Search Unity

Stopping execution of while loops when disabling a script

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by theinfomercial, Dec 10, 2011.

1. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

When I try to disable one of my scripts, the while loops in the script are still being executed. Does anyone know how to fully stop a script from running once disabled? Or at least stop while loops?

I thought disabling a script would stop, or at least pause, all executions on a script. Why isn't this the case?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Disabling a script only disables Update and related functions.

Code (csharp):
    1. while (something) {
    2.     // stuff
    3.     if (!enabled) break;
    4. }
    --Eric

3. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Oh, I see.

Edit: Unity should incorporate a script exception called @script ExecuteWhenDisabled. Because that's pretty much how much sense this whole thing makes. When the script is disabled, it should be disabled. No ifs ands or buts.

Now I have to add the if statements to all my while loop commands that have their scripts disabled.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  4. Tseng

Tseng

There is no such thing as enable or "disable script" in C#. The enable property is part of the Behaviour (or MonoBehaviour) class and does what Eric said: It tells the engine whether or not to call the Update/FixedUpdate functions on every update or physic update or not.

If you have a loop, it's your task to make sure it stops!

5. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Oh, it derives from monobehaviour. I was under the impression it was an engine function. Oops.

Still, though, it would be nice if there was a script preference that could make it so that you would have your loops stop when you disable the script. I would have figured that most people wouldn't want their loops to continue if their scripts containing them were disabled.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Actually I depend on loops continuing in disabled scripts, though I'm probably not most people. ;)

--Eric