Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

story and map ideas?

Discussion in 'World Building' started by davyj1221, May 13, 2018.

?

So what map would you guys like to see in a good horror game?

Poll closed Dec 13, 2018.
  1. Abandoned Mine

20.0%
  2. Ghost town

40.0%
  3. Old house

20.0%
  4. something else

20.0%
  1. davyj1221

davyj1221

Hey, I'm currently learning game development and unity is my first game engine.. so as a first game I decided to make a horror game BUT I can't figure out a good story for my game and because of that I am blank at the map part also.... So it would be of great help if you guys could help me...
    currently i have 3 ideas

[ * ] An abandoned mine....
    But how would I scare the player here?​
    [ * ] Ghost town -
    This one is good but again why would someone go to a ghost town and even if they did go there why will they stay there?​
    [ * ] Old house -
    I like this one but I would need a good map for the house and nice models....​

Now if you guys have any other suggestion please share it would help me a lot....

THANKS

2. gabrielw_unity

gabrielw_unity

Unity Technologies

davyj1221 likes this.
  3. davyj1221

davyj1221

4. newjerseyrunner

newjerseyrunner

Personally... I think your game should take place in an unidentifiable location with no textures what-so-ever. Your game should be fun without any graphics at all. It's something you gotta just force yourself to do. I'm artistic, so I desperately want to start drawing for my game. I've got 30 levels done, but there isn't a single texture in the world yet. It makes it so much easier to go back and tweak things or even make huge story changes.

For example: Have you heard of this gorgeous game Braid?

It looked like this for the majority of it's development:

Forget the map, what's the gameplay? Let your gameplay dictate your map, not the other way around. "What if our interstellar ship had a mile long roadway on the top of it full of random pillars and catwalks?" <- Halo logic.

5. skyemagethe3rd

skyemagethe3rd

If you're doing Horror, there are plenty of scenes to set the tone of your story. Start with what scares you, and find a way to translate that to your fan base. I mean no one can really help you with the process of your own imagination, only give you "aha" moments to better fuel the fire. Personally of all the ideas I like the Ghost Town the best. If you're having trouble figuring out the motive, skip it for now. Create the scene first, have fun with it, and the creative process will take hold. Before you know it you'll be seeing scenes you want to make, and get motive for why they're there. You'll have a handful of ideas of what you want and you can start to piece the story and game together from there. Good luck :)

6. Stohrm

Stohrm

I'm not into Horror (movies or games); but I do tend to be full of ideas: some are original; but most are simply offshoots and/or inspired by things I've seen/played.

In the above case: I'm reminded of the games DUNGEONS and DUNGEONS - Dark Lord. In this case, however, the player is a spelunker who has stumbled into a Labyrinth of an Evil Hermit. Honestly, I find it hard not to think of ways to scare the delver via the dweller: traps and pitfalls; ill fed mangy pets; etc.

Okay, it's a ghost town, right? Seems like the perfect place to find a would-be Ghost Buster or perhaps even an equestrian that wondered into the area by mistake. In the later case (or perhaps both cases): the town isn't always there--it appears at dusk and disappears at dawn. Maybe it was close to dawn when your victim stumbles in and when the place returns to whence it came he (or she) ends up returning there as well. Except it's now night there and he/she has to survive the entire day before they can escape...

With this one I'd have to go with either the Munster's or the Addams' layouts. Perhaps even the house from Mouse Hunt.
    You're welcome and I hope the ideas help spur your imagination.

SK