Search Unity

Stop Input Field keyboard from vanishing when you tap something else?

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by Morgan, Oct 5, 2015.

1. Morgan

Morgan

My app relies on an Input Field (I need to full OS-level predictive text, selection, copy/paste, spellchecking, etc.), but it also has a palette of buttons for changing the color of the text (all of it at once, nothing complex).

Unfortunately, apping on a color button (or anything in Unity) makes the keyboard vanish—always has—but in Unity 4.6 I could fix that by making the color buttons immediately trigger...

field.ActivateInputField();​

...which instantly re-activated the field, and the keyboard never so much as flickered. Problem solved.

Until Unity 5. Now, ActivateInputField() no longer fixes the issue:

- The keyboard animates away (partly) and animates back again: it's really annoying because as you try different colors, the keyboard keeps bouncing up and down.

- Except for about 1 time in 6, when it does nothing, and the keyboard is just gone.
    Both of these seem like maybe field.ActivateInputField is just slow now: too slow to hide the animation, and not reliable. (Tested iOS 8 and 9, iPad and iPhone 6 Plus: always worked fine in Unity 4.6, always a problem now.)

It feels really broken to use, and my users will not like this step back.

I'd be happy to try a totally different approach if there is one.

Any suggestions for getting that keyboard to stay put the way it could be in 4.6? (I'd just stick with 4.6, but I need Asian unicode characters, which have a bug in iOS 9. Half my downloads are in Japan!)

Thanks in advance!