Search Unity

Struggling with AspectRatioFitter

Discussion in 'UGUI & TextMesh Pro' started by piginhat, May 25, 2017.

1. piginhat

piginhat

I cannot for the life of me get this component to work and hope someone can help.

Scenario:
    Load a photo from gallery on iOS and Android and have the aspect ration maintained in either orientation.
    Snap a photo from device camera on iOS and Android and have the aspect ration maintained in either orientation.
    This should work regardless of device screen resolution

Problem:
    whatever options I set for mode and ratio I get the image either stretched in both orientations or works in one and not the other.

I am supposed to update the aspect ratio at run time to adjust for the specific device it is running on?

Been searching for a tutorial with no joy yet...

2. piginhat

piginhat

I have found that if I set the AspectRatioFitter to Aspect Mode "Fit In Parent" and update the Aspect Ration in the Update function like so:

Code (csharp):
    2. aspectRatioFitter.aspectRatio = Camera.main.aspect;
    This produces a correct photo orientation and aspect ratio on an iPad but not so on an iPhone 6+

So this is my confusion with this component, why OK on one device but not on another?

CrandellWS likes this.
  3. MoxorTheOne

MoxorTheOne

Late answer, but it could help someone else.

Code (CSharp):
    1. private void CorrectAspectRatio(Image image)
    2.         {
    3.             var ratio = image.sprite.rect.width / image.sprite.rect.height;
    4.             image.GetComponent<AspectRatioFitter>().aspectRatio = ratio;
    5.         }

CrandellWS likes this.
  4. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hi I want to use the AspectRatioFitter but on a non UI non-canvas element.

Is there a way to do that? Or is there one for non UI?

Zywa likes this.
  5. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

that code did not work for me, instead i had to access the `gameObject` attached to the image then get the component from that GameObect, just a minor fix

Code (CSharp):
    1.        private void CorrectAspectRatio(Image image)
    2.         {
    3.             var ratio = image.sprite.rect.width / image.sprite.rect.height;
    4.             image.gameObject.GetComponent<AspectRatioFitter>().aspectRatio = ratio;
    5.         }

6. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

By chance The Camera aspect ratio matches one device and not the other... the code provided by @MoxorTheOne should be usable, which I updated with a minor fix in my previous post.

I found putting the image as a child to a gameobject, and setting that gameobject to what ever the "MAX" size will be and then setting the `Aspect Ratio Fitter`.`Aspect Mode` to `fit in parent` in the child image gameobject (and upscaling image when need) works well for me

but I set the actual aspect ratio using the image's original width and height

Last edited: Apr 19, 2021