Search Unity

Assets Strider Pro - More believable animation speed warping (Coming Soon)

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by CptKen, Jan 17, 2020.

1. CptKen

CptKen

Download the standalone demo Here
    Read the FAQ
    Check out the Documentation

Hi,

I'd like to introduce 'Strider', a simple asset that I plan to release soon on the asset store. 'Strider' makes your character's locomotion look more believable at different speeds by altering your character's stride instead of animation play rate.

Trailer

Humans don't change pace by simply moving faster or slower with the same form. Instead we also increase or decrease our stride. Strider 'mimics' Human kinematics in this way by blending a little playback speed manipulation with a lot of stride warping. Download the standalone binary demo at the top of the page to test it out yourself.

StrideWarperGif.gif
    These characters are running at 2.3x speed. Which one is more believable?​

Strider can also make characters of varying size move at the exact same rate with the same animations, without foot sliding and even being able to keep in formation. Usually larger characters would have to move in slow motion and smaller characters would have to move lightning fast. Not anymore... with Strider, larger characters just take smaller steps, while smaller characters take bigger steps.

StrideWarpScaleGif.gif
    Characters ranging from 0.4x - 2.5x scale... same speed, in formation and in sync.

Strider is an excellent tool for third person characters. In fact, the most populated game in the world (Fortnite) uses this same technique for every single character*. Rest assured, it's a tried and tested method. The standalone demo provided has this scene to showcase such a use.

StrideWarperTPSDemo.gif

Strider is simple to use, requiring one component on your character. It's also flexible, allowing advanced users more control of the stride warping, both in the inspector and through a simple scripting interface. It is also highly performant, having minimal CPU impact. It uses some of the DOTS tech stack, including jobs and burst, with ECS planned for when ECS animation is more mature and stable.

Demo Scenes Tour

Strider has been submitted to the Unity Asset store as of 06/02/2020 and will hopefully be available in a few weeks. Feel free to join the Discord channel for direct support.

*I am not affiliated with Epic Games or Fornite in any way. 'Strider' is not the exact software used in Fortnite, however, it is a very similar 'algorithm / technique' implemented in Unity.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2020
    plexusgames and mons00n like this.
  2. CptKen

CptKen

Happy to announce that today I've submitted this asset for approval. Should be out in a week or two.

Here's a few videos explaining more about this system:

gamefish and plexusgames like this.