Search Unity

1. New Unity Live Help updates. Check them out here!

Dismiss Notice

Strange connection issues,

Discussion in 'Connected Games' started by Christian-Tucker, Oct 23, 2013.

1. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Alright, so I don't really understand what is going on, before anyone goes to point out that it has to do with "Port Forwarding" or a "Firewall exception", I'd like to state that you're wrong. I don't have any type of fire-wall running and my ports are forwarded correctly.

I recently picked up the SmartFox Server, and started to mess around with it, however once I wanted to test it over the internet, everything started falling apart, when they tried to connect to me via my IPv4 address, they could not..

Now, I had to think back a bit, but I did figure out it wasn't a port problem, I tested port 9933 and it was working fine, however I changed the SmartFox Server to listen for TCP/UDP on port 5555, which also didn't do anything for me, so, I went ahead and wrote a very, VERY basic BARE-BONES back end, to see what was going on

(This is a java back-end, basic server)

Code (csharp):
    1. import java.io.IOException;
    2. import java.net.ServerSocket;
    3. import java.net.Socket;
    6. public class Main implements Runnable {
    8.     ServerSocket _serverSocket;
    9.     Socket _socket;
    11.     public Main() {
    12.         try {
    13.             System.out.println("Starting Server");
    14.             _serverSocket = new ServerSocket(5555);
    15.         } catch (IOException e) {
    16.             System.out.println("Startup Failed");
    17.             e.printStackTrace();
    18.         }
    19.     }
    21.     public void run() {
    22.         while(true) {
    23.             try {
    24.                 _socket = _serverSocket.accept();
    25.                 String connectingHost = _socket.getInetAddress().getHostName();
    26.                 System.out.println("Connection from " + connectingHost);
    27.             } catch (IOException e) {
    28.                 e.printStackTrace();
    29.             }
    30.         }
    31.     }
    33.     public static void main(String args[]) {
    34.         new Thread(new Main()).start();
    35.     }
    36. }
    Alright, so I'm running this server, now I try to connect locally using my Unity3D application and I receive the following message from the server:

Great, so I have connected locally, so I attempted to connect using my Ip address, 50.**.**.110

Alright, so it's obviously connecting and I'm not getting any connection errors on the unity side, so does anyone know what's going on? I've spent the last 2-3 hours learning how to use Smart-Fox server, and although I don't have a detailed understanding of it yet, I'm proud of what I've accomplished on a "localhost" scale and would like to branch it outwards.

2. appels

appels

Can you explain this sentence, not sure what your doing here:
    First you state that it worked on 9933 and then you say that it also doesn't do anything on 5555 ?
    Also not that testing on localhost and the internet are different things but a simple telnet on the TCP port should give some info.

3. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

Better explained, SmartFox by default listens on port: 9933
    The server that I wrote up was listening on port: 5555

After realizing that I could connect to the basic server that I wrote that listened on port: 5555 I set SmartFox to listen on Port: 5555, which in result still didn't do anything (Couldn't connect/locate the server)

After that, I changed my custom server to listen on port: 9933 instead of 5555, and I could still connect, this was my testing to ensure it was not a port related issue.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  4. appels

appels

Are you using the WebPlayer? And if you are using it, are you prefetching the policy?

5. Christian-Tucker

Christian-Tucker

6. foxter888

foxter888

are you using unity free or pro?

unityunity