Search Unity

String to float conversion of XML attribute

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by BCuracao, Jan 15, 2019.

1. BCuracao

BCuracao

I am trying to convert a string value to a float value as follows:

I pass a XML attribute as string to a converter class to get the associated value of the attribute as float

Here I pass the "lat" attribute
    Code (CSharp):
    1. float lat = GetFloatAttributes("lat", node.Attributes);
    I use this class to get the value of the attribute back as float.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public class AttributeFactory
    2. {
    3.     // Retrieves the value of a specific attribute
    4.     protected static float GetFloatAttributes(string value, XmlAttributeCollection attributeCollection)
    5.     {
    6.         // At this point the string has a value of "40.7801304"
    7.         string attribute = attributeCollection[value].Value;
    8.         // When the it returns the float value the value becomes something like "4.078013E+08"
    9.         return float.Parse(attribute);
    10.     }
    11. }
    The string attribute has a value of "40.7801304" when called in the GetAttributes function.
    But when the functions returns the value as float, the float lat has a value of "4.078013E+08"

Snapshot of the xml node im trying to read like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1.  <node id="42455666" visible="true" lat="40.7666184" lon="-73.9669476">
    2.   <tag k="highway" v="traffic_signals"/>
    3. </node>
    How can I fix that?
    The odd thing is that i copied this piece of code from an older Unity project (2017) in which it worked exactly that way.

2. tonemcbride

tonemcbride

Instead of float.Parse you could just use Convert.ToSingle (part of the System library) - I've no idea why float.Parse would have stopped working though.

Perhaps what's happening is that the parser isn't recognising the decimal point, it could be a unicode decimal point or some other issue. You could also try this:

(float)double.Parse(myStr,System.Globalization.NumberStyles.AllowDecimalPoint);

3. Antypodish

Antypodish

Two thoughs.
    Try use
    float.tryparse
    the dot decimal point separator my not be liked. try use coma.
    There may be something related to 'culture', which referees, weather 1.356, is 1 thousands 3 hundreds, or 1 point 3.

4. jvo3dc

jvo3dc

A few throughts:
    • You can let the XML parser convert the string to a float directly by making the variable to serialize to a float.
    • To remove the culture, float number = float.Parse("0.54", CultureInfo.InvariantCulture);
    • Some rounding is to be expected because of the limited precision of a single precision float.

5. BCuracao

BCuracao

Thanks you everyone for your help! I will try out your solutions as soon as im back home