Search Unity

Question Still unable to activate a personal license, I've tried everything.

Discussion in 'Unity Hub' started by pledgedubstep, Jan 27, 2022.

1. pledgedubstep

pledgedubstep

I consider myself a pretty tech-savvy person. I'm a web developer by profession, so running into an issue like this usually won't cause too many problems for me.

However, I have easily spent 12+ hours just trying to activate a dang personal license in Unity Hub. I have looked at every single forum post, every obscure youtube guide, every little comment about this issue and have not managed to get any closer to solving it.

I continuously get the famous error: "There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection."

I have tried:
    • Restarting my computer
    • Reinstalling unity hub
    • Installing older versions of unity hub
    • Running unity hub as administrator
    • Disabling my firewall
    • Deactivating any unused network adaptors
    • Manual license activation (I get the "Cannot save license" error).
    • Making a new account
    • Giving every Unity related folder in my computer full access
    • Removing the license file (which I never had, so I tried placing one generated by the manual activation there - And then tried removing it as well).
    • Running Unity Hub from different directories
    • Making sure my account settings are correct (personal license is active, etc)
    • Enabling TFA on my account
    • Spinning around 3 times and yelling "Unity, Unity, Unity" with my eyes closed.

Please, I just want to make my game. Any help would be very, very appreciated.

Edit: Found these lines in the log, not sure if they are helpful or not.

Code (JavaScript):
    1. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'activateUlfLicense: Activating a personal ulf license' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:35.957Z"}
    2. {"level":"warn","message":"[ 'A problem occurred while trying to activate ULF license' ]","moduleName":"LicensingSdkService","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:37.899Z"}
    3. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'licenseNew --> initializing' ]","moduleName":"LicenseFSM","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:38.229Z"}
    4. {"level":"warn","message":"[ 'License File is not available.' ]","moduleName":"UnityLicenseCore","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:38.230Z"}
    5. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'License initialized' ]","moduleName":"LicenseClient","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:38.230Z"}
    6. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'initializing --> licenseInvalid' ]","moduleName":"LicenseFSM","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:38.230Z"}
    7. {"level":"info","message":"[ 'License error: 98' ]","moduleName":"LicenseClient","timestamp":"2022-01-27T05:00:38.230Z"}

Last edited: Jan 27, 2022
    Gamba04 likes this.
  2. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Anti-virus software interfering perhaps?

3. pledgedubstep

pledgedubstep

Just gave that a shot but unfortunately it didn't seem to change anything.

4. BoppyGamesLLC

BoppyGamesLLC

I'm having the exact same issue, followed all of the same steps as pledgedubstep (minus the spinning and yelling but not against giving it a try). I have also tried offline activation and it doesn't work either. I have 0 seats assigned and I'm not able to activate my Unity Plus key. Unity really needs to improve the debugging info here, just outputting "There was a problem activating a new personal license. Make sure you are logged in, and have internet connection." and not leaving us much in the logs is typical Unity.

I have also tried doing offline activation and giving my local account full access to C:\ProgramData\Unity and that doesn't work either, somehow Unity cannot create the license file even with full permissions:

upload_2022-2-4_20-24-17.png

I previously fixed this issue by downloading the old Unity hub (2.0) and then activating my Plus key, then upgrading the hub to 3.0. It seems like this is no longer a viable fix now that Unity is forcing everyone to use the 3.0 version.

5. BoppyGamesLLC

BoppyGamesLLC

I was finally able to get this activated. You really need a 2.0 version of the hub.

Steps to fix the issue:
    1. Uninstall any current version of the Unity Hub
    2. Go to this forum post and download a 2.0 version of the Unity hub: https://forum.unity.com/threads/old-version-of-unity-hub.620128/#post-6319092 This is really sketchy as you're not downloading the hub from Unity so keep this in mind.
    3. Install the Unity 2.0 version and activate your license
    4. Download the latest Unity 3.0 from Unity's official website (this will uninstall the 2.0 version as part of the install)

Once you open the 3.0 hub now your license should be activated!

Note: I recommend holding onto a 2.0 version of the UnityHub in case you run into this situation in the future.

JahanzaibCody likes this.
  6. ytx4

ytx4

7. Michelangelos

Michelangelos

I'm desperate trying everything as the OP that enumerated
    I did basically the same steps...and nothing works.

I even contacted support and support told me to report a bug. But To report a bug I should upload my logs and THERE IS NO LOGS!!! hahahha

Really all this is getting like a crazy situation....

This doesn't work the new version simply tells me I have no license at all.
    If I uninstall and I go back to UNITY HUB BETA 2.00 beta4 my FREE PERSONAL LICENSE is listed correctly without issues.
    The problem with this version is that I cannot ADD new projects. Whenever I click ADD ...nothing happens.

I'm getting crazy...please someone can help?

8. Michelangelos

Michelangelos

9. DannySantos

DannySantos

I found a workaround.

Using the link posted by BoppyGamesLLC I downloaded an earlier version of Unity Hub.

From there I was able to open old projects but not create new ones. Just like Michelangelos the ADD button did nothing.

BUT when I opened an old project and went File > New Project I was able to create a new project.

I had to manually enter the Location but other than that all good.

It's insane that this is still such a widespread issue, Unity really need to sort this out.

10. ThatOneFoxyFan33

ThatOneFoxyFan33

I FOUND A WAY THAT WORKED FOR ME. I deleted the Unity Folder From C:\ProgramData and then after a while i restored it and it is not giving anymore errors. For those i helped You're welcome for those i couldn't help i am sorry.

11. MrW82

MrW82

Had similar issue, but the fix for me was easy.
    I got the message that I needed a license but I have had one personal license working for the last two years without any problems. I restarted computer and opened Hub and issue remained. I then noticed there was a pending update for hub at the top. So I simple restarted the hub by the button at the top and when the new version opened my old license was back and activated and everything worked as before.