I would not use Unpack normal for this... a regular Tex2dNormal should be sufficient

35. alexandre-fiset

alexandre-fiset

Hey Neptune, are you still looking for blurry reflections?

You should use texCUBEbias (_CubeMap, float4(worldRefl, _CubeMapRoughness)) instead of the usual texCube. You need to activate MipMaps on your CubeMap in order for it to work.

Here's an example of a Diffuse Specular Normal Reflective shader with working Cubemap roughness. I don't know if it is possible to do it in Strumpy, but you can still adapt your shader code after.

Code (csharp):
    1. Shader "Parabole/Reflective/DSNR_SpecAlpha" {
    2. Properties {
    4.         _Color ("Base Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    5.         _SpecColor ("Specular Color", Color) = (0.5, 0.5, 0.5, 1)
    6.         _Shininess ("Specular Shininess", Float) = 0.078125
    7.         _SpecStrength ("Gloss Strength", Float) = 1
    8.     _MainTex ("Base (RGB) Gloss (A)", 2D) = "white" {}
    10.         _CubeMapColor ("Reflection Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    11.         _CubeMapRoughness ("Reflection Roughness", Float) = 0
    12.         _CubeMapStrength ("Reflection Strength", Float) = 1
    13.     _CubeMap ("Reflection", Cube) = "" { TexGen CubeReflect }
    15.     _NormalMap ("Normal", 2D) = "bump" {}
    16. }
    18. SubShader {
    19.     Tags { "RenderType"="Opaque"}
    20.     LOD 400
    22. CGPROGRAM
    23. #pragma surface surf BlinnPhong fullforwardshadows
    24. #pragma target 3.0
    26. sampler2D _MainTex;
    27. sampler2D _NormalMap;
    28. samplerCUBE _CubeMap;
    30. fixed4 _Color;
    31. fixed4 _CubeMapColor;
    33. float _CubeMapStrength;
    34. float _CubeMapRoughness;
    36. float _SpecStrength;
    37. half _Shininess;
    40. struct Input {
    41.     float2 uv_MainTex;
    42.     float3 worldRefl;
    43.     float3 viewDir;
    44.     INTERNAL_DATA
    46. };
    48. void surf (Input IN, inout SurfaceOutput o) {
    50.     fixed4 tex = tex2D(_MainTex, IN.uv_MainTex);
    51.     o.Normal = UnpackNormal(tex2D(_NormalMap, IN.uv_MainTex));
    52.     o.Albedo = tex.rgb * _Color.rgb;
    54.     o.Gloss = tex.a * _SpecStrength;
    56.     o.Specular = _Shininess;
    58.     float3 worldRefl = WorldReflectionVector (IN, o.Normal);
    59.     fixed4 reflcol = texCUBEbias (_CubeMap, float4(worldRefl, _CubeMapRoughness));
    61.     o.Emission =  reflcol.rgb * _CubeMapColor *_CubeMapStrength;
    64. }
    65. ENDCG
    66. }
    68. FallBack "Specular"
    69. }

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is going to be a tough one... I would have to literally deconstruct my graph to make it work... and I am not a coder :(. Also I am using a script that does real time reflections...

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  37. PepperGameplay

PepperGameplay

A helping hand for God's sake.
    Missing bump effect after the lightmap baking.... What should I do?????

THANKS!!!!!

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Are you using Unity Pro?

39. anadin

anadin

Have you got 'Disable Forward Add' ticked in settings?

40. Alizarin

Alizarin

Hey Strumpy, how do I Dot the ViewDirection with the LightDirection? Can I access LightDirection in strumpy? Thanks for the help.

41. Lobinux

Lobinux

I have a question, how I can create an outline with strumpy shader editor?

42. Alizarin

Alizarin

I would try rendering the back facing polygons (cull the front ones). Render them a solid color, say bright pink. And in your vertex shader, offset them along their normals, just a little ways to give your outline some thickness. Then render your original object on top of that. I would expect that to give you a nice pink outline. Not perfect, but its similar to what Blender does when you select an object.

43. Alizarin

Alizarin

44. njackson4190

njackson4190

Is there a way to use the 2nd uv channel of a mesh. I saw the Full Mesh UV2 Node but I don't think that is what I am looking for. I am trying to impliment an input for a lightmap texture into one of my shaders that I am making.

Thanks

45. EhsanNeo

EhsanNeo

I think SSE does not support Light Dir .

I need it too ! damn

46. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

Within a day of my first time using it (and I'm new to shaders) I was able to make a shader that worked for me. Kudos to Strumpy.

Now all I have left is one word for you : fmod

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  47. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

Hello everyone,

I'm still new to shaders so please excuse the following questions.

1) I am using a texture's Alpha channel [0,1] as a lookup to a color ramp; in other words, I'm using it as the UV to another texture that contains the actual color I want to use. What I'm confused about is how does a single component value like Alpha map to a double-component value like UV? I am able to pipe the Alpha output of a Tex2D to the UV input of another Tex2D and all works well, but I'm wondering how is it mapping one value to an input that requires 2 values : U and V.

2) It turns out that I need more than the possible 256 colors that the Alpha channel gives me, so I want to steal a bit from the Red channel to give me a total of 512 values. How do I extract the Red component from the RGBA of a Tex2D and use that as the V, and how do pipe the Alpha channel to the U? The Text2D UV doesn't allow me to pipe values to the individual U and V components. I don't see any way of taking components from different areas and either feeding them discretely to individual components or piecing them together to form a bigger piece that can be assigned.

Many thanks!

Anthony

edit : never mind, I think I figured it out... everything is treated as either a 4-byte float single value or a 4-byte float with individual component values. To get what I want, I need to use a combination of functions, especially splats and masks.

edit2 : ok, i'm lost. I need to isolate the low-order bit of the Red component and for the life of me I can't figure it out. I've attempted to multiply the Red value by 128 in order to shift its bits left 7 times and get the low-order bit alone, but that doesn't work. I've tried multiplying against a Float4 [128/255, 0, 0, 0], Float4 [128, 0, 0, 0], and a Float [128] , but no dice. It's not doing what I expect at all, because if I multiply by 256 or 512 it doesn't clear up like an 8-bit value should when you do x << 8. In other words, I expect it to zero out, but it's definitely not zero. Any thoughts?

edit3 : stupid is as stupid does. it's a vector, so the length gets bigger. i need to use frac.

48. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

Does anyone happen to know why Tex2D's Alpha outputs a vector with both X and Y set? I mean, Alpha is a value between 0..255, so only one needs filling... what does the other have? I would think either X would be set or it would Splat it out internally so that X, Y, Z, and W have the same Alpha value.

Currently I need to Mask the Alpha output to let only the X through.

Anyone?

49. CThersipposK

CThersipposK

Hello there. I am new to strumpy and I would like to ask a question. I am trying to make a shader (like diffuse) but I want each face to have a little shading on it's edges. Is it even possible? Can I shade in a way each face slightly different? Even if the faces are parallel?

One more question: is srumy editor giong to be updated? I think vertex section should be updated.

Thank you very much.

50. AnthonyPaulO

AnthonyPaulO

I have a custom shader I made in Strumpy but would like for it to ignore lighting; in other words, act like Unity's Unlit shader. Anyone know how I can achieve this?