Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Strange Smering Effect When objects move

Discussion in 'High Definition Render Pipeline' started by Shanti_Baba, Feb 25, 2022.

1. Shanti_Baba

Shanti_Baba

i have a very bad smear when objects move in front of others
    leaving a black trail behind them

*Videos attached*

This happens in the editor itself and not just in play mode or through a camera
    i noticed this stops when i toggle off the post processing in the editor,
    and also if i disable "Anti Aliasing" in the HDRP default Frame Settings for Camera (in project settings)
    but without these the scene looks horrible (Especially by disabling AA completely)
    any tips? i need to fix this real bad
    thanks

Unity 2019.4.1
    HDRP 7.3.1
    Forward Rendering
    trying to use MSAA x4 (but will settle fort less as well)
    upload_2022-2-25_15-30-38.png

upload_2022-2-25_15-30-9.png

Attached Files:

2. jjejj87

jjejj87

Welcome to TAA.

3. Shanti_Baba

Shanti_Baba

hey
    is this always the case with temporal AA?
    it is the only AA that actually makes my game look good.

4. chap-unity

chap-unity

Unity Technologies

On your camera, when using the quality preset high, there is a parameter called speed rejection.
    Basically, it will reject more the regions that have moved too much on the previous frame from the TAA computation and you will get less ghosting. (but it will also be more aliased).
    It's not magic, so do not expect wonders but it can help.

upload_2022-2-25_16-49-53.png

5. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

You're using a very old version of HDRP (the current version found in 2021.2 final is 12), the TAA has had numerous improvements since then, particularly for HDRP 10 (2020.3 LTS) iirc, such as the speed rejection mentioned above.

If it's still an issue, you may want to use something like MSAA 2x + FXAA for instance to reduce temporal artifacts. Each technique has its pros and cons.

6. Shanti_Baba

Shanti_Baba

thank you,
    but i don't seem to have this setting on my camera. maybe this is only available on a higher unity version?
    upload_2022-2-25_17-57-12.png
    p.s
    do you know if this ghosting effect will be less strong if i use a supirior GPU? (now using Geforce 1080TI)

7. Shanti_Baba

Shanti_Baba

yes i know, this project has been in the works for a while....
    and i am quite hesitant to upgrade it to 2021 as things often get damaged

8. Qleenie

Qleenie

Is this VR? If yes, the the TAA on older Unity versions is unusable. For newer version, as mentioned above, it's quite okay, if you don't have too much contrast going on in the scene.

9. Shanti_Baba

Shanti_Baba

Yes its VR
    I guess i will try to upgrade the version :(:(

Qleenie likes this.
  10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Try clicking on the three dot button on the component and select show all additional properties

11. jjejj87

jjejj87

Pierre, I think you might be giving him more hope than you think :)
    While TAA has seen some minor improvements lately, it can still generate very bad ghosting. I can't really judge whether this is better than industry standard or not because I've moved on from using TAA a while ago...

But for your information.

Here is HDRP13, 2022.1b4 TAA. This version is the latest (other than the HDRP14 which is yet available publicly) and should contain all mentioned TAA improvements
    taa.png

Conclusion of the current TAA:

Low speed rejection creates ghosting (expected)
    High speed rejection creates rendering glitch (white flashing)
    Value of 0.2 is the highest rejection amount that can be reached without flashing, but it still ghosts.
    So, like chap-unity said, don't expect wonders.

TAA needs a layer/depth masking to reduce close to camera objects like we do for racing games.

One last thing.

DLSS fixes all this.

12. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

Would you mind sharing a video of the flickering you mentioned with the white flashes? This might be something we could look into.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2022
  13. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

When I read flickering I felt you may have been blending reflection probes for a moment, but I'd also be interested in seeing TAA causing this :eek:

14. Deleted User

Deleted User

U can import the third person controller sample from the asset store and enable TAA... U will see the smudging effect on the character when rotating the camera and on the arms aswell when running..... Speed rejection fixes it quite a bit.. but why do the moving objects don't get proper TAA is it the problem in motion vectors??

15. HIBIKI_entertainment

HIBIKI_entertainment

This has got me curious now actually.

By default in HDRP motion vectors should be enabled on the back end, so any new mesh should have motion vectors enabled be default. This doesn't work retrospectively however, so if you happened to have it off in your project, mesh imports would also have it off, if you then switched the meshes wouldn't switch.

Skinned mesh is also supported,
    SkinnedMeshRenderer.skinnedMotionVectors
    and transparent too ( once enabled from the material)

Is the store controller the 3rd /1st person one that has the Cinemachine controller?

16. pierred_unity

pierred_unity

Unity Technologies

These fast-moving first-person use cases are one of the worst case scenarios for TAA: you have a massive range of random motion in screen space, with new pixels (= the ones appearing behind the first person assets) that do not have any history, and on top of this you might have a high contrast between moving and static objects. This introduces a lot of potential ghosting/smearing, which can be partially fixed by speed rejection, but like @chap-unity said, don't expect miracles. There are custom techniques that can be applied to reduce ghosting on specific objects/areas of the screen (e.g. stencil masking), but we do not offer them yet out of the box.

In its current form, TAA is very well suited to slower-paced situations without fast moving objects right in front of the camera. Think 3rd person games, like RDR2 for instance.

For VR scenario, I would personally prefer using MSAA + FXAA (or SMAA, depending on taste/art style). It often depends a lot on your own preference and your tolerance to temporal artifacts.

chap-unity, Deleted User and Qleenie like this.