Search Unity

Strange behavior between capsule and spehere

Discussion in 'Physics' started by Vedrit, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Vedrit

Vedrit

Hi all,
    I'm posting this in physics because I believe it to be a physics issue. I've recently swapped out my stand-in character from a sphere to a capsule. All the same settings and components, except for mesh and collider, obviously. It has a rigidbody, and movement is applying a velocity to the RB.
    The strange behavior I'm noticing is when the character goes down a slope. With the sphere, it was very smooth, no problems whatsoever. With the capsule, however, there's very noticeable stuttering, as if it's moving down a set of stairs rather than a smooth slope. Forward, then down, forward, then down.
    There's no issue going up the slope, only going down.
    When I brought this up to the other programmer on the team, he said he's noticed that in other projects using the capsule as a stand-in. So, anyone know the reason for the behavior? Is the capsule actually just a cylinder whose mesh was rounded but physics did not?

2. Geckoo

Geckoo

3. Vedrit

Vedrit

What version in 5.3? I'm running 5.3.5f1

4. Vedrit

Vedrit

I've done some testing and if I use a cube, I get strange behavior as well, but the opposite of what the capsule exhibits; the cube stutters going up a slope.
    Also, upon closer inspection, it seems that when the capsule is going down the slope, it goes down slightly too far, ending up with a small portion entered into the slope, which leads to the object to jut directly forward as the character continue to move.
    All in all, it's very strange.