Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Strange sound error on import?

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ElMagnifico, Aug 12, 2020.

1. ElMagnifico

ElMagnifico

First time running into this, when I imported a .ogg sound to Unity 2020. Strnage thing is, I imported tons of other .ogg sound into my other project, all made the same way.
    Google returns nothing of use.

Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.SetOverrideSampleSettings (WSA), please use one of 'Web', 'Standalone', 'iOS', 'Android', 'WebGL', 'PS4', 'XboxOne' or 'WSA'
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility:processEvent (int,intptr,bool&)

2. harini

harini

Unity Technologies

I am trying to reproduce this on my Mac with Unity 2020.1 and not able to. Can you provide me with a bit more info?

3. ElMagnifico

ElMagnifico

nothing much.
    Unity 202. New project, just imported a .ogg sound and it popped out.

The error seems to come and go for some strange reason.

4. univepro

univepro

Hi there, I'm getting the same error. I'm using 2019.4.9f1. I just upgraded my project that I've been working on since February of this year. I've changed version several times and the error just appear today. I've done two things with music specifically:
    1) Imported a music track from MyAssets within the Unity Editor.
    2) Drag and dropped two music tracks from my computer directly into my project folder via the Unity Editor.

When the files first import no error appears, but when I click on the file to see its properties I get the error. Any subsequent interaction in the inspector window continues to output the error: one or two errors of the exact same time type for every interaction with the file or properties.

Again, I just had this project in 2019.4.8 and I never got this error. I'm on Windows 10, one of the tracks I'm importing is .wav and the other two are .mp3, all tracks have the default Unity settings applied in the inspector.

5. chrislagaly

chrislagaly

I'm sorry that I'm absolutely no help, but I'm having the exact same issue when I did almost the exact same thing.

6. AdminOh

AdminOh

Same here but for VideoClips. This message appears after upgrading to Unity 2019.4.9f1 from 2019.3.2f1, as described by univepro. The build target is set to UWP.

7. ARAMMDE

ARAMMDE

I got the same problem when updating my project from 2019.1 to 2019.4LTS.
    My solution was to uninstall 2019.4LTS and reinstall 2019.4LTS but to deselect support module for "Universal Windows Platform Build Support" (which I newer used before).
    This module is preselected by default when installing with the Unity Hub. Also this reinstall solved some warnings related to ogg. audio files like "FSBTool WARNING: This source file was truncated." which I also have had never before.

arminelec likes this.
  8. arminelec

arminelec

Same issue here. I also reinstalled 2019.4.9f1 without Universal Windows Platform Build Support and I no longer get the error when selecting an audio file in Unity project explorer window.

I do build Universal Windows Platform builds, which means this is not really a fix for me. But wanted to post and mention that the previous comment did make things work on my machine too (PC, not a mac).

Just extra info for the Unity team: The documentation on 2019.4 about AudioImporter.GetOverrideSampleSettings does not mention WSA as a valid parameter. However the error message does.

Documentation:
    Error message:
    Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.GetOverrideSampleSettings (WSA), please use one of 'Web', 'Standalone', 'iOS', 'Android', 'WebGL', 'PS4', 'XboxOne' or 'WSA'
    UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor:InternalSetTargets(Object[])

NotaNaN likes this.
  9. Snigros

Snigros

I have also been getting this error (with recent 2019.4.x versions - including latest at the time of writing 2019.4.10f1). Also using UWP. Seems to be generated sometimes (but not always) after playing back an audio clip via the editor/inspector - but only after the clip has finished playing. Weird as the audio clips themselves (mainly .wav format) have been unchanged since added to the project over the last year or so - and everything seems to function OK otherwise.

10. Thrazamund

Thrazamund

Having the exact same issue. Went from 2019.4.3 to 2019.4.10. Whenever I try to add sound clips to my project they won't play and I see this error when clicking on them. All sound files that were in my project before upgrading seem to still work.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  11. arminelec

arminelec

After a bit more investigation today, I found the issue the OP, myself and several other experience could be related to the DSP Buffer Size. I need to verify this with others who experience this issue (as they posted here in this thread).

To reiterate, total of two issues were mentioned above:
    • Error message being displayed when an audio asset is selected in the Unity Inspector.
    • Distorted audio is played back when an audio asset is selected in the Unity Inspector.

Here are steps to verify whether it is related to DSP Buffer Size or not:
    • Go to your Edit -> Project Settings
    • Select Audio from the list
    • Select the different DSP Buffer Size values and each time click on the audio asset file (an play a preview).
    If you experience the same issue when you select one of the DSP Buffer Size values, but not experience the issue when you select another, then we are one step closer to help the Unity team finding out what it could be related.

Otherwise, I am out of ideas.

solkyoshiro and peglan like this.
  12. Matias2D

Matias2D

Hy! did you solve this problem? I'm having the same problem here....:(

13. Robert_Hildebrand

Robert_Hildebrand

Running into the same problem with 2019.4.10f1 and was not able to build for android. Changed the DSP Buffer Size to "Best Performance" and everything is working now.

Thank you arminelec

arminelec likes this.
  14. djweaver

djweaver

Same here. 2019.4.11

15. APendred

APendred

I've just got the same issue here, thankfully I'm only learning and haven't done anything substantial so no major frustration. But just for the record changing the DSP Buffer Size made no difference, with the error appearing after selecting every option. Additionally for me anyhow, audio works fine when a build is made and launched from the computer but not audible within unity when creating or playing you game.

Error mentioned also appears regardless of the audio format or project including a new blank project.

this is on both 2020.1.6 and 2020.1.7

16. melockley02

melockley02

Has anyone figured this out yet?
    I keep getting the same error with all audio files. And can not get them to work in programs.
    I have tested in 2020.17f1 and 2020.1.6f1. Same symptoms in both.
    Started projects from scratch, even used audio files from Unit training course.
    Tested in 2018.4.27f1, and it worked fine.
    I updated all the divers (including audio drivers) on my computer, still having issues.
    Did not uninstall and re-install. I would like to have UWB, although I may try that next since I am mainly using WindowsGL at this time.
    I have tired various sound formats, with the same results

Last edited: Oct 5, 2020
    Cearaj likes this.
  17. Carrmichaelll

Carrmichaelll

Getting this same issue ffs

18. AdminOh

AdminOh

Has anyone filled an issue in the Unity tracker?

@harini were you able to reproduce this issue?

NotaNaN likes this.
  19. shenithsandeepa

shenithsandeepa

I also faced to this issue when I trying to drag and drop the file to script directly.

Then I added Audio Source component to the game object. Then drag and dropped the audio file to that Audio Source component. Then I used that component in my script.

Then my problem solved.

20. B3Designs

B3Designs

version 2020.1.8f1 - Same issue. I get the errors:

"Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.GetOverrideSampleSettings (WSA), please use one of 'Web', 'Standalone', 'iOS', 'Android', 'WebGL', 'PS4', 'XboxOne' or 'WSA'
    UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor:InternalSetTargets(Object[])"

and

"Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.ContainsSampleSettingsOverride (WSA), please use one of 'Web', 'Standalone', 'iOS', 'Android', 'WebGL', 'PS4', 'XboxOne' or 'WSA'
    UnityEditor.Experimental.AssetImporters.AssetImporterEditor:InternalSetTargets(Object[])"

when previewing the audio in the editor, and no sound or error in play mode.

peturko likes this.
  21. derkoi

derkoi

Same issue here, just started happening. :mad:

22. Pontsci

Pontsci

Same issue is happening to me. It was working fine earlier in the day, but the error started showing up after I converted my project to a WebGL build. Tried uninstalling unity and reinstalling. In addition to that I re-imported my audio files after a fresh install, and the error still persists.

23. HeizenblogGaming

HeizenblogGaming

I've had the same problem but deleted my MP3 music files and just had WAV files and it seemed to work so far.

24. Tommy-Renecade

Tommy-Renecade

Here is the solution to this issue that worked for me. I am using Unity 2020.1.6f1.

In Unity, go to your audio files and select the target build you are building to like Android for example. Click on which level of decompressing you are using and hit apply. Once you do this, then when you build out your game the error message will not pop up.

If you are using a Sprite Atlas, then the same steps must be applied also. Below, are some screenshots to show what I am talking about.

For some reason, run & build will still give you the error message, but if you do a regular build it will not.

I hope this helps! :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  25. VisualDima

VisualDima

Same here. 2020.1.10f Windows 10.
    Solution from YoderVFXProductions doesn't work fro me.

26. ProgrammerTurtle

ProgrammerTurtle

Same issue here. 2019.4.13f1

none of the solutions above worked for me. With this many people experiencing the same issue this should be flagged as a bug.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
  27. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I can confirm this happens on 2020.2.0b8 too. :(

For me, it happened when I dragged the file from the File Explorer into Unity. (It also happens when moving the file directly into the Project's files using the File Explorer manually).
    All audio-based packages seem completely unaffected, though. So we have that.

28. outramjamie_unity

outramjamie_unity

Does this occur on all Windows 10 versions?

I'm not entirely sure if this is related but I noticed someone mentioned FSBTool warnings, considering it only seems to happen on windows 10 for some users and I can't reproduce it myself anymore. The FSBTool on any Window 10 'N' editions requires a media feature pack download to function properly. Download URL: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/mediafeaturepack

If you're not on a Windows 10 N edition this wont help

(The error I was fixing when I found this was an FSB initialization error after a project update with WebGL Build target on Windows 10 Education N. It also sometimes threw similar warnings/errors complaining about WSA, I haven't had any audio importing errors since downloading the feature pack)

29. Alean909

Alean909

i am having the same issue and can't seems to know why

30. darkxelblack

darkxelblack

Hi,
    I have the same Issue with Unity 2020.1.10f1 and 11f1.
    I tried the solutions above, nothing worked for me.

In my Unity Hub I saw that I have Universal Windows Platform Build Support installed.
    So I tried to install the UWP SDK from Windows but this also not helped to solve the problem.

After all this, I uninstalled unity 2020.1.xx and reinstalled it but without UWP, only Windows Build Support. You don' need it for normal Standalone Games.

After that I loaded my Project and voila the Errors are gone.

31. peglan

peglan

Helped me thanks

32. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

@harini, have you made any progress on this?

I, myself, am experiencing the error on 2020.2.0b9 using a Windows OS and I have the Universal Windows Platform Build Support SDK installed in my Unity project. :cool:

It seems like the user's OS and whether or not they have the Universal Windows Platform Build Support SDK installed may have something to do with it, as described in these two posts:
    But others have solved it in different ways... for different versions of Unity and with different OS's. So it isn't really sound, conclusive evidence. :oops:

But have you been looking into this at all?
    The error is still plaguing me and others. :(

33. marck_ozz

marck_ozz

Hi!

Same issue on 2019.4.12 LTS, it started when I changed one audio clip from "Decompress on load" to "streaming". Now the error shows up every time I select any audio clip. HOWEVER all the clips plays and sounds well on play mode so, I suppose that this is a Unity Editor Bug, don't ya think @harini?

I'm developing for UWP so I don't try to remove the this support modul.

Forgot: change DSP Buffer Size to "Best Performance" din't work

Last edited: Nov 4, 2020
    NotaNaN likes this.
  34. Shaelle

Shaelle

Just encountered the same bug. Manipulating with DSP Buffer Size settings does not seems to helped too much: it's looks like when I switching to "Best latency" problem disappear for the next click on audio, but when reappear again.

35. ahilal845

ahilal845

Simple solution, open another scene and come back to original scene and than u will have no problemtrust me on this

mrsnipey_unity likes this.
  36. ForgeHope

ForgeHope

I had the same issue and found it changed to a WebGL platform under build settings by default I guess, I Just changed it to PC, Mac & Linux Standalone under the build settings and all my audio worked. Should note it is not a fix to get it to work for the WebGL platform, but at least when you are building it should be working as normal. It has worked for me.

37. DigitalMaster37

DigitalMaster37

The above mentioned resolutions may work, but the way I resolved it, was to allow the fsbtool access on my antivirus software/firewall. It was blocking that import tool.

I use BitDefender. Once I "unblocked' that, the issue was resolved and I then "reimported" those specific sound files and it worked.

It may be worth a shot

Just to explain a bit further. I ran into the error when I tried to import those sound files again after realizing something was wrong with them and getting the error above in the OP when I tried to click on them or reimport them.

Fortunately for me, my bitdefender (not at first) prompted me stating that it blocked access to this "fsbtool" or something or another. Once I added the exception for it, I was able to resolve the issue by reimporting the sounds files.

I hope this helps someone

NotaNaN likes this.
  38. NotaNaN

NotaNaN

I just updated my project to 2020.2.0b10 and the errors seem to have completely disappeared! I suspect that they will come back and haunted me later, though. :(

EDIT: So far, they haven't! :D

Last edited: Jan 15, 2021
  39. TheRaider

TheRaider

I had this error and downloaded latest version of unity, reimported and it is gone, but I can no longer preview audio files.

40. Shack_Man

Shack_Man

Same here, Unity 2020.2.0b9. Changing the buffer didn't work, nor switching scenes. A bit of a bummer to not have sound in my game...

EDIT: I went back to the latest official release 2020.1.17f1, still getting an error for ogg files ("could not create asset"), but importing .wav files works fine.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
    NotaNaN likes this.
  41. EMJ_Studios

EMJ_Studios

Hi all I have the same issue when importing 2 .wav files into unity 2020.1.11f1, by reading the thread it seems the issue is with "UWB" has anyone found another solution apart from reinstalling without it? I've tried every other solutions offered here but none have worked

42. DevopPzh

DevopPzh

Build Settings > Platform PC, Mac & Linux > Architecture x86_64
    this worked for me to get rid of Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.SetOverrideSampleSettings (WSA), please use one of 'Web', 'Standalone', 'iOS', 'Android', 'WebGL', 'PS4', 'XboxOne' or 'WSA'

43. gerbiltron_unity

gerbiltron_unity

Like Glider Guy, updating to 2020.2.0b10 fixed it for me.

NotaNaN likes this.
  44. shunYing

shunYing

I got the same issue on 2019.4 LTS.
    #19 shenithsandeepa solution work for me.

45. ricky_lee_

ricky_lee_

Ran into the exact same problem, Updating Unity fixed it.
    I tried everything else mentioned above before I tried updating, and nothing worked.

I updated from 2020.1.6f1 to 2020.2.3f1

My errors appeared when placing a couple of .wavs into my project assets:
    ...Unknown platform passed to AudioImporter.ContainsSampleSettingsOverride (WSA)....

Updating took an hour but the problem is completely fixed :) keep going!

46. TheJavierD

TheJavierD

Same problem with Unity 2019.4.24f1

47. creat327

creat327

My trick was to go into the project folder and delete everything on Temp folder. Then go into the Library folder of the project and delete the Temp, Android and il2cpp compilation folders. It seems to fix it. Something gets stuck in there that doesn't allow it to import the audio correctly. I was compiling for Android and getting this error pointing to WSA built.

In fact, lately most of my weird errors on Unity I just fix by removing their temporary compilation folder. They seem to be doing a horrible job at cleaning those up.

univepro likes this.
  48. Comalinx

Comalinx

@arminelec

It worked to change the DSP Buffer Size.

The error and strange echo sound is only there when "Best Latency" is used, which was what I had from a previous release of my app to resolve a clicking issue.

I'm using 2019.4.15f1 for the specific app that had the issue on a Windows 10 workstation, and there was no issue 5 months ago when I released the app. I don't think I updated the 2019 version of Unity after it previously worked, but I did keep up with Window's monthly rollups.

49. KaiserKaur

KaiserKaur

Thank god I am not the only one who has this issue... Finally a good forum

50. Brother_77

Brother_77

Got same issue 2020.3.14

Anyone from Unity, can you please confirm the fix ?