Search Unity

Still no plans for Linux editor support?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Sam_Pr, Feb 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Not in any AAA company I've ever seen, when it comes to code reviews it's a sure fire way to get in trouble and eventually get your ass kicked out the door.

They'd much prefer you to be a hard worker, willing to learn and a team player (give training / etc.) than be the guy / gal who thinks they can't be replaced due to cryptic naming conventions.

Do you think Unity could do what Epic did? Drop all the third party stuff and build the entire system from scratch by themselves?

I think with just the shear amount of platforms they support, it's unlikely.

angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  2. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

I assume that comment about code readability was sarcasm, especially since he linked to unmaintainable code article. ;)

3. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@zombiegorilla sarcasm doesn't exist on the internet!

@ShadowK maybe it's a more viable strategy for small contract jobs with not-so-knowledgable clients.

4. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

Or you could, you know, be an actually skilled and useful developer and thus a productive employee who adds value to a business rather than weighs it down. That's how I'd look after my job security, anyway...

Ryiah and Deleted User like this.
  5. darkhog

darkhog

Not "stubbornly", but I have project that I've developed for last year or so and started when I was still hoping Unity executives haven't completely lost their mind. I don't have to say I don't want to waste time on porting it over to another engine, now do I?

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  6. Ryiah

Ryiah

If it allows you to more easily or quickly finish your project then I don't see how you would be wasting your time. Switching engines isn't something you want to take lightly, but neither is it something you should automatically write off solely because you're mid-project.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2015
  7. darkhog

darkhog

My main grief with Unity is that it doesn't have an editor for the proper operating system (the closest thing being OSX version, since it's Unix and all). Wasting months rewriting all game's systems that I've already done, in Unity would be hardly entertaining, purposeful and leading to somewhere. It's like the whole situation with that Sisyphus guy.

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Why can't you build a game using OSX or Windows though? If you want to use Unity what exactly is stopping you?

It's not that I agree or disagree there should be a Unix based editor, it's just if you was that serious about making a game it wouldn't matter what OS you use.

@Ryiah

Exactly, at some point you need to make a decision. It was easier for us to lean Unreal than it would of been to get everything we needed with Unity. 18 Months of development for a demo has quickly turned into 6 - 8 months now.. :)

zombiegorilla and angrypenguin like this.
  9. darkhog

darkhog

Oh, I'm serious about it. As I said, I was making it since a year or so and I'm adamant to finish it. And trust me, I'll be first person to format my hard drive, install openSuSE, Mint or any other sane Linux distro, then Unity once Linux version is available.

Here's link to my TigSource devlog about game: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=45904.0 - it was started recently, but only because I'm usually a very private person when it comes to my projects and besides had nothing to show before. Still have next to nothing to show as I'm working on the level editor.

10. Ryiah

Ryiah

Sane ones are boring. You should do it entirely from scratch. :p

11. darkhog

darkhog

Too much work for a productive person like me. The closest thing to this I've got was setting up a Gentoo for a friend and Arch for the other. It's the exact same reason I'm not dabbling in some half-assed engine like Irrlicht or Ogre.

12. Ryiah

Ryiah

I wouldn't necessarily use it for a production environment, but going through the process of building your own installation of Linux from scratch has much of the same advantages as building your own game engine. It assists you in understanding what exactly is going on under the hood.

13. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

I've been running Unity (and I have a Pro license) on Linux Mint for a few weeks now without a problem. Using the instructions on this page: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php/Running_Unity_on_Linux_through_Wine

I would still prefer a native version of Unity on Linux, as I never want to return to Windows. I don't use Linux because its free, I use it for its stability, security and ease of updates. Never is there a time where I have to wait hours for my computer to update and lose productivity (or my sanity).

Erosennin04 and Ryiah like this.
  14. darkhog

darkhog

Oh, so Asset Store works and there aren't any GUI glitches if you set different timezone? Because it's hardly "without a problem" if Asset Store, a.k.a. one of most important features doesn't work. GUI glitches I can live with, because there's easy workaround.

15. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

I have no need to set a different time zone.

The Asset Store works for me! I downloaded and installed the mocap package from Unity, everything is a go.

The only variation from the full write-up to get Unity to work on Linux I posted above was to change the unity.pol script (I used PlayOnLinux for installation) to use the latest version of Wine (1.7.38, I believe) and had to use a 32-bit installation of Unity.

Happy designing!

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  16. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

Last edited: Apr 7, 2015
    angrypenguin and Ryiah like this.
  17. Erosennin04

Erosennin04

i think the same about linux, but im prefer capacity and with wine we lost alot of memory and CPU, the people saied than wine DIDNT A EMULATOR but get alot of memory against one native instalation.

darkhog likes this.
  18. Erosennin04

Erosennin04

im waiting for native instalation of Unity 3D on ubuntu

darkhog likes this.
  19. ippdev

ippdev

So someone comes and shows you exactly how to run Unity on a Linux install and you whiners still want to be catered to specifically and regurgitate a litany of excuses. Are you serious game devs or just Linux fanboiz? Pathetic.

20. Ryiah

Ryiah

If you keep waiting you'll never get your game developed.

angrypenguin and MarkFowler like this.
  21. cod3r

cod3r

Haven't tried with the latest wine, but it ran sluggish and crashed constantly. Its worked in wine for a long time. This isn't new info.

It just runs like garbage. It's still not a viable solution. However programmers who are "fanboiz" will probably have it working like a champ in wine long before Unity devs get around to it. They seem to have a similar attitude about it as you do.

22. Ryiah

Ryiah

That's the catch with Wine. Due to the constantly fluctuating state of development some versions may work great while others may not work at all.

darkhog likes this.
  23. darkhog

darkhog

And that, my friend, is a reason why we need FREAKING NATIVE VERSION.

Ryiah and MarkFowler like this.
  24. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

I totally agree. I went back to Windows out of fear that with the new update to Unity, it may require something that the procedure above didn't include. Trust me, I don't want to be on Windows, I really don't. Unity is the sole reason I am on it.

darkhog likes this.
  25. nifker

nifker

Even epic games made UE4 available for GNU/Linux.

darkhog likes this.
  26. Ryiah

Ryiah

Yes and no. They definitely laid much of the ground work, and it likely doesn't involve much since the editor is running inside of the engine, but it still has yet to achieve "production ready" status. Additionally while they have made improvements to the build process, especially in their documentation, it is still more ideal to cross-compile than build it natively.

https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Linux_Support
    https://wiki.unrealengine.com/Building_On_Linux

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  27. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

That sounds perfectly pragmatic to me. I remember getting a Mac for the sole purpose of being able to deploy Unity stuff to iOS (and, before that, for the sole purpose of accessing the Editor - though that one was a work computer).

28. MarkFowler

MarkFowler

Unreal Engine now has a pretty stable Linux editor. Sorry to say but I have ditched Unity and Windows. Goodbye and happy designing!

darkhog likes this.
  29. Ryiah

Ryiah

Unity's roadmap has the Linux editor listed and the feedback entry is now marked as "Started", but given the indeterminate time frame I'm expecting it to still be a while before we see it. Most likely 6.x or later.

http://unity3d.com/unity/roadmap

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

bye, have fun.

Dantus likes this.
  31. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

Who knew it would only take 10 pages and 22597 votes to move it from 'no' to 'started'. Progress :D

darkhog likes this.
  32. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

I could be completely wrong, but I'd personally suspect that it's something else that caused the change. Graham has said it before, there'd have to be a certain number of projected Pro sales to cover the cost of creating and maintaining a new version of the Editor. So my guess is that there are new potential customers/industries or that the cost of the port has dropped, or a combination of the two.

In any case, it's pretty sweet news!

33. cod3r

cod3r

Awesome news :)

34. Tomnnn

Tomnnn

@angrypenguin I wonder if they would have been better of kickstarting it. I wonder how the community would have reacted. I don't really understand Unity's price models ._. I like them because they're always going to be the cheapest option, but where does their revenue come from!?

I've asked this before, I can feel it.

darkhog likes this.
  35. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Yeah, a kickstarter campaign would be a really interesting experiment.

36. darkhog

darkhog

Yes.

@Devil_Inside And the one I'd back in a heartbeat. IMO, it would be funded even faster than Shenmue 3 was. 2 hours tops.

37. Ryiah

Ryiah

What if it were a minimum of $1,500 to back it? ;)

angrypenguin, Devil_Inside and ippdev like this.
  38. greggtwep16

greggtwep16

I would assume now that personal probably has cut into the number of Unity Pro sales (still are pro users just a smaller group) that the main sources are probably below.

1. Premium Support/Source access from the medium/big companies.
    2. Asset Store 30% chunk
    3. They are increasingly getting into services. While most are in beta now I'm sure we'll see the business model there real soon. (Ads, Analytics, UNET, Cloud Build, Level 11, etc)

Hopefully their financials are healthy after the business model switch and I'm a HUGE fan that the old pro is essentially now free in personal edition.[/user]

39. Ryiah

Ryiah

It only stands to cut out those who were splurging on their hobby. Most successful developers, especially those who are not in countries where a little goes a long way, will be hitting that $100,000 mark.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  40. ippdev

ippdev

Figure 100 seats @ 1500.00USD for a medium sized studio and add in mobile license @ another 3000.00USD with a bulk discount and you are talking 300K to 400K USD...plus a premium support add-on. Say ILM wants it use it as a realtime previz app which it is capable of and you have a large pro Linux install base (based on their renderfarm OS) that begins to make it worthwhile..

Ryiah likes this.
  41. Sisso

Sisso

lol, good bye virtualbox.

I think that someone simple change the feedback flag to running to stop it to grow. :p

The big question is, what I will do now with my votes?

42. darkhog

darkhog

Making feedback request to make Unity open-source, what else!

43. ippdev

ippdev

That did not work for uGUI.. Lots of bluster and fume about how quickly it would be developed but nearly nada. Open source Unity will just give the codebase to clone makers of the Unity game engine.

Ryiah and Devil_Inside like this.
  44. darkhog

darkhog

Then make custom opensource license that says that if you modify Unity for your purposes, the changes MUST be send to Unity via pull request or whatnot if you're going to release a product using modified source (engine, editor, or both), doesn't matter if it'd be commercial or not.

45. Sisso

Sisso

Not too early, they need some time to breathe hehe.

I could not say that if it was, they would have a linux version a long time ago without expend money :p

46. Devil_Inside

Devil_Inside

Troll mode on
    Spend them on something useful this time?
    Troll mode off

zombiegorilla, Ryiah and ippdev like this.
  47. Sisso

Sisso

Sure... I probably will vote into "Remove windows support". With only linux and mac users It will drastically improve the quality of unity answers.

darkhog likes this.
  48. darkhog

darkhog

No "windows support", "windows editor" would work just fine.

49. Ostwind

Ostwind

I thought the dark skin and splash screen were the serious game breakers and will get all the votes.

Ryiah and Devil_Inside like this.
  50. darkhog

darkhog

That'd be easy to fix once Unity goes open-source ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.