Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange white (sometimes pink) bloom/glow at seams after generate lighting

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by jdeangoldstein, Aug 16, 2019.

1. jdeangoldstein

jdeangoldstein

Hi all,

Ever since updating to Unity 2019 and Post Processing 2.0, I've noticed that randomly, I'll get bright blooms of light appearing at the seams of some geometry.

Here's a pic of this happening on a column in this model:

As I move the camera around, this bloom will flicker and move around the length of the seam, sometimes joined by other blooms along the same seam. It's as if there's a very bright light behind the geometry that's escaping at the seam.

The crazy thing is, every time I bake the lighting, these things move around. I'll find them in different corners/crevices with each bake, so I don't think the geometry is the problem here - all the geometry is manifold and watertight anyway.

I've also seen something similar where I get a pink glow instead or in addition to the white. With my latest bake, I don't have this currently (so no screenshot), but it seems to be related to the same issue.

If I turn off the Post-Processing Bloom, I can see very bright white pixels at the seams. If I move the camera into the geometry, it's very bright back there, but why? There should be no light behind the geometry.

Here are my lighting settings. I've played around with different Lightmap Resolution and Padding settings - I see this issue on every setting I've tried so far, it just moves around. I will say I saw a lot more of these weird blooms when I had 5 res and 3 padding. Is there some relationship where the resolution should be a multiple of the padding?

Any help or ideas would be appreciated! I'll update with a screenshot when I see the case where the bloom is pink, if that would help.

2. KEngelstoft

KEngelstoft

Unity Technologies

Hi, please post a screenshot of the following scene view modes: texel validity, directionality and baked lightmap. It could be NaNs that make the post filtering stack go crazy. Does the `suppress NaNs` option help?

3. jdeangoldstein

jdeangoldstein

Hi @KEngelstoft,

Here's texel validity:

Also when I pick Directionality and Baked Lightmap, the scene doesn't change and looks identical to the texel validity view. Am I missing something?

Also, where can I find the "Suppress NaNs" option?

Thanks for your help.

4. jdeangoldstein

jdeangoldstein

Nevermind, I found the "Stop NaN Propagation" setting, and it is already enabled. Anything else I can try?

5. kristijonas_unity

kristijonas_unity

Unity Technologies

Please switch to scene debug modes right after baking the lighting, as @KEngelstoft suggested.