Search Unity

Stream Youtube 360 videos in Unity app

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by duncangroberts, Aug 1, 2017.

1. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

Hi there,

I've seen a couple of threads on this topic elsewhere but with no answer so I thought I'd try my own post here to see if I can find out anything new.

I was wondering if there is a way to stream youtube 360 videos, or even the new youtube VR180 format via a unity app on google daydream (and eventually for other platforms). I have a plan for a new app that will take users on virtual guided tours with a twist and think that to store these 360 videos locally would make the apk and even obb files way too big. My gut instinct is the ability to stream a youtube 360 video would solve this problem so if there is a way to do that then that would be great but if there are any other options I'd love to find out.

Thanks so much,

Duncan

2. samKeene

samKeene

Hey Duncan,
    I work at YouTube in the VR team. There's no way to do what you're describing because there isn't an embeddable VR player like there is on the web. Currently, YouTube 360 and VR 180 videos can only be viewed in the YT Daydream VR app or on the web.

3. mgear

mgear

Just curious that is it ok to parse youtube360-video mp4 url, and play that in mobile apps? (using video player plugins or the new unity video player)

yosun likes this.
  4. duncangroberts

duncangroberts

Hi @samKeene thanks so much for getting back to me. That's a shame but understandable as it's early days. It would be great if eventually this could happen as storing 360 videos locally isn't really an option for me. I ultimately want to provide a user interface for streaming specific Youtube 360 or VR180 videos for promotional material for a friend of mine who is well known comedian in the UK. I think to start off with we will film some Youtube VR videos so they can be accessed from the Youtube VR app and hopefully if this feature is ever available work on it from there.

I think Youtube VR is a fantastic app and experience so congrats on the great work!

Thanks again,

Duncan

5. HeyBishop

HeyBishop

I too wish this was an option!

6. reddo

reddo

7. nsmith1024

nsmith1024

Hello,

Is there any update on this? is there any plug in that can play LIVE streaming 360 or VR180 videos inside unity? Without this HLS player i see mentioned?

Thanks