Search Unity

Streaming Music Hitch - iOS - Unity 4.5.5

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by davekalina, Jan 29, 2015.

1. davekalina

davekalina

(Perhaps I posted this in the wrong forum previously)

Whenever we start playing a new 'stream from disc' audio clip, our game "hitches" for about half a second right as playback of the new track begins.

All of our AudioClips are set as follows:

- Load type: Stream from disc
    - Hardware decoding: yes
    - 3D sound: no

Our music player class references a bunch of GameObjects which contain AudioSources that point at all of our individual songs. The Music Player calls Stop() on the previous song and waits a second and then calls Start() on the new song, and it's in that frame -- where we call Start() on the new song -- that the game hitches.

While it's not exactly a fatal error, our game is fast-paced and performance hitches like this are very noticeable. Would obviously like to know what we're doing wrong!

2. davekalina

davekalina

Pinging this 6 weeks later.

Would really appreciate some feedback / suggestions.

3. aihodge

aihodge

Just a guess, but have you tried loading/playing from within a coroutine? It sounds to me like Unity is trying to load the stream and play it in one frame but isn't fast enough. Maybe a coroutine could be able to do this work across several frames?

4. davekalina

davekalina

Thanks for the reply, aihodge! You're the first person to even attempt to answer this question in over 2 months of me pinging the forums :)

Putting the music playback code in a coroutine did not help, though I appreciate the idea. Not sure how it would since coroutines don't spawn separate threads. I'm wondering if I can somehow offload music playback to another thread ...?

I finally attached the Unity profiler to my iPhone 6 and the spike is over 300msec and can be isolated to the call to AudioSource.Play().