Search Unity

Stripping unused Universal render pipeline shaders and textures on iOS build

Discussion in 'Universal Render Pipeline' started by lostminds, Dec 3, 2019.

1. lostminds

lostminds

I'm building an iOS app using the Universal Render Pipeline and I'm trying to get the file size as small as possible. When taking a look at the build report I noticed that Universal Render Pipeline seems to include a bunch of resources I don't use in my project, but that are still included in the build package.

Primarily it's a big UberPost shader 1.7 mb, Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/PostProcessing/UberPost.shader
    Along with a bunch of 256k textures in Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/

These all seem to be related to post processing, that I don't use. Is there any way make sure these unused (?) resources aren't included in the build?

While it's not such a problem for the file size I also notice that a lot of resources are included from Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.core/Runtime/Debugging/ (various UI widgets, prefabs and images) even though this isn't supposed to be a debugging build. Shouldn't these be stripped as well when you're building for release on iOS?

awsapps, funkyCoty, itskarlos and 5 others like this.
  2. lostminds

lostminds

I should add that this is in 2019.3.0f1 with the latest render pipeline package

3. FardinHaque

FardinHaque

Facing the same issue. My UberPost.shader size is 4.6mb even though i am not using any post processing. Is there any way to exclude this shader from the build?

radiantboy and itskarlos like this.
  4. lostminds

lostminds

Still the same in 2019.3.0f3 for me, though I just get a 1.7MB UberPost.shader. For some reason they closed the bug I reported on this back in October 2019, but it doesn't seem to have been fixed so I've contacted them and asked for the bug to be re-opened.

5. Brady

Brady

I'm still on 7.1.7 due to some incompatibility with some other assets I'm using, but my Android builds take FOREVER because it spends a ton of time compiling the Standard shader and other shaders meant for the built-in pipeline which I'm not even using anymore. Do I take it that 7.1.8 is supposed to solve this?

6. lostminds

lostminds

I haven't seen anything about URP v7.1.8 solving this anywhere (I'm not sure Unity even considers this a bug any more), and as far as I can tell the problem is still the same on 2019.3.0f6 and URP v 7.1.8

7. Brady

Brady

According to the docs here:
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/c...es.universal@7.1/manual/shader-stripping.html

It should at least perform some kind of stripping according to the settings in the URP asset. I would think, at minimum, built-in shaders for the built-in pipeline should fall under that stripping, given that they can't even work with the URP. Yet my builds spend TONS of time compiling all the built-in pipeline shaders.

chrismarch likes this.
  8. kaarloew

kaarloew

Same here.

Shader is:
    4.6 mb 1.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/PostProcessing/UberPost.shader

Textures are:
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Thin02.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Thin01.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium06.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium05.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium04.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium03.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium02.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Medium01.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Large02.png
    256.1 kb 0.1% Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Textures/FilmGrain/Large01.png

awsapps likes this.
  9. kaarloew

kaarloew

Small workaround for UberPost.shader, create new file called StripShaders.cs to Assets/Editor folder and copy paste following code to it
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.Collections.Generic;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEditor.Build;
    4. using UnityEditor.Rendering;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    6. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    8. // Simple example of stripping of a debug build configuration
    9. class ShaderDebugBuildProcessor : IPreprocessShaders
    10. {
    11.     public ShaderDebugBuildProcessor()
    12.     {
    14.     }
    16.     // Multiple callback may be implemented.
    17.     // The first one executed is the one where callbackOrder is returning the smallest number.
    18.     public int callbackOrder { get { return 0; } }
    20.     public void OnProcessShader(
    21.         Shader shader, ShaderSnippetData snippet, IList<ShaderCompilerData> shaderCompilerData)
    22.     {
    23.         //UnityEngine.Debug.Log($"Shader {shader.name}");
    24.         if (shader.name.Contains("UberPost"))
    25.         {
    26.             //UnityEngine.Debug.Log($"- Shader cleared");
    27.             shaderCompilerData.Clear();
    28.         }
    29.     }
    30. }
    UberPost.shader will still be included in the build, but its size will be around 0.3 kb

rkvieira, RaL, deus0 and 6 others like this.
  10. Moritz5thPlanet

Moritz5thPlanet

I use a solution based on this hacky github repo:
    https://github.com/SixWays/UnityShaderStripper/wiki

I use the Whitelist feature of the ShaderStripperVariantCollection. Works like a charm (after realizing tha there are TWO activation checkboxes, one in the stripper and one in each settings asset). You need to add some excludes manually, such as "Sprites/Diffuse" if you want a splash screen that's not pink.

It has cut down build times by over 20 minutes.

11. kaarloew

kaarloew

Another strip script, this time for textures in FilmGrain folder. So create script file called RemoveURPTextures.cs to Assets/Editor folder and copy paste following code to it
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using System.IO;
    2. using UnityEditor;
    3. using UnityEditor.Build;
    4. using UnityEditor.Build.Reporting;
    5. using UnityEngine;
    7. public class RemoveURPTextures : IPreprocessBuildWithReport
    8. {
    9.     public int callbackOrder { get { return 0; } }
    10.     public void OnPreprocessBuild(BuildReport report)
    11.     {
    12.         Debug.Log("MyCustomBuildProcessor.OnPreprocessBuild for target " + report.summary.platform + " at path " + report.summary.outputPath);
    14.         string packagesPath = Application.dataPath.Replace("/Assets", "") + "/Library/PackageCache";
    15.         Debug.Log($"packagesPath: {packagesPath}");
    16.         string[] directories = Directory.GetDirectories(packagesPath);
    18.         foreach (string directory in directories)
    19.         {
    20.             Debug.Log($"directory: {directory}");
    21.             if (directory.Contains("com.unity.render-pipelines.universal"))
    22.             {
    23.                 Debug.Log($"Modifying entries in: {directory}");
    24.                 string texturesPath = Path.Combine(directory, "Textures/FilmGrain");
    25.                 string[] files = Directory.GetFiles(texturesPath, "*.meta");
    26.                 foreach (string filename in files)
    27.                 {
    28.                     Debug.Log($"Modifying entry: {filename}");
    29.                     string[] lines = File.ReadAllLines(filename);
    31.                     for (int i = 0; i < lines.Length; i++)
    32.                     {
    33.                         lines[i] = lines[i].Replace("maxTextureSize: 2048", "maxTextureSize: 32");
    34.                     }
    36.                     File.WriteAllLines(filename, lines);
    37.                 }
    38.             }
    39.         }
    40.         //throw new BuildFailedException("aa");
    41.     }
    42. }
    Filmgrain textures will still be in package, but their sizes will be 1.1 kb. This script reduces APK size with 1.2 MB in our project.

EDIT:
    This script does NOT work with Unity 2020 or newer.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2021
    rkvieira, RaL, chrismarch and 5 others like this.
  12. grapefrukt

grapefrukt

I had this same issue and decided to take the time to combine both these techniques into one script:
    https://gist.github.com/grapefrukt/c6b90a9d427d6176f58f8b981ebc4779

This strips any shader that has "Universal Render Pipeline" in the name, which surprisingly does not seem to break anything, at least for me.
    It also sets any textures originating from that folder to 32x32 (which also catches the SMAA/AreaTex.tga, that isn't caught by the earlier code posted here). It should be possible to set the files as hidden to keep them out altogether, but I'm not sure if that would make it more annoying to undo if you change your mind. Either way, this is good enough for my purposes.

For me this saves 3.5mb, which isn't a ton, but seeing as it shouldn't even have been in there to begin with I think it's pretty good.

13. lostminds

lostminds

Great, seems to work for me too, removes about 3MB of resources and really speeds up build time, thanks!

14. Alexaroth

Alexaroth

Any dev answers to this? Still happening in latest

15. phil_lira

phil_lira

Unity Technologies

We are working on the ability to strip post-processing shaders/assets.

16. Vaultboy_444

Vaultboy_444

Thank you!
    It works well.

17. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Any chance we could get an enhancement that would let us strip MOST of the shaders, but not all? We're using a couple of them, but would love to strip out the others.

18. xaldin-76

xaldin-76

Use something like this in the "OnProcessShader" method

upload_2020-6-20_0-14-41.png

where "Blabla" is something unique in the shader name you are using, you could just use shader.name.equals("shader exact name")

deus0 likes this.
  19. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

We'll try it!

xaldin-76 likes this.
  20. Alexaroth

Alexaroth

OnPreprocessBuild fix no longer works, seems the meta files for those textures get overwritten before they can be read and used in generating the resources

PS: On Unity 2020 beta version

21. Alexaroth

Alexaroth

Found out why, now unity doesn't allow you do modify those at all, and immediately repairs the changed files:

"The package cache was invalidated and rebuilt because the following immutable asset(s) were unexpectedly altered"

22. Brady

Brady

Maybe I'm missing something, but why are you modifying assets?

23. Alexaroth

Alexaroth

Because for android, the APK I build contains about 4-5 mb of stuff it doesn't need, like post process shader or those assets that I never even reference. Might not be much for a desktop title but 5mb for an app is a lot

deus0 likes this.
  24. Brady

Brady

That doesn't require modifying assets in any way. You just need to use the shader stripping API to tell it not to include them. Use something like the tool mentioned in this post above to do that.

25. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Hmmm . . . a nice shader stripping tool would be nice. In the tool recommended above I note the developer's warning:

I haven't heard of anything better though and would love to hear of a tool that folks have battle-tested.

Tetsuya_OYA likes this.
  26. Brady

Brady

I actually made a custom stripper extension for that tool that works much better at not stripping stuff you don't want. Instead of white-listing, it just lets you blacklist things you definitely know you want to strip. I'll see if I can easily post it here.

27. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

That would be stellar!!

28. Brady

Brady

@bigbrainz add this class to the UnityShaderStripper folder and then you should be able to go to Assets -> Create -> Sigtrap -> Shader Stripper Blacklist Except. That'll create the asset that lets you specify exceptions to your blacklist. You'll also want to create a Shader Stripper Simple asset, which lets you specify things to blacklist. Then go to Tools -> Sigtrap -> Shader Stripper. You may then need to click "Refresh Settings" in the window that comes up. And you should then see the newly created blacklist listed there. Then you just fill in criteria for the blacklist, then add shader variant collections to the "Blacklisted Collections" list (which I apologize is misnamed, it should be something like "Blacklist exception collections"). This makes sure that the stuff you don't want doesn't also wind up catching stuff you DO want. But be conservative with what you decide to blacklist. I hope that helps. Let me know if it doesn't compile for you. It may need a handful of modifications I made to the core tool as well, but I'm not sure.

Code (csharp):
    2. #if UNITY_2018_2_OR_NEWER
    3. using System.Collections;
    4. using System.Collections.Generic;
    5. using System.Collections.ObjectModel;
    6. using UnityEngine;
    7. using UnityEngine.Rendering;
    8. using System.Text;
    9. using System.Linq;
    10. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    11. using UnityEditor;
    12. using UnityEditor.Rendering;
    13. #endif
    15. namespace Sigtrap.Editors.ShaderStripper
    16. {
    17.     /// <summary>
    18.     /// Strips ALL shaders and variants except those in the supplied ShaderVariantCollection assets.
    19.     /// Does not strip built-in shaders.
    20.     /// </summary>
    21.     [CreateAssetMenu(menuName = "Sigtrap/Shader Stripper Blacklist Except")]
    22.     public class ShaderStripper_BlacklistExcept : ShaderStripperBase, ISerializationCallbackReceiver
    23.     {
    24.         [SerializeField]
    25.         [Tooltip("Set a path like Assets/.../<name> (no extension) to merge whitelisted collections into a new collection asset.\nPath to a whitelisted collection (to overwrite) IS allowed.")]
    26.         string _mergeToFile = null;
    27.         [SerializeField]
    28.         [Tooltip("The shaders in these collections will be stripped except for the specific variants listed in the collections.")]
    29.         List<ShaderVariantCollection> _blacklistedCollections;
    30.         [SerializeField]
    31.         [HideInInspector]
    32.         List<string> _collectionPaths;
    33.         [SerializeField]
    34.         [Tooltip("Strip Hidden shaders. Be careful - shaders in Resources might get stripped.\nHidden shaders in collections will always have their variants stripped.")]
    35.         bool _stripHidden = false;
    36.         [SerializeField]
    37.         [Tooltip("Allow VR versions of variants in collection even when VR keywords not in collection.")]
    38.         bool _allowVrVariants;
    39.         [SerializeField]
    40.         [Tooltip("Allow GPU instanced versions of variants in collection even when instancing keywords not in collection.")]
    41.         bool _allowInstancedVariants;
    43.         bool _valid = false;
    44.         bool _dirty = false;
    46.         #region Serialization
    47.         // Automagically pick up new collections which have overwritten existing ones
    48.         public void OnAfterDeserialize()
    49.         {
    50.             _dirty = true;
    51.         }
    52.         public void OnBeforeSerialize()
    53.         {
    54.             _dirty = true;
    55.         }
    56.         #endregion
    58. #if UNITY_EDITOR
    59.         static readonly string[] VR_KEYWORDS = new string[]{
    60.             "UNITY_SINGLE_PASS_STEREO", "STEREO_INSTANCING_ON", "STEREO_MULTIVIEW_ON"
    61.         };
    62.         static readonly string[] INSTANCING_KEYWORDS = new string[]{
    63.             "INSTANCING_ON"
    64.         };
    65.         static List<string> _tempExcludes = new List<string>();
    66.         Dictionary<Shader, Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>>> _variantsByShader = new Dictionary<Shader, Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>>>();
    68.         void ReplaceOverwrittenCollections()
    69.         {
    70.             if (_collectionPaths != null)
    71.             {
    72.                 for (int i = 0; i < _blacklistedCollections.Count; ++i)
    73.                 {
    74.                     if (_blacklistedCollections[i] == null)
    75.                     {
    76.                         _blacklistedCollections[i] = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<ShaderVariantCollection>(_collectionPaths[i]);
    77.                     }
    78.                 }
    79.             }
    80.             else
    81.             {
    82.                 _collectionPaths = new List<string>();
    83.             }
    84.             _collectionPaths.Clear();
    85.             foreach (var c in _blacklistedCollections)
    86.             {
    87.                 if (c != null)
    88.                 {
    89.                     _collectionPaths.Add(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(c));
    90.                 }
    91.             }
    92.         }
    94.         #region Parse YAML - thanks Unity for not having a simple ShaderVariantCollection.GetVariants or something
    95.         static List<string> _tempCompareShaderVariants = new List<string>();
    96.         bool ShaderVariantsEqual(ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant a, ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant b)
    97.         {
    98.             if (a.shader != b.shader || a.passType != b.passType) return false;
    99.             if ((a.keywords == null) != (b.keywords == null)) return false;
    100.             if (a.keywords == null && b.keywords == null) return true;
    101.             if (a.keywords.Length != b.keywords.Length) return false;
    102.             _tempCompareShaderVariants.Clear();
    103.             _tempCompareShaderVariants.AddRange(a.keywords);
    104.             for (int i = 0; i < b.keywords.Length; ++i)
    105.             {
    106.                 if (!_tempCompareShaderVariants.Contains(b.keywords[i]))
    107.                 {
    108.                     return false;
    109.                 }
    110.             }
    111.             return true;
    112.         }
    113.         public override void Initialize()
    114.         {
    115.             ReplaceOverwrittenCollections();
    117.             _tempExcludes.Clear();
    118.             if (_allowVrVariants)
    119.             {
    120.                 _tempExcludes.AddRange(VR_KEYWORDS);
    121.             }
    122.             if (_allowInstancedVariants)
    123.             {
    124.                 _tempExcludes.AddRange(INSTANCING_KEYWORDS);
    125.             }
    127.             foreach (var c in _blacklistedCollections)
    128.             {
    129.                 // Load asset YAML
    130.                 var file = new List<string>(System.IO.File.ReadAllLines(
    131.                     (Application.dataPath + AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(c)).Replace("AssetsAssets", "Assets")
    132.                 ));
    134.                 #region Pre-process to get rid of mid-list line breaks
    135.                 var yaml = new List<string>();
    137.                 // Find shaders list
    138.                 int i = 0;
    139.                 for (; i < file.Count; ++i)
    140.                 {
    141.                     if (YamlLineHasKey(file[i], "m_Shaders")) break;
    142.                 }
    144.                 // Process and fill
    145.                 int indent = 0;
    146.                 for (; i < file.Count; ++i)
    147.                 {
    148.                     string f = file[i];
    149.                     int myIndent = GetYamlIndent(f);
    150.                     if (myIndent > indent)
    151.                     {
    152.                         // If no "<key>: ", continuation of previous line
    153.                         if (!f.EndsWith(":") && !f.Contains(": "))
    154.                         {
    155.                             yaml[yaml.Count - 1] += " " + f.Trim();
    156.                             continue;
    157.                         }
    158.                     }
    160.                     yaml.Add(f);
    161.                     indent = myIndent;
    162.                 }
    163.                 #endregion
    165.                 #region Iterate over shaders
    166.                 for (i = 0; i < yaml.Count; ++i)
    167.                 {
    168.                     string y = yaml[i];
    169.                     if (yaml[i].Contains("first:"))
    170.                     {
    171.                         string guid = GetValueFromYaml(y, "guid");
    172.                         Shader s = AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<Shader>(AssetDatabase.GUIDToAssetPath(guid));
    174.                         // Move to variants contents (skip current line, "second:" and "variants:")
    175.                         i += 3;
    177.                         if (i >= yaml.Count)
    178.                             break;
    180.                         indent = GetYamlIndent(yaml[i]);
    181.                         var sv = new ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant();
    182.                         for (; i < yaml.Count; ++i)
    183.                         {
    184.                             y = yaml[i];
    186.                             // If indent changes, variants have ended
    187.                             if (GetYamlIndent(y) != indent)
    188.                             {
    189.                                 // Outer loop will increment, so counteract
    190.                                 i -= 1;
    191.                                 break;
    192.                             }
    194.                             if (IsYamlLineNewEntry(y))
    195.                             {
    196.                                 // First entry will be a new entry but no variant info present yet, so skip
    197.                                 // Builtin shaders will also be null
    198.                                 if (sv.shader != null)
    199.                                 {
    200.                                     Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>> variantsByPass = null;
    201.                                     if (!_variantsByShader.TryGetValue(sv.shader, out variantsByPass))
    202.                                     {
    203.                                         variantsByPass = new Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>>();
    204.                                         _variantsByShader.Add(sv.shader, variantsByPass);
    205.                                     }
    206.                                     List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant> variants = null;
    207.                                     if (!variantsByPass.TryGetValue(sv.passType, out variants))
    208.                                     {
    209.                                         variants = new List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>();
    210.                                         variantsByPass.Add(sv.passType, variants);
    211.                                     }
    212.                                     bool dupe = false;
    213.                                     foreach (var existing in variants)
    214.                                     {
    215.                                         if (ShaderVariantsEqual(existing, sv))
    216.                                         {
    217.                                             dupe = true;
    218.                                             break;
    219.                                         }
    220.                                     }
    221.                                     if (!dupe)
    222.                                     {
    223.                                         variants.Add(sv);
    224.                                     }
    225.                                 }
    226.                                 sv = new ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant();
    227.                                 sv.shader = s;
    228.                             }
    230.                             // Get contents
    231.                             if (YamlLineHasKey(y, "passType"))
    232.                             {
    233.                                 sv.passType = (PassType)int.Parse(GetValueFromYaml(y, "passType"));
    234.                             }
    235.                             if (YamlLineHasKey(y, "keywords"))
    236.                             {
    237.                                 sv.keywords = GetValuesFromYaml(y, "keywords", _tempExcludes);
    238.                             }
    239.                         }
    240.                         // Get final variant
    241.                         if (sv.shader != null)
    242.                         {
    243.                             Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>> variantsByPass = null;
    244.                             if (!_variantsByShader.TryGetValue(sv.shader, out variantsByPass))
    245.                             {
    246.                                 variantsByPass = new Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>>();
    247.                                 _variantsByShader.Add(sv.shader, variantsByPass);
    248.                             }
    249.                             List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant> variants = null;
    250.                             if (!variantsByPass.TryGetValue(sv.passType, out variants))
    251.                             {
    252.                                 variants = new List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>();
    253.                                 variantsByPass.Add(sv.passType, variants);
    254.                             }
    255.                             bool dupe = false;
    256.                             foreach (var existing in variants)
    257.                             {
    258.                                 if (ShaderVariantsEqual(existing, sv))
    259.                                 {
    260.                                     dupe = true;
    261.                                     break;
    262.                                 }
    263.                             }
    264.                             if (!dupe)
    265.                             {
    266.                                 variants.Add(sv);
    267.                             }
    268.                         }
    269.                     }
    270.                 }
    271.                 #endregion
    273.                 LogMessage(this, "Parsing ShaderVariantCollection " + c.name);
    274.                 // Loop over shaders
    275.                 foreach (var s in _variantsByShader)
    276.                 {
    277.                     string log = "Shader: " + s.Key.name;
    278.                     // Loop over passes
    279.                     foreach (var p in s.Value)
    280.                     {
    281.                         log += string.Format("\n   Pass: ({1:00}){0}", p.Key, (int)p.Key);
    282.                         // Loop over variants
    283.                         for (int v = 0; v < p.Value.Count; ++v)
    284.                         {
    285.                             log += string.Format("\n      Variant [{0}]:\t", v);
    286.                             // Loop over keywords
    287.                             var ks = p.Value[v].keywords;
    288.                             if (ks != null && ks.Length != 0)
    289.                             {
    290.                                 bool first = true;
    291.                                 foreach (var k in ks)
    292.                                 {
    293.                                     if (!first) log += ", ";
    294.                                     log += k;
    295.                                     first = false;
    296.                                 }
    297.                             }
    298.                             else
    299.                             {
    300.                                 log += "<no keywords>";
    301.                             }
    302.                         }
    303.                     }
    304.                     LogMessage(this, log);
    305.                 }
    306.             }
    308.             // Merge collections
    309.             if (!string.IsNullOrEmpty(_mergeToFile) && _blacklistedCollections.Count > 1)
    310.             {
    311.                 var svc = new ShaderVariantCollection();
    312.                 foreach (var a in _variantsByShader)
    313.                 {
    314.                     foreach (var b in a.Value)
    315.                     {
    316.                         foreach (var s in b.Value)
    317.                         {
    318.                             svc.Add(s);
    319.                         }
    320.                     }
    321.                 }
    322.                 try
    323.                 {
    324.                     string file = _mergeToFile + ".shadervariants";
    325.                     string log = string.Format("Merged following ShaderVariantCollections into {0}:\n", file);
    326.                     foreach (var s in _blacklistedCollections)
    327.                     {
    328.                         log += "    " + s.name + "\n";
    329.                     }
    331.                     if (AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<ShaderVariantCollection>(file) != null)
    332.                     {
    333.                         AssetDatabase.DeleteAsset(file);
    334.                     }
    335.                     AssetDatabase.SaveAssets();
    336.                     AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    337.                     AssetDatabase.CreateAsset(svc, file);
    338.                     AssetDatabase.SaveAssets();
    339.                     AssetDatabase.Refresh();
    341.                     Debug.Log(log, AssetDatabase.LoadAssetAtPath<ShaderVariantCollection>(file));
    342.                 }
    343.                 catch (System.Exception ex)
    344.                 {
    345.                     Debug.LogError("Error merging ShaderVariantCollections. Exception follows.");
    346.                     throw;
    347.                 }
    348.             }
    350.             _valid = (_variantsByShader != null && _variantsByShader.Count > 0);
    351.         }
    352.         int GetYamlIndent(string line)
    353.         {
    354.             for (int i = 0; i < line.Length; ++i)
    355.             {
    356.                 if (line[i] != ' ' && line[i] != '-') return i;
    357.             }
    358.             return 0;
    359.         }
    360.         bool IsYamlLineNewEntry(string line)
    361.         {
    362.             foreach (var c in line)
    363.             {
    364.                 // If a dash (before a not-space appears) this is a new entry
    365.                 if (c == '-') return true;
    366.                 // If not a dash, must be a space or indent has ended
    367.                 if (c != ' ') return false;
    368.             }
    369.             return false;
    370.         }
    371.         int GetIndexOfYamlValue(string line, string key)
    372.         {
    373.             int i = line.IndexOf(key + ":", System.StringComparison.Ordinal);
    374.             if (i >= 0)
    375.             {
    376.                 // Skip to value
    377.                 i += key.Length + 2;
    378.             }
    379.             return i;
    380.         }
    381.         bool YamlLineHasKey(string line, string key)
    382.         {
    383.             return GetIndexOfYamlValue(line, key) >= 0;
    384.         }
    385.         string GetValueFromYaml(string line, string key)
    386.         {
    387.             int i = GetIndexOfYamlValue(line, key);
    388.             if (i < 0)
    389.             {
    390.                 return "";
    391.                 //throw new System.Exception((string.Format("Value not found for key {0} in YAML line {1}", key, line)));
    392.             }
    393.             StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
    394.             for (; i < line.Length; ++i)
    395.             {
    396.                 char c = line[i];
    397.                 if (c == ',' || c == ' ') break;
    398.                 sb.Append(c);
    399.             }
    400.             return sb.ToString();
    401.         }
    402.         string[] GetValuesFromYaml(string line, string key, List<string> exclude = null)
    403.         {
    404.             int i = GetIndexOfYamlValue(line, key);
    405.             if (i < 0)
    406.             {
    407.                 throw new System.Exception((string.Format("Value not found for key {0} in YAML line {1}", key, line)));
    408.             }
    409.             List<string> result = new List<string>();
    410.             StringBuilder sb = new StringBuilder();
    411.             for (; i < line.Length; ++i)
    412.             {
    413.                 char c = line[i];
    414.                 bool end = false;
    415.                 bool brk = false;
    416.                 if (c == ',')
    417.                 {
    418.                     // Comma delimits keys
    419.                     // Add the current entry and stop parsing
    420.                     end = brk = true;
    421.                 }
    422.                 if (c == ' ')
    423.                 {
    424.                     // Space delimits entries
    425.                     // Add current entry, move to next
    426.                     end = true;
    427.                 }
    428.                 if (end)
    429.                 {
    430.                     result.Add(sb.ToString());
    431.                     sb.Length = 0;
    432.                     if (brk) break;
    433.                 }
    434.                 else
    435.                 {
    436.                     sb.Append(c);
    437.                 }
    438.             }
    439.             // Catch last entry if line ends
    440.             if (sb.Length > 0)
    441.             {
    442.                 var s = sb.ToString();
    443.                 if (exclude == null || exclude.Count == 0 || !exclude.Contains(s))
    444.                 {
    445.                     result.Add(sb.ToString());
    446.                 }
    447.             }
    448.             return result.ToArray();
    449.         }
    450.         #endregion
    452.         static List<string> _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch = new List<string>();
    453.         static List<string> _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatchCached = new List<string>();
    454.         static List<string> _tempCollectedKeywordsSorted = new List<string>();
    455.         protected override bool StripCustom(Shader shader, ShaderSnippetData passData, IList<ShaderCompilerData> variantData)
    456.         {
    457.             // Don't strip anything if no collections present
    458.             if (!_valid) return true;
    459.             // Always ignore built-in shaders
    460.             if (string.IsNullOrEmpty(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(shader))) return true;
    462.             // Try to match shader
    463.             Dictionary<PassType, List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant>> collectedVariantsByPass = null;
    464.             if (_variantsByShader.TryGetValue(shader, out collectedVariantsByPass))
    465.             {
    466.                 // Try to match pass
    467.                 List<ShaderVariantCollection.ShaderVariant> collectedPassVariants = null;
    468.                 if (collectedVariantsByPass.TryGetValue(passData.passType, out collectedPassVariants))
    469.                 {
    470.                     // Loop over supplied variants
    471.                     // Iterate backwards over supplied variants to allow index-based removal
    472.                     int count = variantData.Count;
    473.                     for (int i = count - 1; i >= 0; --i)
    474.                     {
    476.                         // Fill temp buffer to fill OTHER temp buffer each time SIGH
    477.                         _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatchCached.Clear();
    478.                         var sks = variantData[i].shaderKeywordSet.GetShaderKeywords();
    479.                         foreach (var sk in sks)
    480.                         {
    481.                             string n = GetKeywordName(sk);
    482.                             bool add = true;
    483.                             // Don't look for VR or instanced variants
    484.                             if (_tempExcludes.Count > 0)
    485.                             {
    486.                                 if (_tempExcludes.Contains(n))
    487.                                 {
    488.                                     add = false;
    489.                                 }
    490.                             }
    491.                             if (add)
    492.                             {
    493.                                 _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatchCached.Add(n);
    494.                             }
    495.                         }
    496.                         bool variantMatched = false;
    498.                         // Loop over cached variants
    499.                         foreach (var collectedVariant in collectedPassVariants)
    500.                         {
    502.                             // Must match ALL keywords
    503.                             _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Clear();
    504.                             _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.AddRange(_tempRequestedKeywordsToMatchCached);
    506.                             // Early out (match) if both have no keywords
    507.                             if (_tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Count == 0 && (collectedVariant.keywords == null || collectedVariant.keywords.Length == 0))
    508.                             {
    509.                                 variantMatched = true;
    510.                                 break;
    511.                             }
    513.                             // No match
    514.                             if (collectedVariant.keywords == null)
    515.                                 continue;
    517.                             // Early out (no match) if keyword counts don't match
    518.                             if (_tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Count != collectedVariant.keywords.Length)
    519.                                 continue;
    521.                             // Check all keywords
    522.                             _tempCollectedKeywordsSorted.Clear();
    523.                             if (collectedVariant.keywords != null)
    524.                                 _tempCollectedKeywordsSorted.AddRange(collectedVariant.keywords);
    525.                             _tempCollectedKeywordsSorted.Sort((a, b) => { return string.CompareOrdinal(a, b); });
    526.                             foreach (var k in _tempCollectedKeywordsSorted)
    527.                             {
    528.                                 bool isVROrInstancingKeyword = false;
    530.                                 if (
    531.                                         (
    532.                                             _allowVrVariants
    533.                                             &&
    534.                                             (
    535.                                                 string.Compare(k, VR_KEYWORDS[0]) == 0 ||
    536.                                                 string.Compare(k, VR_KEYWORDS[1]) == 0 ||
    537.                                                 string.Compare(k, VR_KEYWORDS[2]) == 0
    538.                                             )
    539.                                         )
    540.                                         ||
    541.                                         (
    542.                                             _allowInstancedVariants
    543.                                             &&
    544.                                             (
    545.                                                 string.Compare(k, INSTANCING_KEYWORDS[0]) == 0
    546.                                             )
    547.                                         )
    548.                                     )
    549.                                     isVROrInstancingKeyword = true;
    551.                                 bool keywordMatched = _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Remove(k);
    553.                                 if (!keywordMatched && !isVROrInstancingKeyword) break;
    554.                             }
    556.                             // Make sure any desired VR or instanced keywords are removed:
    557.                             if (_allowVrVariants)
    558.                             {
    559.                                 for (int j = 0; j < VR_KEYWORDS.Length; ++j)
    560.                                     _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Remove(VR_KEYWORDS[j]);
    561.                             }
    562.                             if (_allowInstancedVariants)
    563.                             {
    564.                                 for (int j = 0; j < INSTANCING_KEYWORDS.Length; ++j)
    565.                                     _tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Remove(INSTANCING_KEYWORDS[j]);
    566.                             }
    568.                             // If all keywords removed, all keywords matched
    569.                             if (_tempRequestedKeywordsToMatch.Count == 0)
    570.                             {
    571.                                 variantMatched = true;
    572.                                 break;
    573.                             }
    574.                         }
    576.                         // Strip this variant
    577.                         if (!variantMatched)
    578.                         {
    579.                             LogRemoval(this, shader, passData, i, count, variantData[i]);
    580.                             variantData.RemoveAt(i);
    581.                         }
    582.                     }
    583.                 }
    584.                 else
    585.                 {
    586.                     // If not matched pass, this is not blacklisted:
    587.                     return true;
    588.                 }
    589.             }
    590.             else
    591.             {
    592.                 // If not matched shader, this is not blacklisted:
    593.                 return true;
    594.             }
    596.             return true;
    597.         }
    599.         public override string description { get { return "Strips ALL (non-built-in) shaders not in selected ShaderVariantCollection assets."; } }
    600.         public override string help
    601.         {
    602.             get
    603.             {
    604.                 string result = _stripHidden ? "WILL strip Hidden shaders." : "Will NOT strip Hidden shaders.";
    605.                 result += " Will NOT strip built-in shaders. Use other strippers to remove these.";
    606.                 return result;
    607.             }
    608.         }
    610.         protected override bool _checkShader { get { return false; } }
    611.         protected override bool _checkPass { get { return false; } }
    612.         protected override bool _checkVariants { get { return false; } }
    614.         public override void OnGUI()
    615.         {
    616.             if (_dirty)
    617.             {
    618.                 ReplaceOverwrittenCollections();
    619.             }
    620.             _dirty = false;
    621.         }
    622. #endif
    623.     }
    624. }
    625. #endif

Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    andreiagmu likes this.
  29. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

Sweet--we'll check it out. Thank you! (Not sure why I didn't get a notification email about your post, so sorry for the delay).

30. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

OK, setup seems to go pretty well and basic functionality is there. However, it's kicking out a bit of an error. And if I add or drag a Variant Collection it doesn't actually add it.

And just to confirm, the "Blacklisted Collections" should be a Shader Variant Collection that I want to KEEP, right?

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Index was out of range. Must be non-negative and less than the size of the collection.
    Parameter name: index
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException (System.ExceptionArgument argument, System.ExceptionResource resource) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    System.ThrowHelper.ThrowArgumentOutOfRangeException () (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    System.Collections.Generic.List`1[T].get_Item (System.Int32 index) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    Sigtrap.Editors.ShaderStripper.ShaderStripper_BlacklistExcept.ReplaceOverwrittenCollections () (at Assets/3rd Party/ShaderStripper/Sigtrap.cs:76)
    Sigtrap.Editors.ShaderStripper.ShaderStripper_BlacklistExcept.OnGUI () (at Assets/3rd Party/ShaderStripper/Sigtrap.cs:618)
    Sigtrap.Editors.ShaderStripper.ShaderStripperEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/3rd Party/ShaderStripper/Editor/ShaderStripperEditor.cs:173)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Reflection.BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters) (at <fb001e01371b4adca20013e0ac763896>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj) (at <bccb16a88ec4456dbf07978c418f407b>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName) (at <bccb16a88ec4456dbf07978c418f407b>:0)
    UnityEditor.HostView.InvokeOnGUI (UnityEngine.Rect onGUIPosition, UnityEngine.Rect viewRect) (at <bccb16a88ec4456dbf07978c418f407b>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.DrawView (UnityEngine.Rect viewRect, UnityEngine.Rect dockAreaRect) (at <bccb16a88ec4456dbf07978c418f407b>:0)
    UnityEditor.DockArea.OldOnGUI () (at <bccb16a88ec4456dbf07978c418f407b>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.DoOnGUI (UnityEngine.Event evt, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 parentTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Boolean isComputingLayout, UnityEngine.Rect layoutSize, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, UnityEngine.Matrix4x4 worldTransform, UnityEngine.Rect clippingRect, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Action onGUIHandler, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleIMGUIEvent (UnityEngine.Event e, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.SendEventToIMGUI (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, System.Boolean canAffectFocus) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.IMGUIContainer.HandleEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatchUtilities.PropagateEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.MouseEventDispatchingStrategy.DispatchEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ApplyDispatchingStrategies (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, System.Boolean imguiEventIsInitiallyUsed) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.ProcessEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.EventDispatcher.Dispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase evt, UnityEngine.UIElements.IPanel panel, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel.SendEvent (UnityEngine.UIElements.EventBase e, UnityEngine.UIElements.DispatchMode dispatchMode) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.DoDispatch (UnityEngine.UIElements.BaseVisualElementPanel panel) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.UIElements.UIElementsUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr nativeEventPtr) (at <78b213560771414e9fa6f1b95f5ad8bb>:0)
    UnityEngine.GUIUtility.ProcessEvent (System.Int32 instanceID, System.IntPtr

31. bigbrainz

bigbrainz

As for the textures, since the previous fix no longer works, I found them and manually resized them to tiny.

32. Brady

Brady

Yes, it is unfortunately labeled "Blacklist collections" in this particular case, as it is actually the ones you want to exempt from blacklisting. The desired combined effect of the two lists (both the "Simple" and "Except" objects) is to define a set of shaders to blacklist by name, and then have a list of specific shader variants to exempt from this.

There is a good chance that the out-of-bounds error you're experiencing is due to one of the various bugs I discovered in the original Shader Stripper package. I've come across perhaps three different ones over the course of the last six months, and fixed each one as I went, and haven't kept detailed logs of those modifications. But if you DM me, I could send you my entire modified version of Shader Stripper that you can use as-is that should work.

andreiagmu likes this.
  33. chrismarch

chrismarch

andreiagmu likes this.
  34. drallcom3

drallcom3

Is there any way to remove/reduce those Filmgrain textures?
    Modifying them causes Unity to rebuild them. Even setting them to read-only doesn't work.

deus0 and KamilCSPS like this.
  35. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Submitted a bug report to get a quick-fix until the post-processing stripping feature is added to URP:
    https://issuetracker.unity3d.com/is...e-unused-asset-files-that-can-not-be-stripped

You can vote for it to get traction.

andreiagmu and chrismarch like this.
  36. andreiagmu

andreiagmu

37. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

38. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

deus0, chrismarch and andreiagmu like this.
  39. chrismarch

chrismarch

40. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

deus0 and xaldin-76 like this.
  41. deus0

deus0

Has anyone tested the fix yet? :)

Edit: I found a fix that works for me, by setting to strip all shaders, then i manually added the ones in my project to the always include list. Build size went down 80mb (50% of my build. Not sure how to reduce unitys dll? I've only got a few of the inbuilt modules enabled)

Last edited: Jan 22, 2021
    xaldin-76 likes this.
  42. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Tested in 2021.1.0b3. Appears to work, stripped 10-15% of my build size.

chrismarch likes this.
  43. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Honestly. reading this just hurts. we have 2021! this engine shouldn't cause such issues. I feel like working with a kindergarden-tool. As a developer I need full control. It has nothing to do with personal demands or so. It is simply essential to have full control over your build! Especially if you make a living from it. Workarounds don't count for me. I am not here to find out how the engine has to be handled if it has flaws. It should be vice versa! Strong tickets with a lot of petitors should be solution and not by showing the company that we are willing to fight out their mistakes! Unity brought so many flaws. The concept itself also doesn't go through either. Because at the moment you only need to click in a list, somewhere in project for example, and a bar will open with calculations and you have to wait minimum 30 seconds. for what? And it happens all the time. And the project isn't even big on data or else. For only two projects I have twenty different Unity Versions installed, because one version makes more problem than the other. Mobile/VR btw. For example, these are all reasons why still few Oculus Quest titles are available in the store, after minimum two years of its existence!!! There are something about two pages with BIG BIG thumbnails! ;)

I really appreciate, also admire the doggedness and the effort that this community brings in, but it's not without reason that Helgason left!

There is still that rat in the company and this pressures many good people who are working there. If you don't know what happend, try to find some articles. Everything because of one horny motherf.... :/, who doesn't care what happens to Unity and the company!

Sorry for being that 'destructive' :/ However, I can't else anymore. I've been doing this for too long. Lost so much money, projects because of so many issues since unity 2019.x upwards. (From URP flaws, to delta-time problems, and so much more) Unity 2021.x seems to have fixed a lot of these issues, that made the engine on certain platforms not suitable for production! Still have to wait for the 1st 2021.x LTS version, otherwise I can't guarantee flawless production for my clients. Meanwhile, I can go sell flowers or shoes. And not even that because of that great time we were pushed in.

peace...

44. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Feel the pain @SOIL.

I will say that I did notice a push from Unity to improve things and listen more but you have to use the proper channels. Notably, the customer satisfaction team... they do seem to push in the same direction as devs and can skip many hoops.

Cheers.

45. Rensoburro_Taki

Rensoburro_Taki

Thank you for your sympathy, however I don't believe in knocking on the door to ask for a better software. If you got my drift ^^

46. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

I understand that not everyone has that inclination. That said, it can be hard to walk that line and not be 'destructive' like you said. In some case, we have to use Unity because, even with its quirks, it does the job most of the time if you know what you're doing. I personally just decided to bite the bullet and push where I can... and one loud voice well timed can sometimes do wonders.

deus0 likes this.
  47. optimise

optimise

Hi @phil_lira. Any plan to implement proper tool to inspect all the available shaders and able to choose the shader to strip to massively improve build speed and build size.

48. KamilCSPS

KamilCSPS

Not exactly the same but you can always install Unity's "Build Report" package to look at what is being built, what is using it and how big it is. A lot more user friendly than going through the build-report log file.

49. SampsaPlaysome

SampsaPlaysome

TBH that tool is a joke. The asset list renders 1 fps on my Ryzen 5950. If I want to select an asset, I need to click ten times for it to register. Feels like they didn't test it on a real project (surprised are: nobody).

NickLionStudios likes this.
  50. BomBasta

BomBasta

In case someone (like me) is stuck to 2020 for some reason (assets), and stumbles on this thread, here a simple workaround that strips filmgrain textures etc.:

- delete the pngs in the file explorer, not the metas
    - repeat above step every time you reimport / before you build ;) ah, gotta love unity

pngs will get restored in the explorer, but the package manager will not include them until you reimport. this worked for me even with PP on. modifying/downscaling did not work for me.

Cheers

rkvieira likes this.