Search Unity

Strumpy Shader Editor [Now Open Source]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tim-C, Aug 2, 2010.

1. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

IMO this is much better than shaderfusion. I wish it had a zoom in/out function for graphs.
    Also needs more tutorials.

2. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

This new version is so easy to use, I love it! The detachable preview window is fantastic, and the new searchable interface makes finding the right node a breeze.

Thank you so much for this!

3. Spinland

Spinland

It was a first-time install, so there weren't any old versions to clean out.

I'll try a fresh project, as well as a different Mac (problem was on an iMac, I will also try it on a MacBook Pro), as soon as I can. I'm racing to get a school project done today, so it will be later today or some time tomorrow before I get time to try it.

Thanks!

4. Pirates

Pirates

i really like this only sad part is that i dont have pro so i cant see the preview haha

5. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

But if you have an object in your scene, give it the temp SSE shader and work that way, it'll update within your scene when you hit preview then, right?

6. Pirates

Pirates

Good idea

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

congrats to the new version, looks great :)

8. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

DepthBiasedAlpha seems not working, or it just me?

9. islanddreamer

islanddreamer

Bump.

Building from existing graphs that are in the ballpark of plastic, metal, stone, skin, etc. would be far preferable to building everything from scratch.

10. Spinland

Spinland

Okay, started a new project on my MacBook Pro and imported the editor package. From what I can tell off the bat, it's working fine. I'll be back on my iMac tomorrow and will try again from a fresh project there, as well.

11. sirdavid23

sirdavid23

Yes please, add my vote too. I was looking to have that kind of look exactly, so if there´s a chance,please post.
    Thank you very much.

David.

12. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Can this produce screen space or lens shaders?

13. Spinland

Spinland

Okay, I found what's causing the problem. My project accesses a MySQL database, and so among the Assets are two required DLLs, MySql.Data.dll and System.Data.dll. As soon as I moved those into the Assets folder of the new project I got the same errors when I tried to open the Shader Editor.

I've attached the offending DLLs in case you don't already have them.

Attached Files:

14. MaxGaniyev

MaxGaniyev

Hi! how can i create realtime noised reflection (old unity Water (PRO) shader) using SSE4?

Thanks!

15. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Thanks Seon. I've had some ideas about how to do this. I don't really want to built it into the editor (I hate apps that start adding 'bloaty' features). But I have some ideas... Might see something at around beta 5 or 6. I might even just call the next release 1.0 because it's feeling quite stable these days.

16. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We have plans for s set of video tutorials. Any ideas on what you want? (we will be starting simple and getting more complex)

17. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Do you have your camera in the scene marked up to write depth normals? That's required for depth biased alpha (as well as unity pro). If so can you send me your scene and I'll have a look to see whats wrong.

18. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

We'll be covering different material types in the some of the tutorials we do. Probably 1 a week, in video format.

19. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

SSE is for surface shaders only at the moment. Maybe one day there will be a post process effect version...

20. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Thanks for sharing the dll's I'll have a look tonight. Do you know off hand if they override any of the c# linq query libraries or serialization? That was where the exception was being thrown in my code.

21. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Hi,

To do this you will a script as well as a shader. We plan to put together a tutorial to show this and include the script in future versions of sse.

22. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

What does this error mean?

23. Spinland

Spinland

24. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Are you sampling a lot of textures in your shader?

From an earlier thread
    What you can try is turning on shader model 3 in the settings. If this still doesn't work you need to make some of your texture samples not use the 'built in' unity uv's and use the mesh UV's (mesh UV node). As this will reduce the number of interpolators.

25. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

3 2d images and 1 cube map is when I get the error. No cubemap = no error. There's a limit on how many textures I can sample? Shame.

Also, how can I make reflections?

26. smiljan66

smiljan66

Yes please make video tutorials form basic to advanced most important thing to make realistic leather , cloth ,skin , metals , wood , and reflective surfaces that will be a hit very awesome , and most important make a skin shader with this remember?
    looking foward for the tutorials.

27. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

People are making some pretty silly demands. What's the point of him even making a SIMPLE to use editor if folk are just going to expect him to do the work in it for them? Kinda defeats the purpose of it.

28. chkkll

chkkll

hey great stuff..

is there a way to build up a outline shader with this?

29. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

One really bad bug I noticed is that sometimes it will close my graph for no reason without saving. No idea why it happens or how to reproduce it but it happened 3 times now to me.

30. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Also, most of the materials mentioned don't really need *special* shaders.

For the leather, cloth, metal, wood, with good textures and a simple diffuse/specular/normal shader you are 80% there, Then you might want to add some pseudo fresnel for wood, some rim for leather etc.

31. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

It's an issue with Unity's UI I think. Happens with Playmaker too and happened a few times with ShaderFusion. Happens more if the window is docked with the rest of them.

32. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

For the love of god don't use rim lights if there is no light source behind. It makes it look like your object is made out of silk

33. chkkll

chkkll

i can't really figure out how to make an outline shader with shader editor cause im a noob lol...
    can anyone point me to the right direction?

34. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

Paragraphs, USE THEM.
    Also the first letter in a sentence is always capital.

It's really hard to read or take it seriously when you can't even follow the basics

Also what is the "custom" input for?

Last edited: Mar 16, 2011
  35. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

Congratz on the new release, this gets better and better!

Which uses the effect generally used for skin - SSS (sub-surface scattering). Nice hint ;)

I think we need more ready-made sets of shaders, some of the ones available at unitywiki would be a nice place to start. Then dissecating the logic behind a couple of those in video tutorials would be the icing on the cake.

36. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

You can pass arbitrary float4's through to the lighting graph, that won't get touched by unity at all.

37. bigSky

bigSky

Good God! Congratulations - this is significant. Kudos.

38. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

So you are against starting with good texturing and a simple shader so you have a good basis and then improving the shader? Because that is what I suggested.

And for the rim light comments above, I wasn't suggesting people add a white *OMG WHERE IS THAT COMING FROM* rim light effect to their materials, but a slight (subtle, you-wouldn't-know-it-is-there-if-you-weren't-told kind of effect) rim that lightens the texture a bit can do wonders to simulate a pseudo fresnel effect that most materials actually have.

39. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Shhhhh, we don't tell them tricks like that or everyone will be doing it and it'll end up overused like the purple pink and green lighting in Unreal3 or the good old 'Arnold' GI renders, or lens flares, or bloom or over the top DOF or faint reflection maps or spec maps or or or *continues to mumble indistinctly into his porridge*

40. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

eh? isn't already marked by default? didn't need to marking the main camera in the previous version, well idk or maybe UT 3.x change something that i missed?

Edit : I try to mark the main camera to generate depth texture, but depthbiasedalpha still didn't work. Now iam completely lost

41. MaDDoX

MaDDoX

42. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Agreed, that is awesome quality. Anyone else while messing with it expect it to suddenly open its eyes and scream at the camera? That would have been so funny.

43. smiljan66

smiljan66

Looking foward for the video tutorials.

44. Spinland

Spinland

On the DLL conflict issue: The conflict appears only to be with System.Data.dll.

45. Spinland

Spinland

Okay, I tried using a sample texture for a basic shader, and am seeing weird behavior. I brought in a generic sphere and then applied this shader to it:

Instead of showing the all-white texture I get the default color of black. I've tried multiple textures and changed around the default color, each time all I get is the default color.

Also, if I save the graph and re-load it, the texture definition is gone; the little box shows none. I also tried loading a sample graph that came with the editor that's supposed to have textures defined in it, and those also come up empty.

I opened the source code of the shader after saving and exporting and did a global search for the name of the texture, and came up empty.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

46. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Spinland, have you created a completely new, empty project and imported it into that? Just to make sure nothing else at all is causing issues with it. Also post your system specs if you haven't already, I'm sure they'll help him work out what might be going on.

47. 2dfxman1

2dfxman1

@Spinland I don't know about you, but on my end if I plug in a texture in the editor view, it will only show in preview sphere, not on the model in 3d scene.

48. Spinland

Spinland

It's a 27" iMac, quad core, 8GB of RAM, 1TB disk drive, running 10.6.6. Unity updated to the latest version a couple of days ago.

I'm using the free edition so no preview, but all the other shader stuff I was doing today shows up just fine in the Unity interface, the instant I overwrite the old shader file with the new. The texture should show in the game view, too, right? Also doesn't explain why the texture definitions aren't getting saved and so disappear the next time the graph file is loaded, nor why I define a texture but it's never mentioned in the resulting shader source code.

I haven't tried a totally new project yet, but the one I've been using today was as close to a bare bones restart as to make little difference. Still, I'll start another fresh one and try again.

Thanks again!

49. Frank Oz

Frank Oz

Also make sure you import it correctly, sometimes certain things just plain wont work right if they're dragged and dropped from another project directory into a new one (editor related extensions really).

50. Spinland

Spinland

Okay, started with a new Project. Imported just the Strumpy package and one texture, so those are the only things in Assets. Nothing at all in the scene window yet.

I start up the Editor, and define a single texture 2D Input, like this:

Then I save the graph using the Save As function, close the Editor, re-open the Editor, and re-load the graph I just saved. The texture definition is gone, as shown here:

Is that normal behavior?

Thanks!