Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Ever participated in one our Game Jams? Want pointers on your project? Our Evangelists will be available on Friday to give feedback. Come share your games with us!
    Dismiss Notice

Strip or unload built-in textures for headless server build

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by keedav, Aug 15, 2019.

1. keedav

keedav

Hello everyone,

I'm currently experimenting with Unity as a dedicated game server. For each room I'm planning to spawn a new process, and I need to reduce memory footprint as much as possible.
    However I can't seem to unload some built in textures, namely:
    UnityNHxRoughness (32.3 KB)
    UnityHalo (4.3 KB)
    UnityAttenuation (2.3 KB)
    UnityGrayscaleRamp (2.3 KB)
    etc...

Jegyzet 2019-08-15 152838.jpg

As you can see in the attached memory snapshot, almost 1/3 of the total memory are used up by built-in textures. My question, how to I reduce the memory footprint even more? How to strip these textures? What modules are using it?

I'm using Unity 2019.2.0f1, IL2CPP on Windows, disabled almost all built-in packages.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
    Opeth001 likes this.
  2. keedav

keedav

Well almost one week of trying out different methods I'm still stuck. However I have found out some useful things for others who may stumble into this problem.

After examining the build asset files, I found out that these textures are not packaged there during the build.

The only reference for the UnityNHxRoughness texture this is in
    UnityStandardBRDF.cginc
    shader include file
    Code (CSharp):
    1. half LUT_RANGE = 16.0; // must match range in NHxRoughness() function in GeneratedTextures.cpp
    That means these textures are in fact generated when the player starts.

I have tried to forcefully destroy or unload the textures from memory with this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var objs = Resources.FindObjectsOfTypeAll<Texture2D>();
    2.         foreach (var obj in objs)
    3.             Object.Destroy(obj);
    But it does not work. For all built-in textures I'm getting this message
    Destroying object "UnityNHxRoughness" is not allowed at this time.

So the most minimal memory I have managed to achieve is around 15MB with every Unity modules disabled. It would be great if someone from Unity would have a look at this, but in the mean time I think I submit a bug report.

3. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

You could ask the developer of the Headless Builder asset on the Asset Store if his/her asset includes stripping these textures. Often asset developers are more than happy to discuss how they have solved certain issues, even if you have no intention of making a purchase.

keedav likes this.
  4. bluescrn

bluescrn

I really wouldn't worry about a little 32KB texture, given how large a minimal Unity project can be. That really sounds like premature/misdirected optimization?

Do you really need a process per 'room'? (and what is a room? - a group of players in a lobby/game, or a physical room in an MMO-ish game?). Can you run N of them on a single server instance?

Joe-Censored likes this.
  5. keedav

keedav

The goal of this experiment is to see how feasible is to spawn one Unity instance for every room. What I meant with "room" is a short game session with 4 players. For example as in Diablo.

Probably the solution for such a problem is what you have just described. But I had to measure what is the absolute minimum memory consumption for a headless server.

TZ- likes this.
unityunity