Search Unity

Stripping Levels Explanation?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by schplurg, Feb 17, 2010.

1. schplurg

schplurg

I have a question regarding the stripping levels (not that kind of stripping!).

Can anybody explain the differences between "stripping levels"? I've seen people here saying they've had problems with this one or that one. It seems one may be more aggressive than the other. But I really don't know what is removed and why to choose one over the other, or niether.

Is there any info on that anywhere? I'd like to try it.

2. schplurg

schplurg

Nobody? Anybody?

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no documentation on that other than the intuitive and clear thing straight from their naming

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Choose the maximum level, but if that breaks stuff, then scale it back until it stops breaking. That's all I know, but so far I just use the max and it works fine.

--Eric

5. schplurg

schplurg

Uh...ya...what?

-------
    strip assemblies
    strip by byte code
    use micro mscorlib
    -------

Ya that's really clear. If it was I wouldn't have asked. The only thing less clear is your response...????

Thanks, Eric, for actually helping me out a bit.

6. Girl + Robot

Girl + Robot

I too would love a in depth explanation of what each option was doing, and a scale to go along with it. Any techs from Unity3D care to chime in?

7. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sarcasm rarely explains something though :)

so assuming your tech background goes towards 0 if the basic idea of the stripping levels isn't intuitive / clear:

micro corelib: totally reduced .NET core library. all "none gaming stuff removed" basically

byte code stripping: the built .net assemblies that would end in the game are used to decide which aspects on the framework / engine aren't needed and then these framework aspects are cut

strip assemblies: same just for your generated code. no idea if anyone ever used that, I know I didn't so I can't give more insight on that

zsxsoftware likes this.
  8. schplurg

schplurg

Thanks. Was wondering if I'd misunderstood. Still not sure :) I kind of get it now.

So I guess I'll just try them all and see what happens LOL

9. Dreamora

Dreamora

thats normally the best thing to do. if you use some more special stuff like reflection etc you otherwise run into "unwanted trouble" if you assume something.
    same goes for "outside the core box" classes from the .net framework

whats often forgotten too is not to use .net 2.0 functionality as you can do on unity desktop which will not work on the iphone independent of stripping

10. AdityaViaxor

AdityaViaxor

Actually i guess unity should give some brief explanation on all topics but they haven't given complete information regarding all the components. the stripping level was kind of creating me trouble i was unable to implement "rate us" and " more games " in my game though my code was absolutely correct i just disabled stripping level and it worked i have been banging my head on wall because i didnt understand the reason for not working the code.

11. DaniyarGilymov

DaniyarGilymov

still nothing?

12. diliupg

diliupg

2020 August.......

ByMedion likes this.
  13. lrutjens

lrutjens

2022 april

14. Neto_Kokku

Neto_Kokku