Search Unity

Stop $0 jobs from appearing in 'Paid' listings.

Discussion in 'Unity Connect' started by HolBol, Sep 27, 2017.

1. HolBol

HolBol

There's far too much of this happening on Unity Connect right now. People are posting tasks that they do not intend to pay for using "Negotiable $0 -$0". These results should not be in the paid listings at all. This simply makes it harder to filter through jobs. Maybe enforce a non-zero amount in the paid section?

2. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey HolBol,

Sorry about this issue. We are working on a fix!

3. HolBol

HolBol

Also, I haven't posted a job myself but I've seen some people using this $0-$0 thing and then saying they will pay a single non-hourly sum. Maybe add in an option for fixed amount rather than hourly for these cases too?

Sorry if that's already been done and people are just missing that option.

eatsleepindie likes this.
  4. HolBol

HolBol

In addition, can you please find a way to ensure people aren't posting 'revenue-sharing' projects in the paid section too; there's no promise from these that they're ever going to pay for the work you do. This really needs cleaning up a whole bunch.

Also, it's very irritating that there's no way to ask about a job before you apply. Hopefully there is some way to work around that.

eatsleepindie and nat42 like this.
  5. HolBol

HolBol

Sorry to drag this up again, but it's been two months and STILL despite clicking the 'paid' options, things like "We can't actually pay you yet" or "[UNPAID]" or "Revenue Share" are still appearing. Does Connect have ANY moderation at all when jobs are posted? How can things with "Unpaid" written in the title be showing up in the 'paid' section?

eatsleepindie and andrew-lukasik like this.
  6. markp-unity

markp-unity

Hey Holbol,

The rev-share thing has a designed fix. We're just managing priorities at the moment, but it's coming.

Applying is just the way to make sure that the person who posts the job isn't inundated with messages. If it's a task, you can always try to Connect with them and message them w/o applying.

Sorry Holbol if things arn't getting fixed quick enough, but we are a very small team.

7. HolBol

HolBol

These things just seem so obvious- if it's not paid, it doesn't belong in the paid section. The old two forum method seemed to handle this without much crossover.

hippocoder likes this.
  8. kg-unity

kg-unity

Unity Technologies

HolBol, we will try to fix this ASAP.

WhendricSo likes this.
  9. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

This makes absolutely no sense. The person posting the job will just be inundated with applications instead of messages. Whats worse is that an application is both harder for the poster to assess and easier for the applicant to send.

CatsPawGames and HolBol like this.
  10. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I'm just grateful they kept the forums in place while they worked out the kinks of this beta system. :confused: It's not like any of us do this stuff for a living.

HolBol likes this.
  11. HolBol

HolBol

Yeah, the commercial sections were retired way too early- especially considering there isn't even a link to Connect that's featured anywhere other than the little bar at the top of the forums.

MaciejKrzykwa and eatsleepindie like this.
  12. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

I don't understand that decision. I would have gladly started using Connect more and more as they improved on it without them forcing my hand. Betas have a place, but when an alternative system was already being used, their place is not as the one and only option.

CatsPawGames likes this.
  13. HolBol

HolBol

I've got to resurrect this again because this is ridiculous. The sheer amount of 'jobs' that clearly say they do not pay appearing in the 'paid' section is ridiculous.

You shut down three forum boards that served their purpose just fine and have replaced it with an inferior system. If you can't get this one working properly, don't shut down the old one. It's been months since we had to switch to it and these problems have been there since it started.

Cleanly split the job postings into distinct sections. I want to be able to browse PAID work. I want to be able to advertise myself like we could before on the forum. I want all that 'volunteer' and 'revenue share' OUT and in its own section, like it was BEFORE.

You've taken a usable system and given us a faux social network instead.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I agree, and support the notion of bringing back collab forums. IMHO they should always stay as part of the forums, but connect needs to be luring users to it, not forcing users to hate it by making it the only option.

So it's perfectly fine IMHO to have both. As connect matures, people will gravitate to it if it deserves that. If it doesn't lure users naturally, it simply isn't good enough. Obviously.

15. eatsleepindie

eatsleepindie

Couldn't agree with you more, these two points especially. It feels like everything that was learned via experience over the many years of the forums being available were completely disregarded when forming Connect.

MaciejKrzykwa and HolBol like this.
  16. MaciejKrzykwa

MaciejKrzykwa

We hear it for 3 months now. Please just read carefully what experienced freelancers say and just do it. If you guys are not in charge, please show it to someone who is.

Please also notice that despite of a critical situation for us we all are not "hatin'", we are not rude. We just state our points. We want to build Connect with you but currently it is not usable for us and we want commercial forums back so we can make a living out of them again.

HolBol and eatsleepindie like this.