Search Unity

Question Strange problem with particles in 2020 LTS and VR

Discussion in 'VR' started by MDADigital, Apr 27, 2021.

1. MDADigital

MDADigital

Hey guys.
    We have a strange artifact in VR with particles since we upgraded from 2019 to 2020. We have also changed from single pass to single pass instanced.

I can see shadows or ghosts from other objects in the particle effect in right eye. See here

Ideas? We use legacy particle shaders like Alpha Blended and Addative. But we have tried the none legacy shaders with same outcome.

2. MDADigital

MDADigital

@TreyK-47 Hi, is Unity aware of this problem? We use Unity shaders only. (Built in rendering)

3. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

Flagging for the team to have a look!

4. MDADigital

MDADigital

Sorry I made a mistake, I thought Standard Surface didn't fix the problem but I had missed one sub particle system that still was on Legacy Alpha Blended. When all are running Standard Surface it works. But I haven't been able to recreate the look of the particle system using Standard surface.

I have been able to boil down by editing the legacy shader that it's related to soft particle setting since it uses the depth buffer. I have tried to migrate over the soft particle code from standard surface to legacy without success.

5. MDADigital

MDADigital

@TreyK-4 Actually soft particles is broken in Particles/Standard Unlit too. If I tick soft paticles I get same behavior as in Legacy Alpha Blend

6. MDADigital

MDADigital

This seems to be a bug in Standard Unlit, please confirm @TreyK-4

When using soft particles on the Standard Unlit particle shader in VR, the depth buffer for soft particle fading is incorrectly sampled which causes particles in right eye to fade completely (invisible) if an object is in front of the particle.

7. spvn

spvn

any updates on this? I just encountered this problem on 2020.3.11 and don't see anything in the patch notes of newer versions that address this problem.

8. spvn

spvn

@TreyK-47 is there any bug ticket to track the fix for this? Currently soft particles are not possible in VR as detailed by MDADigital

9. TreyK-47

TreyK-47

Unity Technologies

I'll ping the team for an update on this.

10. FlaimBrad

FlaimBrad

Hi, has there been any update to this?