Search Unity

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I have a friend who'd probably also back it because he's trying to be exclusively linux these days. He's about to lose his interest in programming altogether!

@greggtwep16 Whatever they do I hope it works. I'd be sad to see it go. We need more time for godot to mature before it overtakes unreal and unity by surprise :D

Maybe that's the main reason they're resisting a linux / open source version. Dark skin will be the first modification.

2. Ryiah

Ryiah

Continuing off of @ippdev's statement, it may very well be the only modification. ;)

Devil_Inside and Tomnnn like this.
  3. Zeblote

Zeblote

Well you don't need the source to make this modification...

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Also, there's no reason a Linux version has to be open source.

--Eric

angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

True. This is the gaming industry after all. We're used to poorly done ports. I dedicate that burn to KOEI TECMO.

True. It's not like there's anything stopping us from doing things that would never be found out and that we should never be specific about. But official support just kinda feels good. And this is the era of feels.

6. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Not sure why you think a Linux port that wasn't open-source would somehow be "poorly done", but hey, let's not let reality get in the way of zealotry. That's no fun, after all.

--Eric

angrypenguin, zombiegorilla and Ryiah like this.
  7. Ryiah

Ryiah

Modifying the application to bypass limitations is simply another form of piracy.

8. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Sounds like moderator sanction thread derailing :eek:

Charging $1500 to do what most text editors will do for free has possibly driven people to such lengths? Inconceivable!

9. Ryiah

Ryiah

You're free to build your game in a text editor if you prefer. ;)

angrypenguin likes this.
  10. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

I INTEND TO
    yesno.jpg

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would love and use the heck out of a Linux version of the editor!

darkhog likes this.
  12. jcarpenter2

jcarpenter2

Yes! I'm honestly a little bit flabbergasted that no matter how hard I google, I can't find any news of official support for a native Linux editor.

darkhog likes this.
  13. TheSniperFan

TheSniperFan

darkhog, thxfoo, Ryiah and 1 other person like this.
  14. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

Desktop operating system browsing statistics
    Windows 7 - 58.39%
    Windows XP - 15.93%
    Windows 8.1 - 11.16%
    Mac OS X 10.10 - 4.23%
    Windows 8 - 3.50%
    Windows Vista - 1.95%
    Mac OS X (other) - 1.60%
    Mac OS X 10.9 - 1.53%
    Linux - 1.52%
    Windows (other) - 0.19%

---

So obviously Windows support matters first and foremost.
    The Mac crowd manages to be relevant because a lot of design-oriented people, artists and industry people use Macs.

Why would Linux matter as a desktop operating system? For that matter, which Linux? What is Linux at this point? How does one plan to develop for an operating system that may or may not even exist outside of the hopes and aspirations of bedroom coders worldwide? For goodness sake, more people use Windows Vista than Linux. It's just a step above people who are still running XP.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  15. Dantus

Dantus

I never really saw a lot of value in this thread, especially because it was not really an objective discussion. However, right now it degenerated into something that is completely worthless and not worth this forum.

16. thxfoo

thxfoo

If you look at programming oriented websites you get a different picture. And the more "hardcore" the less of the devs are on Windows. I know many C++ library projects that have problems finding a maintainer for their Windows port, because most of their serious users work on Linux and some on Mac.

E.g. at the moment I work with multiple AI and neural net libraries, in that area most of the cool stuff is just not available for Windows. Because the people that create this stuff don't use Windows and don't want to port it themselves.

Ryiah, TheSniperFan and darkhog like this.
  17. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

And because Unity started out as Mac only. Imagine if they abandoned their roots :confused:

18. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

It's not about the absolute number of platform users. It's about the number of sales it may unlock. Even the total number of all Windows users doesn't mean a lot, because the average Windows user isn't a developer.

Perhaps there's a giant effects house somewhere who'd buy hundreds of licenses tomorrow if only it could run on the same Linux-based systems they're already using? That could be a couple of million in income right there. Or it could help make sales into mixed-platform studios who are more willing to buy stuff that supports all of their platforms (ie: it's quite possible that Linux support could indirectly help make more sales for Windows/Mac as well).

19. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I think you may very well be the Linux penguin. And you're angry because you want to use Unity on Linux.

20. HemiMG

HemiMG

If UT is supporting Linux then they are doing it for a reason. It's odd that you accuse someone else of bias whilst claiming that your untargeted aggregate data provides a clearer picture than UTs market research.

21. Tomza

Tomza

I have not been on the Unity 3D forum for a long time. I'm working with other game engine now. However, Unity 3D is still important to me and I follow all interesting news. And I have always a new version installed on my laptop.

I was amazed that there are some gossips that Unity Technologies think of the Editor for Linux. I'm not sure if it's true, but let's say UT are taking this possibility to their consideration seriously.

I know that some people say that there isn't even 2% of Linux desktop users, but in reality I am sure that there are more people using penguins. It comes from my relatively long experience in IT. It's hard to get a true and independent statistics. Microsoft is everywhere so I would not be surprised if such stats in the Internet were done special for this corporations. And then people copy such an info and use everywhere.

But you can look at the Microsoft's actions. .Net Open Source, free Windows 10 (not for all, but for many), etc. It's a sign that's something happening. happening well for us, software users. The same with hardware that will be closed for installing other OSs. In spite of the official stats, Microsoft started to feel the competitors. Very good!

UT made a good decision. It has been a strong pressure on them. They couldn't ignore the whole stuff on blogs, forums, petitions, etc. However, it's not only our, Linux users, whim - IT'S MONEY FOR UT! There are thousands Unity users under this "worthless" 2%. Just count the people that demand the Linux Editor. It's a huge army.

Linux isn't so popular because it's a bad OS. Linux isn't popular because most big companies don't want to make software for it. Obviously they won't make for 2%. Period.

However, such an initiatives like porting Unity to Linux can make the situation better. We do exist, Linux users.

If it's really a true info, I appreciate this UT decision. We have been waiting for a long time for that. I know it wasn't easy to made. I'm sure UT won't lose due to making such software.

Keep it up!

22. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Haha, go back a few pages in this very thread and you'll get a different idea. I'm personally pretty neutral about the whole thing.

Master-Frog likes this.
  23. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

(Let's keep this thread on the future possibility of a Linux editor. Please don't slag each other off. Wouldn't want to lock this thread down because it's getting hostile.)

TheSniperFan likes this.
  24. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

http://natoshabard.com/post/122670082502/porting-the-unity-editor-to-linux-stuff-i-wish

It's not gossip. https://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

--Eric

larku likes this.
  25. Tomza

Tomza

I can only say: I AM HAPPY!

The forum fights between Linux followers and Windows followers have always been violent. It seems that nothing will change that. Your locking the thread down won't change anything. Some hostile posts/comments can be moderated nonetheless. The most important thing is to give a choice for people. A stable Editor for Windows, Mac and Linux. In this case, all will be glad and there won't be such a brutal discussion anymore. That's all.

So we are impatiently waiting for the promised Unity Editor for Linux.

As for me, it's true that I'm using UE4 now, but my project is so huge and complex that I am going to use Unity 3D too for some functionalities. I made a Demo with Unity 3D (2.7 GB) and I am glad. Unity 3D 5.x started to be a really professional tool. 64-bit Editor was a very important step; now should be the Editor for Linux and in the future support for C++.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  26. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Haha that sounds like an echo from the past (albeit in a modern format). "It's probably better to have these feelings in the public eye to be remedied instead of festering in the dark." - my dapper time traveling persona

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Well, let's be clear: if requests to stop fighting are ignored, then as necessary posts will be deleted, topics will be locked, and (as a last resort) bans will be bannified. So yes it will change things, in the sense that people will no longer be fighting here. If you wanna go fight somewhere else, that's fine. Remember, the software is called "Unity", not "Let's Fight!" Although...hmm...that does have a ring to it....

--Eric

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  28. TheDMan

TheDMan

Dont worry, once people find out that the "free" Windows 10 upgrade isnt actually free and that they will be sidelined with a monthly subscription based service that they'll have to pay the year after the "free" upgrade occurs .... those statistical numbers will shift in Linux's favor. By a large portion.

29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Fixed that for you.

ippdev and Devil_Inside like this.
  30. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

larku and Ryiah like this.
  31. Master-Frog

Master-Frog

I would love to see a world where Microsoft matters less, but I think people are afraid to use anything without a Windows logo on it, they fear it might not work... I can't explain why, but a lot of people hear things like "boot" or "drive" and they are like "no, no, no..." and just go buy a PC, or if they live in the state of California... a mac. Me? I can't see using Linux, because I couldn't stand the lack of support.

Then there's the elephant in the room... Microsoft products have to work because they're used in businesses. They respond when their customers are in trouble because they need that cash flow. As long as Microsoft is getting a premium for their products, they'll always provide a better service for more people's user needs.

If Linux wants to compete they would have to start charging.

32. larku

larku

Not that I'd base business decisions on this, but I expect programmers and developer samples would yield vastly different statistics here.

And Unity's target market for the development environment is developers, not the 99% of users browsing the internet.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
    Tomza likes this.
  33. Ryiah

Ryiah

Companies focused around Linux, like Red Hat, do charge money. But their focus is not on selling you an OS but rather selling you services and additional software packages. It is obviously successful too or Unity would not have adopted it.

https://www.redhat.com/wapps/store/catalog.html

Master-Frog likes this.
  34. Tomza

Tomza

Now, Linux desktops are really mature. But if you want to cavil, you will find issues everywhere. I upgraded my Windows 8 to 8.1 a long ago and can't still run Windows Media Player without any problems. Sometimes it works, sometimes not.

Things are changing for better thanks to efforts of many people in the world. For me, big software companies should make software for Linux. That's all. It's good there are more and more wise people who do that. Unity 3D is one of these wise companies. I appreciate UT efforts. Most people will be able to build a base game developing environment on Linux only.

Look at Blender - it's a free professional tool, available for Linux, but many people want still to pay much money for competitors because it's "a industry standard" or something like that. But it is words only. There are some corporations agreements that are against us, the users of software.

The same situation with Linux - if something is free, it doesn't mean it's worse. However, it would be good, Linux communities were able to cooperate and share their experiences. The Linux world is too fragmented. There wouldn't be so mess with Linux packages and other things. Ideally, every package should be installable for every distro.

I agree. For me, the only great thing for developing under Windows was .Net - now it can be ported to Linux. Now, I have all what I need under Linux. I can live without Photoshop :p. Of course, sometimes employers want me to write something for Windows, so I use Windows.

larku likes this.
  35. larku

larku

Likewise - at home I had been 100% Linux for over 15 years, now that I use Unity I also have a Windows box and an OSX box that are used exclusively for Unity. I'd love to consolidate that all back to Linux.

Apple has made it so there's very little chance that I could ever build for OSX or iOS on anything other than OSX, so I accept that box is going to exist for some time yet, but it'd improve my workflow immensely if I could cull the Windows box (and free up some more hardware).

I don't dislike Windows at all (it's a robust workhorse for some use cases), I just find that Linux is a far nicer development environment and I do little other than development.

TLDR; A Unity Linux editor will be awesome for some like me!

36. Tomza

Tomza

Exactly! Hopefully, there will be more and more big companies that will port their software to Linux. It's a chance for the companies themselves, not a pitfall.

larku likes this.
  37. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Wow is that true? I hadn't looked into it since I still have a lot of time to upgrade. A subscription model for an operating system... what the frack? I think there was an aneurism in the idea department. I probably agree with @Ryiah 's modification. I'd probably move to linux because GabeN, but I think Apple would be more willing (and capable) to spend money to advertise and grab users.

We'll see the return of those "I'm a mac"... "and I'm a pc" commercials. I can see it now... they'll both go on vacation for 2 years and return to see that mac's wallet is doing fine but pc's wallet has mysteriously thinned due to fees he paid while not even using his OS.

... they could also use this opportunity to turn on the user completely and pull a similar stunt, leaving linux the only consumer-non-hostile platform left. Or maybe apple's decision will spark the riots that recent events have failed to. In my imaginary and unlikely scenario here, I believe that McDonalds would join forces with IBM to create the McOS. Why IBM and McDonalds? Their products are both bloated. It's a natural alliance.

38. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Read the posts after that. (Specifically, mine.)

--Eric

39. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Oh. Well, good. Apocalypse averted. I guess it's not [yet] time for my stock of canned pineapples to shine.

40. digiross

digiross

Linux is a waste of time developing for. They have less than 2% of the market share, I'd much rather see Unity Technologies go full steam ahead on the multiplayer features and the new terrain system.

41. larku

larku

What "market" is that though?

Those statistics are for the web browsing populous, not Unity's target market (being developers).

I know very few "non developers" (but are web users) that use Linux, I know lots of developers that do use Linux - a significantly larger portion than 2% of the developers I know.

42. Tautvydas-Zilys

Tautvydas-Zilys

Unity Technologies

I guess that highly depends on your circles ;).

I don't think it's worth debating whether it will be higher or lower than 2%, since at this point it would be pure speculation. Just wait for us to release the editor and then we'll see it in our actual stats.

Deleted User, Ryiah and larku like this.
  43. Sisso

Sisso

For sure. And in some circles are absolute inverse. I am from distributed cloud applications and big data. I think that only know 3 guys that work on windows.

It will open for new potential developers. New here, but very skilled developers. And very community and open source friendly.

Example, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apache_Cassandra, build by facebook, maintained by community, used by many big players like twiter and netflix.

larku and Tomza like this.
  44. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

45. Tomza

Tomza

It's not waste of time, since UE4 has the Linux version. There are many companies that support Linux versions because they understand that most of the famous 2% are developers that need many tools. Even if Windows has over 90% of the OS market, most of the users are just regular users, not developers. They browse the Internet, make documents with Microsoft Office, watch movies, photos, etc. They aren't developers so they won't install Unity or any other similar software. In other words, they are lost for Unity Technologies.

larku likes this.
  46. TheDMan

TheDMan

Except the majority is not going to pay nearly double for Apple computers when they can get cheaper and more powerful PCs and run free Linux.

Read what Microsoft said with "legal" eyes. They said there will be no "annual subscription" fee. They never said there wouldnt be a monthly one, nor did they say there would not be any subscription fee at all either.

Saying there isnt an annual fee doesnt mean there wont be a monthly one, or quarterly one, or semi-annual one.

The correct response from Microsoft would have been "there isnt going to be any subscription fee at all, and it will only be a single time purchase".

But it still means people that upgrade to Windows 10 thinking its going to be free forever will be in for a shock when their "free" version starts unactivating itself and starts trying to extort money for its reactivation. Which will lead to the exodus from Windows.

47. Ryiah

Ryiah

How many years have we seen people making claims that the current year will see a massive shift to Linux? It has gone on for so long that I've genuinely lost track and Reddit isn't much help. It appears to have started around a year or two of Y2K.

At the very least we're looking at fifteen years of these claims that have yet to come true. I'll believe it when it happens.

Scroll to the bottom of the article. It is very clearly stated there won't be any additional fees.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  48. TheDMan

TheDMan

Windows 8 took a big hit and flack from users. I, like many, absolutely hate Windows 8. Everyone I work with hates it. Its great on a mobile device, but horrendous for a PC. So they messed up real bad, and their upgrade stats show it.

Windows 10 is not going to be better. They did not listen to the issues PC users had with Windows 8. So the upgrade stats will be much worse. Microsoft was really lucky with Windows 7. It has propped them up from the mess they made with Vista. If Win 7 never came to be, Microsoft would be hurting real bad by now. But they were very very lucky.

If Windows 10 does worse that Windows 8, then its truly the end. I dont think people will put up with it much more. And I think Linux will be the default go to OS for those hating the new Windows. Mainly because Linux is now much like the older Windows versions. Versions like Mint or Ubuntu are incredibly similar to XP in terms of user friendliness and ease of use. So its natural to see that it will be the main draw.

I dont think the shift will be rapid in the beginning, because many companies will hold on to Windows for dear life as long as they can. But as more and more software becomes available on Linux, the progression to it will be a natural one. If by chance the younger generation (the market trendsetters of the tween/teen/early 20s age) get hooked on Linux and begin the viral popularity spread of it, then its goodbye for Windows for sure.

The author of the blog said that, not Microsoft. The blog is not Microsoft, nor has any official announcement stated there would be absolutely no subscription fee whatsoever. So until Microsoft officially and fully says that, its open season for them to charge any subscription fee they want.

It also said the following quote "keep it up to date for the supported lifetime". They could decide the product support lifetime is 1 year, or 10 years. Its not being specified.

If you go to Microsofts website, their fine print states open-ended statements such as "free until 2016", "free for one year from upgrade", and "some content sold separately", "some services sold separately". So really, I dont think they even know what they will do with it.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
    darkhog and Tomza like this.
  49. Tomza

Tomza

Exactly! This is a very real scenario.

Yes, we should be careful as to Microsoft because they have showed not once that they aren't honest. We know very well how many times Microsoft have paid fines for forcing its monopoly. They give us a free upgrade because of not they like us very much, but it's a marketing strategy. What will be at the end of the strategy - we don't know. With Linux, all is clear. That's why, it is very important to have a good alternative if something is wrong with Microsoft products. It's not question of being fan of any OS, but it's a question of security and freedom.

50. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Has anyone made a 1% joke about America's economy? Maybe there's some absurdly wealthy people in that 2% linux user figure.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.