Search Unity

Strafe Run for iOS

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MentalFish, Nov 12, 2015.

1. MentalFish

MentalFish

Just popping by to tell you about the new game I released on iOS today:

https://itunes.apple.com/app/id1008111066

Strafe Run is a near-infinite flyer where you play as François the Flying Frenchman during the first world war. Understandably he is a grumpy pilot, crashing as often as he is, it adds to the stress of being a pilot in a plane that can bare fly, and most of the time it insta-crashes when he tries to land.

Give it a go, tally-ho!

2. GarBenjamin

GarBenjamin

This is one of the most interesting looking games I've seen here in a while. It has a nice retro vibe to it.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  3. Gim117

Gim117

This looks like fun! the perspective you used is very inspiring. i have never thaught of that by myself!
    Great style as well.

Good luck with your game!

4. KeithSizemore

KeithSizemore

This is brilliant! I love the perspective and style on this. My only input, and I'm sure it's crazy, but I work in film and animation and we always go to the rule, left to right is always more appealing for traveling forward. It's a subconscious thing for people like reading a book or hand writing. It's been ingrained in us. I'm not sure the amount of work for such and undertaking, but it could increase the appeal of your game 10 fold.

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

An infinite shoot them up with a back side view, that's look good.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  6. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

A nice spin on the runner genre. Nice work.
    I think a spinning dive crash towards the ground would be a more appropriate - game over, but I'm sure you did this on purpose.

Umm kinda -
    So - does this mean people in Asia subconsciously feel like all sidescrollers that travel from left to right are backwards?
    I'm sure this was a conscious design decision by MentalFish. I've also considered the ramifications of implementing a right to left platformer. I believe it increases the initial difficulty level but it isn't a continuous increase. The difficulty levels after a certain amount (minutes) of game play.
    Most platformers - ala runners with a goal and more than one level have multi-directional levels, even though most start at the beginning from left to right.

7. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

I checked out the game on my iphone 4s.
    It plays well when in game but definitely has lag on load. Nothing I didnt expect.
    The visuals are real good - and the right to left direction plays perfectly.

The game is pretty difficult and one issue I encountered was I earned coins in game but it didnt transfer once I returned to the menu. I earned over 30 coins and when returning to the menu I only had one gold coin. Is this by design?

Everything else works great. Even on my old 4s