Search Unity

strange material problem

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by sr, Aug 28, 2006.

1. sr

sr

hi,

i had a working room geometry in unity, brought over from maya. with textures aligned on the walls. then i seperated some faces to detach the ceiling, so i could have a different material on it. but bringing it back to unity the texturing was suddenly gone and it appears to be simply vertex-lit now. both the walls and the ceiling do not show any texturing, even when a new shader is applied. i also checked the uv-linking in maya but couldn't see anything wrong about it. the uv's are still working in maya.

what could be the problem here?

Attached Files:

2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

From the screen shot it looks like the wall and ceiling are still one mesh. Once in a great while I'll get a problem where an import from Maya will just stop importing properly and it takes a Unity restart to fix the problem.

Another problem I keep accidently running into is I'll import Surface Shaders from Maya and no textures will show up, even if I try to assign a new Shader to the mesh inside Unity.

3. Alpha-Loup

Alpha-Loup

Its the same from inside Cinema 4D. Without an assigned bitmap inside the 3D app the import doesnt work.

@sr
    Really nice textures, by the way!

4. freyr

freyr

Iv'e seen this for Blender as well. It seems as if the 3D apps are being a teensy bit too smart for their own good. When no texture is assigned to a mesh in side the app, it will not export any UVs thinking that they are not needed. The solution should be to simply assign a texture before saving/exporting the mesh.

5. pete

pete

for what it's worth, same in lightwave. you have to have a texture assigned before export...

6. sr

sr

thanks a lot, you were right.

the strange thing is that it HAD a working textured shader assigned and everything looked right. but somehow the export was still broken.
    i just built the same shaders again in maya and assigned them and NOW they work.

7. joacoerazo_legacy

joacoerazo_legacy

Sorry I'm late

You have to rebuild your shader conection network before you get it working on Unity, I guess in the other 3d apps you have to do the same.

Good luck