Search Unity

Strange XR rendering behaviour on build.

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by BamBamAlicious, Mar 25, 2018.

1. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

Hey all, this one has me really stumped.

The problem started here when I noticed REALLY high amounts of CPU time going to rendering when I build my game. The game easily sits at 500 - 1000 fps on my Surface Pro but struggles with 40 on android.

https://answers.unity.com/questions...build.html?childToView=1481611#answer-1481611

To try and narrow down the issue, I've created a basic scene, (a plane, few sprites, couple of cylinders and a couple of cubes). I've noticed that randomly, (normally 2 - 3 minutes), the rendering shoots up in the profiler, and frame debugger shows everything drawing twice per frame.

doubleRender.png

The arrowed point in the profiler is the exact moment it happens. I've got both batchings running, gpu skinning, single pass rendering, OpenGL3 forced. Every trick and optimisation I can think of I've done, everything is using a mobile shader and single coloured. No pixel perfect canvases, no rich text. Still the problem doesn't go away! I've also tried downgrading to 2017.1.1f1 and the situation hasn't improved! Im using GVR SDK 1.130.1.

Any help is appreciated!!!

2. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Can you provide the small repro project? We'll try to look and see if there is something we can help with.

BamBamAlicious likes this.
  3. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

4. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

And that's the narrowed down sample you were mentioning?

5. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Dropbox is balking at downloading that project. Can you zip up just the Assets and ProjectSettings folders for the narrowed down repro?

6. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

7. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

The RAR file ia apparently corrupted. Can you use ZIP instead of RAR and upload again?

8. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

9. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

Yep, works. Thanks.

10. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

No worries! Hoping its just a rookie mistake I've made!

11. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

This feels like thermal throttling to me (specifically because you say it only happens after 2-3 minute). Have you tried using https://developers.google.com/vr/develop/unity/perfhud to check?

What device are you running on? Are you running in 'daydream' or 'cardboard' mode?

12. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

I'm using the perfhud as well as development built, and it shows throttling from the very beginning, even though the phone is cold. I did think this at first as well, its only recently that I've noticed the duplicate rendering in frame debugger.
    I'm running on a Oneplus 3, rooted to enable running in Daydream mode, can't afford to get a new phone yet!

13. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

ok we'll see if we can repro on a pixel.

14. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

Brilliant thank you! If it's the same as what I'm seeing here it's a noticeable shift from 6ms on rendering to 10-11ms

15. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

We've been unable to repro this on our test devices (Samsung S8, Pixel, Pixel 2). This may be an issue specific to this device and the drivers (Android drivers for GFx chipsets are notoriously finicky and bug prone).

16. BamBamAlicious

BamBamAlicious

Thanks for looking for me! The struggle continues!

17. joejo

joejo

Unity Technologies

18. evolvingtech

evolvingtech