Search Unity

1. Unity 2019.2 is now released.
    Dismiss Notice

Strange Issue Changing the Lighting of My Scene

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by goldenhaddix99, Mar 27, 2019.

1. goldenhaddix99

goldenhaddix99

Hello. I am new to Unity so I'm unfamiliar with a lot here. I have never had this issue before, but when I load the editor up, my scene looks normal. See below.

scene1a.JPG

However, if I wait about 1 minute or so, without touching a single thing, my scene will switch to this.

scene1b.JPG

As you can see, the depth in the trees is gone, the tractor is almost completely dark as well as the ghoul character in the middle. The shadows seem to just disappear. I also cannot change my directional light, which is lighting the scene, at all when this occurs.

Another example here with the trees: Dark, can barely see through. Foggy. This is normal and how I want it.

scene1aa.JPG

And here is afterward: Obviously doesn't look good and lacks shadows.

scene1ab.JPG

Doing a simple restart of my scene does fix it, but only for a minute until it reverts back. This also affects how it looks while testing it in the game view.

I have been working with this scene for weeks now and have only had this issue yesterday. I've barely made any changes to it too.

Does anybody recognize this issue? If so, please help me! Thank you.

EDIT: Also - this is Unity 2017.4.0f1 and I cannot update because this is the version that my game design course is using.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2019
  2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

In the bottom right corner of the editor, is there a progress bar going when this issue occurs?

3. goldenhaddix99

goldenhaddix99

Nope, it stays like that until I reload it.

4. Madgvox

Madgvox

Do you have automatic GI baking on?

5. goldenhaddix99

goldenhaddix99

Yes! Looks like that was the issue. Thank you!

Madgvox likes this.
  6. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Just FYI, when baking is running you will see a progress bar in the very bottom right corner of the editor.