Search Unity

Utilities Permanently 70%off. Storyteller 2023. Dialogue , Interaction, and more (Unity Awards Nominee)

Discussion in 'Tools In Progress' started by Ruchmair, Apr 17, 2018.

1. CrandellWS

CrandellWS

I think you should offer @MrIconic that discount for pointing this out... or even a free copy

2. MrIconic

MrIconic

Ohh. I never knew they decided on stuff like that. Thanks for the quick reply. I usually coordinate my purchases within sales so I'll keep an eye on this one.

However, I did not know you made PRO Radar Builder. Haven't tried it yet but purchased that a few sales ago but that one seems like a great asset so I'm even more interested now.

Keep up the good work.

Ruchmair likes this.
  3. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

if i don't get any % off sales soon, I will hard cut my price to 50% for two days or so and let you know.

AGregori, MrIconic and CrandellWS like this.
  4. AGregori

AGregori

This looks great, but there are not many reviews. Does it basically do what Articy Draft does, but inside Unity?

5. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

But better, and is Unity dedicated :) so it allows you to do much more.

6. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

A new lock system has been added to the timeline.
    this allows you to keep a interaction fixed in place.

AGregori likes this.
  7. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Game bridge is not "missing" from the assetstore.
    it is included in the Storyteller Asset.

8. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Also, i will probably set up the 50% off thing later on

AGregori likes this.
  9. TonCoder

TonCoder

Hi,

This asset looks wonderful and love the concept of it so I went for it. Though I am having an issue when I try to "play" the dialogue. This is a fresh project with nothing other than the Storyteller and I get the following error:
    upload_2021-9-29_0-47-26.png
    No information other than "Argument Null Exception: Value cannot be null. Parameter name: asset"

Not sure what asset it is talking about or referring to when I have not even created anything.

Unity ver:
    2019.4.20f1

10. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Hmm it may be just a one off error ? does it happen each time ?

I know that the update i did last week had an error with route nodes in because i forgot n if statement somewhere.

i just got my computer so i'm working on a lot of new update right now too , if i come across this message i can track it .

11. TonCoder

TonCoder

If I run into it again I'll give you heads up. It didn't stop anything from working for what I can tell currently.

Ruchmair likes this.
  12. apprenticegc

apprenticegc

Can not run sample in Unity 2021.2.3f1. It keeps popping up the message

Code (CSharp):
    2. NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    3. DaiMangou.Storyteller.IconManager.SetIcon (UnityEngine.Object gObj, UnityEngine.Texture2D texture) (at <22f622488e7d44229e4aa55daf9ad431>:0)
    4. DaiMangou.Storyteller.IconManager.SetIcon (UnityEngine.Object gObj, DaiMangou.Storyteller.IconManager+DaiMangouIcons icon) (at <22f622488e7d44229e4aa55daf9ad431>:0)
    5. DaiMangou.BridgedData.SceneData.OnEnable () (at Assets/Storyteller/Game Bridge/Bridged Data/ScriptableObjectData/SceneData.cs:79)

13. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

oh 2021 , I've never tried that specific version. i am installing it to test now.
    that's the internal icon setting code that has been running from from unity 2017 to early unity 2021.

that error may mean that Unity 2021.2.3f1 has change their code and i'll have to made another update to adjust to it. i'll find out.

14. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Yeah I am testing in 2021.2 also and i have the same issue. They updated their internals a bit . i'll have to disable all icons fort all 2021 versions until i find a way to bring the icons back.

15. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Unity made the icon setting code public now so the my icon setting code that works in 2018 to early 2021 is incompatible with 2021.2 but i found a minor workaround which gets rid of the errors. at a later time i'll look into letting the icons show in 2021.2X >

16. MOHITyqit

MOHITyqit

I wanna do text to speech is there any way to do that?

C_p_H likes this.
  17. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

no, you cant do that out of the box. I'd like to be able to add that but its too difficult to create.

18. shounan

shounan

Hello.

I just started using Storyteller.
    Great job!

I would like to see a search text box added to the voice file selection dialog!

CrandellWS likes this.
  19. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Oh, i should definitely add that.

CrandellWS likes this.
  20. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Search Function has been added. it will be in the next release , which may be within 5 hours after this post.

CrandellWS likes this.
  21. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

The UI of the audio selection window has also been updated.

CrandellWS and AGregori like this.
  22. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I added a new time loop system for allowing characters to redo past dialogue and interactions multiple times with just one node instead of multiple nodes. Minor UI update coming next for Storyteller.

CrandellWS and C_p_H like this.
  23. Czar-Man

Czar-Man

Hi! I just started looking at tutorials on Storyteller and like the ease of use and features. I noticed that some tutorial videos contain Unity scene assets of the game running.

They contain all the art assets, UI and objects needed to run Storyteller in Unity without creating your own from scratch or other resources[edit]. I can't seem to find any of those in the included project folders, but it would be very helpful for learning to integrate stories into a game. Is there or will there be downloadable samples like this?

Don't get me wrong, I like the existing Example Stories, I want to see what they look like in Unity game scenes.

Thanks for your help!

Last edited: Sep 11, 2022
  24. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

there are 4 example scens that are shown in tutorials that are included . they are in the Scenes folder, under Game Bridge > Example Game Bridge Scene Assets > Scenes

25. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

at the end of this video at about 01:50 , is a interesting thing that I found out that I could do.

26. WolfDreamer

WolfDreamer

I don't have that location. Scenes folder has "SampleScene.unity" and that's it. There is a Storyteller>GameBridge folder but no scenes in it.

27. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

of the folder layout has been updated. the scenes are now all next to their respective scene data and unity scenes and story files in the example assets > Games folder

28. Omegazircon

Omegazircon

May I ask where is discord now sir Can I ask a question right here? If I want to change a background in the same scene how can I do it?

29. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

@Omegazircon . There is no more Discord.
    After what you have done you have lost the privilege receiving help other than via email.

so send an email.

30. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

To everyone else.
    if you have questions regarding game specific things such as.

How can I use storyteller to make characters exchange items?
    How can I use storyteller to make my game weather change?
    How can I use storyteller with a mobile controller ?
    How can I use storyteller to switch sprites ?

as you can tell these are game specific and storyteller does not come with a item exchange system or weather control system, or sprite swap system or mobile control system,

But storyteller can still do all these things by using the contrition system to control YOUR item exchange function , your weather function , your sprites etc...

also the kind of character control you use does not matter. if you are making a mobile vile game it is assumed that you have your own character controls.

This may seem obvious but I have had someone become quite upset about not having a mobile controller code..... which unity does provide for free.

31. basilwort5

basilwort5

I love this asset. First question, I am on Linux Mint, and the tooltip boxes in Unity Editor are very large (height wise, they have one line but the box could contain many lines). Do you know, is there a config setting or somewhere in the code where I could change the height?

Second question, Text to Node window (p.29 in User Guide) -- screenshot has 'beta'. Is it available? User Guide says to open the Text to Node window, but I cannot find a menu or control to open it.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
  32. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

could you share a screenshot here, and look in the resources folder for the Storyteller.guiskin there are setting in there for controlling content size to some degree.
    with the screenshot I can see if I need to do any code change to edit UI scale.

The TTN was recently removed after being updated as I found that it was very impractical.
    so for example, sure you could convert a 5 page story document to nodes But the time it would take to manually write the format for each line, you could manually recreate the story in storyteller in a fraction of the time.

The User Guide does need to be updated, since a handful of minor changes took place in a very short time.

33. basilwort5

basilwort5

Thank you for pointing out Storyteller.guiskin. I found Custom Styles > tooltip, and set "Alignment" : "Upper Left", "Fixed Height" : 30, and ticked "Stretch Height". It gets closer to what I'd like, but still has a large box behind it. Screenshot:
    upload_2023-1-19_17-18-51.png

Storyteller.guiskin also had Box, Text Area, and Text Field. But changing those settings did not seem to change the background box.

34. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

oh heck that's massive!
    one moment i will go look at the code.

it somehow draws different on your machine. give me about 30 minutes

35. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

look in the custom styles 13 and set the font size to 12 and tell me if that corrects it.

if not then its the worst possible thing, bug with the Unity GUIStyle class.

by this time the issue cause will be confirmed to be the GUIStyle class but if you have access to a PC or mac you can check it there too.

let me know what the result is

36. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I updated the system to use Unity default tooltip instead of my custom tooltips , so everything should be scaled correctly .
    you can download the update in about 30 minutes, or 1 hour. depending on my upload speed

basilwort5 likes this.
  37. Omegazircon

Omegazircon

May I ask what's the different between Dialogue node and Action node? I know only one thing that's Action node don't have voice mode.

38. basilwort5

basilwort5

Thank you very much -- with package update, on my Linux Mint 19.1, the tooltip box fits tightly to the text, does not have massive oversized background box, so it's fixed!! This fix makes asset much easier to use, I am really excited to make something with it. Tried on PC - Win 10, looks good too. Thank you for very quick response.

Ruchmair likes this.
  39. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Doing a new update with some new info and workflows to streamline development

40. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

the update will now run a cleanup check on your active scene. an will stop the data push is issues are found.

41. Omegazircon

Omegazircon

May I ask what's the different between Dialogue node and Action node? I know only one thing that's Action node don't have voice mode.

42. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

@Omegazircon
    PLEASE STOP!!!!
    you gave a 1 star review + rant about the asset not being worth 100 dollars even though you had not truly used it OR READ THE USER GUIDE.

How do I know this???

PAGE 9 OF THE USER GUID LITERALLY SAYS WHAT THE DIFERENCE BETWEEN ACTION AND DIALOGUE NODES ARE!!

I went as far as put a user guide copy in the asset folder for offline viewing too.

On top of that I literally talk about it in the latest tutorial too.

you are literally a troll !
    all 3 of your first ever message has been here and you continue to not listen.

I told you that you have lost the privilege of any support aside from EMAL SUPPORT.

you made the discord toxic and now it is gone. you are lucky you even get a response.

I am literally reporting you to unity.

43. Omegazircon

Omegazircon

@DaiMangou
    What's wrong with you bro? I bought your asset because I want to use it and after try to use it then I just want some support from developer am I wrong? Like I told you before I already read all of your pdf but it's still confused that's why I ask you. I didn't do any toxic in your discord at all. I just asked you how to set up for the first time if I want to do a 2d novel and you didn't answer me anything then when I review on your asset you just delete a discord and blame me instead of helping your customer to fix the problem what a good developer. Since I bought your asset until now I still confused how to set up from the start and you never help me at all.
    For my Question about how different I ask because I don't understand how can it be different except Action node don't have voice mode.
    what1.png

And Yep I already read it like I told you many time but what I got from your pdf is nothing helpful
    In your pdf said "also have storyboad,sound effect and represent action via text" so what's the different ?
    It can do almost the same thing except voiceover mode

That's why I wonder and think it may be have another different so I ask to clarify it.

what2.png
    I just want support from developer because I bought your asset not get for free so If you want to report me to unity do it then. Because I didn't do anything wrong, I just ask you nicely and you never help me at all

44. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

support from the developer you slandered to get the attention of by using the review section of an asset you had not actually used.
    you have been told to email your question but you keep posting it here . STOP

Reviews are not to be used as weapons to attempt to achieve a goal.
    for the 3rd time , you have lost the privilege of having questions answered in any public forum . Send an email instead

45. Omegazircon

Omegazircon

I didn't slandered you at all I tell the truth from my experience that I got from you who suppose to be supporter for customer I didn't get your asset for free I bought it you know that right?. You always said that I had not used your asset how can you know that? If I'm not why I ask for your help and you never answer my question nor help me at all. Do I have to pay you more to get support? I know you told me to send an email but if I send an email and you still won't answer me how can I do next? Every time I post to ask about your asset to help me fix the problem but you never help or answer my question. If I know the developer be childish like this I will never buy any asset from you for sure. you deserve for my review 100%. I bought a lot of asset and never review like yours before because I never got a worst experience like this.

46. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

send...an...email... You still have not ever written an email to me
    why do you never listen. i literal sad that you get your support only via email... like most other people do now.

I don't need you in the forum writing nonsense like this.
    you did the same in the discord.

When you use the review section as a weapon to try to get what you want , don't expect a publisher to suck-up to you and play nice.

after 9 years of publishing I don't put up with nonsense.
    Stop replying here.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2023
  47. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Enough. Contact the developer via email. If you can't get a resolution, ask for a refund. Constant ranting doesn't solve anything.

48. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Also, it should be noted that while the amount of support a developer provides it entirely up to them, it is generally expected that you have a reasonable amount of knowledge and experience using Unity and in the area you working in. It is expected to a developer to help with problems and/or bugs with their tool, they typically aren't expected to help you learn how develop. It is also a general practice (not just here or in development) that if you want help, you be polite and civil, that is just basic human stuff.

49. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

Thank you for your help

50. Ruchmair

Ruchmair

I will be extending the in editor tutorial to TRY and have it do a full development walkthrough.
    for story creation to game setup ( linear: displaying test and playing through, non-linear : sane + setting up 0 UI interactions.

shyamarama likes this.