Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Stiff rubbery physics?

Discussion in 'Physics' started by BasBloem, Oct 20, 2019.

1. BasBloem

BasBloem

Hello, I've been reading up on physics doc and trying pretty much everything and looking everywhere, but there doesn't really seem to be any info on how to make a 'rubbery' like physics simulation.

I'm trying to create a punching bag that would bend, which means I have multiple joints set up that *should* keep itself upright. However I tried all settings, played with limits, but it just won't work. It either falls over. So I decided to add force pulling it upwards, but then it would just expand and become longer even when I try to limit the distances. I also tried all types of joints (except for hinge, because that one is just not applicable to this behaviour)

Is there any way to do a 'rubber pole' like behaviour with unity physics or should I just give up and find another physics system?

I don't necesarily need a punching bag for my game. I just picked it as a test because I thought it was gonna be simple :( The main thing is that I need joints that return to their 'default' position (Or at least attempt to, it might never reach the default position, but at least it should try to 'straighten' towards the default position to show stiffness of the joints in my rig). At the moment I can only think of one basic example; a sausage wobbling around without stretching into infinity or bending 180 degrees. Trying to keep it's shape as it was while still being a bit flexible.

This is my last attempt and the current state and the worst one probably, so I just gave up for the night and hope someone can help me out :p
    Unity physics are scary, lol.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2019