Search Unity

Stranded Deep

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Ben-Massey, Jan 11, 2013.

1. Bananatron

Bananatron

2. Drusinian

Drusinian

you should really do some more on this

3. cscotttaakan

cscotttaakan

Also, to make it more immersive, you should definitely have the shark bite be way more dramatic. You just got bitten by a SHARK. You should be bleeding profusely, your vision going blurry and need a first aid kit ASAP.

4. sirenpro

sirenpro

I love the idea. If your not doing any islands, maybe having dozens of abandoned ships, rafts etc adrift to explore. Maybe the story could a huge storm took a wrong term and wiped out hundreds of ships. Then you could have other survivors out to sea, maybe situations were you have to make decisions to trust over survivors, just ideas.

5. Zoltoks

Zoltoks

This is Sick! The only thing letting me down is the music of when the shark is attacking you, but this is wicked! Definitly should make it so you can get off the boat onto another boat or somthing where its haunted, but i almost love the idea of only being in a raft boat idk why but its so cool!

6. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I thought why not let everyone snoop around in the webplayer, not much you can do but still pretty interesting. This was the first build.

WEBPLAYER (01/19/13)
    -Removed-

Let me know if you have any issues, you can turn of motion blur if your frame rate drops although it runs fine on my 6 year old mac!

On another note... I just checked out Life of Pi, great film... and its given me alot to think about.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  7. virror

virror

Very nice!
    Did you ever managed to get all the way to the other raft, seems soooo far? : p

8. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Does not work in Chrome for be, but it's fine in Firefox.

Man, that is freaky!!! Thanks for uploading a webplayer so fast!

And I say this once again: This thing looks awesome, good luck!

9. Kaha

Kaha

This looks really great! Glad to hear you plan to work on it to push it further. I like the simple concept of having a reduced safe zone (the boat) and the player needs to explore the wide dangerous zone (the ocean). If you plan to have an end, it could be introduced by a new location (island, bigger boat, helicopter, ...) - just my thoughts.

Anyway I'll keep an eye on this ! Good luck.

10. dtg108

dtg108

Looks amazing in webplayer, only complaint is that the guy walks very slow, but the jump is very fast. Other than that, it's amazing!

11. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Yes! finally Ben decided to turn this into a full fledged ben4views game! Great idea, great graphics, great gameplay!

12. dimelo

dimelo

Man I saw the game on steam (UP FOR THIS).

Congratz the project looks rly good.

Some ideas.... think about the maps (someone before said map pieces), some navigation tool (I now you said NO but eith the argument you can set some goals), the idea of the day/night cycle seems good (and keep the realism) and about the realism, reading what you post before, the idea of many boats doesn't sounds realistic (I'm not saying it is not good but how could you explain after a plain crash several boats was open close to each other), try to make some research about streams, it could be a good game mechanism and try in someway do the narrative of the story trough the game play for instance what happen with the plane (add some files and this sort of thing), add some blood in the water so you can explain how the shark got there.

Do you already know the specie of "your" shark?

I played the game and I have a question, is it possible reach the next boat?

Man good luck with your project and sorry about my English (I'm not a native)

btw I'm not a developer or anything close to that and I just have 1 post because i did the account just to give you a feedback (constructive I hope).

13. jimmyismike

jimmyismike

14. john-essy

john-essy

Whats the progress on this?

15. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

I would love to see a mystical or supernatural twist to this, nothing major, very discreet like an island that holds secrets or something, but still... looking awesome! :D

16. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Long time no post, been extremely busy and have gotten so much done its insane. Unfortunately development took a few halts due to the lack of creativity trying to incorporate gameplay mechanics and re playability.

Good news is Stranded Deep is now amongst the top 100 games on Greenlight, currently ranked #85 which is just astounding considering all that was displayed was an early alpha concept and bunch of development pictures. Good stuff! I have updated the initial post with some current screenshots and information so be sure to give that a quick read if you haven't already. I would love to post some more pictures on items, environments, characters and what not but this is all "Top Secret" so you'l just have to wait :p

Still early days in the making so don't aim your pistol just yet!

If you have any question feel free to pm/email me or drop a comment! :)

Last edited: Mar 25, 2013
  17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Oh the baby! I was starting to get worried because you had let your WIP thread sink but the project is still alive!
    Ben, Im sure this will be better than the new Tomb Raider. Keep up the good work. Im really interested in seeing the characters for this game.
    By the way what 3d program do you use for your models?

18. dtg108

dtg108

He did make an island! So it won't be continuously on the boat! Snowconesolid, any game could be better than the new tomb raider.

19. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Cheetah3D all the way! :)

20. iWoundPwn

iWoundPwn

This game looks amazing! Need help PM me. Following right now.

21. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Pretty sure Ben works alone. Also can I ask why you use Cheetah3D? :D

22. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

I do usually but like i mentioned on the initial post i have collaborated with another developer who's actually my cousin to see what we can make out of this. Why wouldnt i use cheetah? It works so naturally with Unity and gets the job done with ease.

23. virror

virror

Looking forward to this!
    Looks really cool so far.

24. JointJointGames

JointJointGames

This is great!
    the water is amazing! did you make it??

25. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

The water shader is completely in-house and has just been re-written with subsurface scattering and edge-based depth and foam effects, so stay posted for more screenshots ;)

26. dtg108

dtg108

[snip] Anyway, great work Ben, this went from a small game in the small programming/game section to this, it's looking amazing!

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2013
  27. kasulogamestudio

kasulogamestudio

Following this, it has great potential :)

28. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Aww mang! That hurt deep xD

29. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Just thought I'd post a small update --

The water is still very much a work in progress, but I like this screenshot.
    There's no white-caps on this screenshot as it made it hard to pick up the different little ways the water is reacting to the sunlight.
    It's so hard to capture the 'life' of a moving fluid in a single screenshot! If you look at the left side of the picture vs. the right side you can see the sun's position is affecting the overall colour of the water and also some nice sub-surface scattering on the wave peaks.

Plenty to do! :)

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  30. Blacklight

Blacklight

Teach me your magical ways!

31. LightSource

LightSource

That sound would be me falling off my chair.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  32. TehWut

TehWut

Yeah I'd buy your game just to see that gorgeous water

33. nipoco

nipoco

Looks neat from that screenshot. Would love to see a video or webplayer.

34. Ben-Massey

Ben-Massey

Better add an update too, still much a work in progress, i would like to introduce some more colours and better lighting.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2013
  35. AustinK

AustinK

That water looks amazing. Keep it up! Can't wait to see a video of some gameplay.

36. nipoco

nipoco

Looks sweet.
    Add some caustics and you have it!

37. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

wow, every single update is more impressive than the last. You know, this is going to "one of those" kind of games. I can tell. What I mean by that is this will be a very successful indie release and become well known in the gaming community. I just have that feeling. I mean there is so many indie games released on a daily bases but only a select few really stand out and get noticed by tons of people. I believe this is one of those games.

Keep it up. I like how you are not rushing anything and taking your time with it.

38. Ethaninja

Ethaninja

Looks absolutely beautiful man!

39. tweedie

tweedie

That water should be used in some Unity promotional art, it's incredible - best I've ever seen by far, right up there with AAA games!
    Keeping my eye on this project! :D

40. John-G

John-G

The water is amazing, can it do different wearer conditions like stormy big waves.
    You should consider releasing the water as an Asset store Item.
    Unity really needs a good ocean asset. I would definitely buy it ;)

41. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Thanks guys! It's comments like that that helps keep Ben and I motivated! haha.
    It's been a labor of love ..and part 'screw-you-cryengine', lol. Not quite, but I think Unity has a lot of potential and I've really been trying to push the limits with it re the water. There's a few bits and pieces to go but it's getting there.. I know Ben's been working hard on the underwater environment with some pretty cool optimisations, so when we get a chance to combine the two it should make for some great immersive gameplay.. that's the plan anyway! :)

On that note, Ben and I are working on a new tech demo of the water and underwater effects to showcase the progress of Stranded Deep's environment so far, so stay tuned!

42. virror

virror

Yay, tech demo : D

43. janpec

janpec

1.Like the underwater screenshot, maybe add some caustic and its perfect.
    2.What did you do to water? Looks the same as Cryengine ocean, top notch work.
    3.Even skybox looks great very neat and clean.

44. virror

virror

Looks like they mixed up the reference photo with the screenshot : D

45. MrBlackSwarm

MrBlackSwarm

Really cool concept, i'm waiting for this game..

46. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Just thought I'd post another screeny to keep you going until the tech vid :)

There's been some more progress with it since I took that screen-shot.. a few changes to the wave colour based on height and sun position which works nicely combined with the SSS. Still working on the white-caps, they look good, could probably be better (I like Assassin's Creed 3's approach), but that's going on the 'if-there's-time' list.

Tech demo is coming soon. Underwater is looking very cool ;)
    It's a good sign when you're having fun developing it!

47. NightPatrol

NightPatrol

Well.. judging by the screenshot, I reckon it's time I update my rig :D I'm guessing your shaders are DX11 then?

48. nipoco

nipoco

Out of curiosity. Is there any chance you will sell this shader in the Asset Store if done?

I would buy it.

49. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

(I post this without back-reading as I'm sadly behind on this thread...)

I noticed this on Steam Greenlight tonight!

Good luck!

50. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

No DX11 here :) Would love to have a play though.
    It runs alright on a Macbook Air.. Bens always making sure I keep things optimised :p

I wouldn't rule it out for a later stage, after we release SD obviously ;)

Thanks for the kind words guys, more screenies/vids to come so stay tuned!

Last edited: May 13, 2013