Search Unity

Strange lighting error in baked lightmap

Discussion in 'Global Illumination' started by AndersMalmgren, May 16, 2018.

1. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

So, hmm, the systems color missmatch bug seems fixed in 2017.4.5

upload_2018-6-14_0-8-43.png

But now I instead get massive edge bleed between meshes which I did not get as many in 2017.4.4 :p

JamesArndt likes this.
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

It's funny how a lot of the Beast lightmap bakes looked better than this and that was much older tech. Shoot I've seen PS2 era games with nicer looking light baking. How can one of the biggest game engines in the world still not get light baking right? This might work for a lesser known, small scale engine, but Unity has always prided itself on it's ease of use and that it's features "just work" right out of the box. The lightmapping in Unity does not just work right out of the box with clean results. I'm over bitching about it, but I wish I knew how I could affect change and help get this lightmapper working the way it should. Especially for us mobile development guys...lightmapping is pivotal for a good amount of 3D games.

AndersMalmgren likes this.
  3. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah, VR dev here, so in the same boat, until a new Renderer surface that can output solid real time GI at 90 fps at all times

JamesArndt likes this.
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Unity have responded on my Bug report I created for this and they can reproduce the lightmap problem and have sent it to the devs, so lets see what they have to say.

5. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Isnt this really strange, I have mesh baked together these meshes with Meshbaker and I still get a seam

upload_2018-6-21_19-31-24.png

How should I fix seams like this?

6. Stardog

Stardog

Meshbaker probably just merged the meshes into one mesh, not actually welded the vertices and fixes seams.

Select mesh asset and go to Generate Lightmap UVs > Pack Margin and make it 10 or higher and rebake.

7. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I tried higher values (not 10 but 0,1 instead of the default 0.005), but it gave really wierd result, will try again and post a screen shot. Strange thing is this exakt door post mesh works on some places without bleed (and without mesh baking) and at other places gives bleed like this. baking is really messy

edit: ah, not the mehs baker settings but the UNity UVs settings, got it

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

9. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Other strange things with enlighten, this red light has soft shadows set

upload_2018-6-22_11-28-18.png

Still bleeds through solid meshes
    upload_2018-6-22_11-29-43.png

JamesArndt likes this.
  10. Stardog

Stardog

I mean on the mesh that is joined together. The mesh that contains the door and the window.

11. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I believe that's because indirect shadowing doesn't work with enlighten. Means the direct light does cast shadows, but it produces indirect light as if it doesn't. It's a limitation of enlighten.

12. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Realtime GI is off, this if baked only, but you maybe ment baked indirect ?
    All meshes has 32 margin, I can try I creasing more but I doubt it help, what's funny is that at other places it work better with almost no visible joint. At most places I can use a pillar to hide the seam, but not always :/

13. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

I could be wrong, or it may have changed recently, but if you're using enlighten, a lot of the weaknesses of realtime GI do transfer to the Enlighten's baked GI as well.

14. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah it feels like lighting is Unitys big achilles heel right now, 2018 is fixing much of the other problems but lighting still is a big mess, specially if you are in VR like us and need baked lighting

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Out of curiosity, why aren't you using the progressive lightmapper?

16. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

It's too slow for larger scenes. Our biggest scene is 512x512 meters and it just doesn't work with the PLM

17. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

Fair enough. I use PLM almost exclusively these days, but my scenes are small-ish.

18. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah , our biggest scene take a few hours on a 8 core 2700x Ryzen with enlighten. For fun I tried PLM and after 12 hours I gave up it wasn't even near done

19. FiveFingerStudios

FiveFingerStudios

@AnderMalmgren

Did you ever fix the issues with the seams? I'm currently using enlighten, use Meshbaker and have the same exact issue in SOME places with the same mesh and some places its fine.

By the way, small world..LOL...just noticing that we were chatting on another thread. I ended up installing Oculus Audio and writing my own occlusion code.

20. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Nope haven't worked more on these matters.