Search Unity

Still no plan in supporting Unity 4.x after the recent release? (4.3.7)

Discussion in 'PSM' started by bakanekofr, Nov 17, 2014.

1. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Are you still not planning in releasing a Unity for PSM 4.5 / 4.6? Will the next PSM release be the official 5.0 public release?

On a side note, what can we expect with the 5.0 PSM upgrade in term of performance? faster (or slower) than 4.x for an equivalent scene?

2. davem250

davem250

UT A/S have stated many times that the next version of Unity for PSM will be Unity 5! and as for Engine speed... that really depends on your optimization of your project(s)!!! i have Unity5 pre-order beta and the runtime speed of both the Editor and Player has improved very much to the better, BUT, only after i optimized my game further! now when building the player, then in the player (for Mac!) i can now get a whopping 250 fps on a 20k tris level (250 draw calls!) and i don't have the newest iMac so it isn't because of that ;) but it is far easier to optimize your scenes in Unity5 than it actually is in Unity4 (personal opinion!!!) Hope this somewhat helps ;)

Cheers,
    ~David

bakanekofr likes this.
  3. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Thanks for the information.

Actually, my game works well currently with Unity 4.3.7, so I'm a bit afraid in upgrading to the 5.

I was hoping for an ultimate 4.6.x Unity for PSM before the 5 to ship my game, principally to have access to the new GUI, and also all the bug fix and optimizations since the 4.3.7 (maybe even a little performance / memory boost?).

I will surely upgrade to Unity 5 for my next project, but I'm afraid to break things and loose time with the current one. I don't think most of the new features of Unity 5, such as the new shaders, lighting, sound, physics ect. are usable on the little Vita anyway, or they might just slow it down...