Search Unity

Storing scenes outside the Assets folder

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by jedy, Sep 20, 2015.

1. jedy

jedy

Heya, I'm working on a plugin to handle the overall game states ( a big FSM which loads levels basically ).

I'm looking into revmapping scene management - aka loading, switching and browsing scenes both in the Editor and outside of it.

The question: Has anyone else experimented with saving the scenes outsides the Assets folder?

My current experiements:
    -You cannot save the scene using the default dialog if it's not in the Assets folder ( you can use file operations to move it )
    -You can load scenes saved outsides the Assets folder
    -You can add scenes from outside the Assets folder to the build settings and successfully build

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Have you looked into AssetBundles for more flexible scene and asset loading? I'm not sure what you could possibly hope to accomplish by moving anything in or out of the Assets folder that you couldn't do with Assetbundles and late delivery of content.

Kiwasi likes this.
  3. jedy

jedy

I'm not interested in late delivery in content. I'm seeking to improve scene management via optimization, automation and management through a dedicated editor window/panel.

A decent way to get them out of sight is to save them in the project root and not the Assets folder.