Search Unity

Strange crash/freeze with glrAppleSyncState in OSX Editor only

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by gametr4x, Jul 30, 2014.

1. gametr4x

gametr4x

I've recently started encountering an issue on the OSX Editor, using Mavericks. I've confirmed it also happens when using only a single monitor. Usually the Editor will just hang indefinitely, but every so often it actually manages to crash and then the error is as follows:

It appears to be caused by an object that is being rendered, and here's the funny thing: it only happens when that object comes into view quickly. If I slowly drag the scene camera across the entire scene, everything is fine. If I scroll-zoom-in a bit too quick, or move around a bit too much (it's really not that fast at all, so it makes the editor unusable), it hangs.

Has anybody ever seen anything like this?

What I've done so far:
    - Reinstall Unity (4.3.4, no I can't go to 4.5)
    - Restart computer
    - Use only a single monitor

The exact same project works perfectly fine when using a PC with Windows 8, or a Mac with Bootcamp running Windows 7 or 8 (all 3 of those combinations confirmed to work), so it's definitely an OSX only problem, perhaps also specific to the setup I have. Here are the specs:

Macbook Pro 15", 2.3Ghz i5, 8GB 1333 Mhz DDR3, OS X 10.9.4, Intel HD Graphics 3000 512MB

2. gametr4x

gametr4x

The following message can also be found in the log:

Filed as bug report: case 623152

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  3. yakandco

yakandco

Hey did you ever get a resolution on this bug... I'm getting something very similar to this even in Unity5. I'm pretty sure I was experiencing this rare crash in Unity 4.6 too. There's lots of discussion on my similar problem here, but yes I am getting something VERY similar. I have the same graphics card and looks to be a model from the same era - 2011 I think (mine is a 13"). I have never been able to get it to crash though, only hangs. Im also on Mavericks.

4. gametr4x

gametr4x

Never got resolved or picked up from what I can find. You could try and poke around a bit and report a new case, perhaps add more information (I wasn't very clear, and couldn't attach project, maybe you can).

5. Dok101

Dok101

Im going to bump this because Im getting this same problem repeatedly in unity 5

6. LAustralien

LAustralien

Has this ever been resolved?

I was using Unity 5.3.3 because of similar issue and had logged a bug report with Unity back in April 2016 but I haven't heard anything back from them.

I upgraded to the latest Unity 5.4.0f43 yesterday hoping the problem would have been fixed. It hasn't :(

My configuration is MacBookPro 13'', 2.8GHz Intel Corei7, 16GB 1333 MHz DDR3, Intel Graphics 3000 512MB
    I use a Apple Thunderbolt Display 27-inch
    I have Unity Pro license 5.4.0f3

The Editor Log after the crash shows the following msg:
    "void glrAppleSyncState(GLDContext, bool): Aborting: error with call to GHAL SP BindPipeline after 0 attempts with forceSendState as 1 "

For what it's worth, the automated bug report sent to Apple with this Unity crash always show that the thread causing the crash (SIGABRT) is "UnityGfxDeviceWorker". I saw someone reporting a similar problem on StackOverFlow here but hasn't had any response/ answer since posting.

7. LAustralien

LAustralien

Oh and I am using OSX 10.11.6