Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange results when trying to make custom jump animation

Discussion in 'Animation' started by andrewdbanks, Feb 28, 2015.

1. andrewdbanks

andrewdbanks

I posted this on the Unity3D subreddit, and I haven't gotten any bites so far, but I can really use all the help I can get with this one.

I'm not an artist. I'll be perfectly blunt about that. I've done all of the Unity tutorials on the main site, and I want to start making some of my own stuff. An unfortunate crutch that those tutorials gets you used to is that all of the assets are pre-made. I'm perfectly fine with using programmer art while I experiment and prototype, but I can't even seem to make my programmer art work.

I made a basic human model in Blender based off of a YouTube tutorial and rigged it with rigify. I know all of this works properly, because I can use this model and rig with the free pre-made raw motion capture animations in the Unity asset store. I've got idle and walk animations implemented using a lot of the code found in Unity's default stealth game tutorial. However, I want to make my character jump (platformer-style) now, which is not only something that wasn't covered in the Unity tutorials, but it also doesn't have a good animation for it in the motion capture library.

I went back to Blender to make my own jump animation; just something basic inspired by Mega Man. Here is what the last frame of the animation looks like in Blender (and yes, it animates properly when I preview it). Here is what it looks like in the preview pane in Unity. Notice the foot, and keep in mind that my rig works perfectly fine with all of the motion capture stuff, so it shouldn't have anything to do with weight painting. Now even weirder, this fetal position is what happens when I actually make the character switch to the animation.

Besides the animation, the other problem I have is that even though I'm using this code to jump, and even though my character has "Use Gravity" selected, he'll never fall back down to the plane he stood on initially.

Any ideas, guys? I know this is a huge wall of text, but I'd appreciate any help you guys can offer.

2. Jself

Jself

The foot break doesn't look like a weighting problem but a naming convention or hierarchy problem. Make sure the naming and parent/child hierarchy is consistent between the mocap skeleton files and the handkeyed skeleton. Which could be related to why he is going into a fetal position as well.