Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Struggling with Shadergraph UV distortion shader

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by dgoyette, Feb 22, 2019.

1. dgoyette

dgoyette

I'm trying to create a really simple UV distortion effect via a random noise texture. My hope is that in sampling the shader, any values < 0.5 send the pixel a proportional (from 0.5) amount to the left, and any values > 0.5 send the pixel a proportionate amount to the right. Or, in other words, (pixelColor - 0.5) would be the offset for each pixel. Let's call that 0.5 value the "Target".

What I'm finding in practice is that a Target 0.5 doesn't work well in most cases, and ends up causing most of the pixels to slide off a uniform distance in one direction. For example, here's an undistorted image:

upload_2019-2-22_12-29-14.png

And here's the distortion amount increased, with a Target of 0.5:

upload_2019-2-22_12-34-58.png

Note that most of the pixels went down and to the right, while getting distorted along the way. If, however, I change my Target from 0.5 to 0.125, it looks much better:

upload_2019-2-22_12-36-9.png

However, if I pick a different noise texture, then a Target of 0.125 no longer works, and I have to manually trial and error again to find a good value for Target. Maybe it's due to the average/min/max colors of the image?

Is there a completely different approach I'm missing for offsetting UV via noise?

Here's the very simple thing I'm doing to get the UV texture. (Note, I plan to separate out the U and V channels once I understand my my Target value seems off.)

upload_2019-2-22_12-27-23.png

2. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

why the distortion value are connected to Offset input? Normally it should e connected to UV input.
    So basically it's DistortionUV = UV+DistortionValue

3. Remy_Unity

Remy_Unity

Unity Technologies

The first thing I think of is : is your distortion texture in linear color space ? That could easily explain that using 0.5 as target doesn't do 0 distortion for a mid grey value.

4. dgoyette

dgoyette

I think the issue is probably just that my distortion texture wasn't very balanced. The brightest pixel was not pure white. If I brighten the image, or increase the contrast, I get a more stable distortion when subtracting 0.5.

So, giving this more though, I think I just need to know the color range of my distortion texture. So I'm probably all set. Thanks for the suggestions.

Attached Files: