Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Still need to use "ConverterVersion" even without subscenes?

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by Sarkahn, Nov 27, 2020.

1. Sarkahn

Sarkahn

Hello. I was recently having an issue where a change to one of my authoring scripts was not being picked up in my build. After a lot of hair pulling I tried adding the
    [ConverterVersion("Why", 1)]
    attribute to my prefab's authoring script, and that made it correctly pick up the changes. I thought since we aren't using subscenes I might not need to use it, is that wrong?

This was in a 2D project if it makes any difference, version 0.31.

2. kevinmv

kevinmv

Unity Technologies

For Tiny all data is converted to an entities binary file which encapsulates a subscene, or a subscene section. Previously Tiny required all content to be put into a subscene explicitly to allow the data export to serialize the content. This was an unnecessary however so we've removed that requirement and instead treat the overall Unity scene as a subscene. This allows us to serialize content without forcing users to use subscenes when dividing content on disk for loading purposes isn't necessary for the game. You can still use subscenes if you'd like to break up how content is persisted on disk for incremental web downloads or content streaming though.

Hope this helps shed some light on the export. The data export still goes through a conversion step which is why your attribute change is necessary when yo uwant to signal that the export process has changed and content should be re-exported. We just run that process on a "root" subscene that mirrors the Unity Scene.

Sarkahn likes this.