Search Unity

store asset seems very odd

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vertigostudios, Oct 18, 2019.

1. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Hi Guys, I'm unsure where to actually post this but here goes anyways.

I recently came across an asset RTS Engine uCNC 2D which has raving reviews but all of the comments have a lot of thumbs down. I was going to make a purchase but thought otherwise.

It doesn't pose a demo which is a negative for me and with all the thumbs down I thought there was something very odd.

Has anyone had any experience with this particular asset ?

2. mgear

mgear

I always get suspicious if reviewers have only reviewed one asset, or only assets by same seller, or only other free assets only.. or using similar pattern in names or same words within reviews : /

Socrates likes this.
  3. Stardog

Stardog

Socrates likes this.
  4. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

thanks for the heads up guys its appreciated.

its a real shame though

5. Ryiah

Ryiah

You know what else says that this asset is questionable? Searching for pirated copies gives zero results. If an asset has value it will have a pirated copy available for download assuming you know where to look.

While searching for more information on the topic asset I came across mention of this one. It has good reviews and it has been pirated. That's as good a recommendation as anything.

https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/templates/packs/rts-engine-79732

OussamaB, Socrates and Lurking-Ninja like this.
  6. Murgilod

Murgilod

In fairness, a lot of less major assets don't have pirated copies.

Full disclosure: I don't pirate assets themselves, but I do rely on piracy sites because Unity still doesn't have support for downloading previous asset versions. I've got a project in its long term support phase that I had to hunt down an old version of an asset for (I found it on github, of all places) because there was a major issue in the version I was currently using that caused a lot of memory issues.

We really, absolutely need the option to download previous asset versions. This would be a great feature to add to the package manager in 2013.

joshcamas, Martin_H and Joe-Censored like this.
  7. vertigostudios

vertigostudios

Thanks for the heads up, this does look very interesting :)

8. Socrates

Socrates

"If the pirates won't bother with it, it is not worth buying." This has to be the most fantastic review system I have ever heard of. Not only did you give me a smile I needed, but I've realized this really is a great additional tool to add to my toolbox when I am deciding what to buy. Thank you.

Martin_H likes this.
  9. MadeFromPolygons

MadeFromPolygons

I thought I was the only one that did this! I agree, its ridiculous that this has to be done to get hold of older versions.

10. Murgilod

Murgilod

Yeah, I'm not exactly a fan of having to go to ▒░░▓▓▒▒▒░.com, wondering if this is the time I finally end up with some garbage keylogger or whatever.

MadeFromPolygons likes this.
  11. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Really fubar they don't let you download old versions. If you use git you atleast can go back and revert to old versions that you have used in the project.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

In my case, it was a regression that happened after I bought the asset. It was also a bit too complicated (it was a now deprecated CSG tool that was actually optimized for real time) to implement on my own without spending far more time than would be worth even a $150 asset.

13. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

Yeah, they should really have a mechanic for downloading any version. Its fubar.
    Personally I never think about money when dealing with assets. Its always cheaper buying something. I more tend to look at the risk involved.

Create a dependency on a well known, well documented and well maintained asset probably has a very low risk.

Martin_H and MadeFromPolygons like this.
  14. Murgilod

Murgilod

For me it's less a risk thing and more a "is this a productive use of my time as a learning experience thing" and I figured "I only have one project that's going to feasibly use realtime CSG"

15. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Hmm... for someone ignorant of the ways of piracy, how do they know it's not worth pinching in advance of pinching it?