Search Unity

Bug Sticky Keyboard Input, keys get stuck in down state

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sameng, Nov 11, 2021.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

Amazing ! Will this be in the Input System package or is it in the core ?

2. petey

petey

Hey thanks for the update @KevinWelton! That's great news :)
    Just wondering, is there any chance this could make it back to the latest LTS?

3. jsm174

jsm174

@KevinWelton, I see 2022.1.0b6 is out. Not seeing anything in the release notes that mention this fix. Should we still try this version?

4. jnho228

jnho228

Granted, I've only done a quick few minutes of playing around (plus having a few drinks), but it seems the new beta has fixed the input issues, at least for this issue! I'll test more tonight / tomorrow, but it seems to be fixed, I believe.

jsm174 likes this.
  5. jnho228

jnho228

For reference I'm working on a bullet hell and until now all M1-based development was meaningless and now I can actually play it in-editor.

6. jsm174

jsm174

I just gave it a try in our pinball app, and no more stuck flippers. It's like night and day. Will continue to test!

petey, aromana and jnho228 like this.
  7. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Yes, the fix should be in 2022.1.0b6 :)

Let me know if you continue to hit issues or inconsistencies.

8. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

Right now I have this backported to 2021.2 (it should be available in 2021.2.0f11 when released.) I have a case open for a 2020.3 backport, but I want to give it some time to bake before completing the backport since potentially destabilizing an LTS build is very bad :)

petey, aromana and sameng like this.
  9. sameng

sameng

Thanks so much for your work!

Just to clarify, do you mean it should be in version 2021.2.11?

Looking at the release cadence for 2021.2.X, it looks like that version could land in the end of Feb / beginning March.

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

Confirming. Works like a charm ! Thank you so much for fixing this !
    Sadly there's a new bug in burst and we can't build :( we're doomed ;)

11. adslitw

adslitw

Yep working great for me, thanks! Still suffering with the editor spikes, but they're manageable at least.

petey likes this.
  12. jnho228

jnho228

It feels the same for me. Input is fine and the sticky keys are 100% gone (I think!). The editor seems to still be a little laggy but at least it's not input-affecting anymore. Also only way I can get it to be playable is if the window is maximized. Showing anything else is still extremely laggy, but it's been like that forever so I'll take the input win! Development on the MacBook is definitely possible again.

13. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

It honestly depends on long it takes to property vet it. In November and December, one reason you see such huge gaps is because people are away for the holidays. If I were spitballing, I'd guess from 1-2 weeks.

aromana, jnho228, adslitw and 2 others like this.
  14. DebSwisher

DebSwisher

Also adding that the 2022 build fixed sticky input for me as well! On m1 mac mini with Monterey OS.

15. sameng

sameng

Looks like 2021.2.11 just landed with this fix. Here's hoping the sticky input woes are gone!

jnho228 likes this.
  16. jnho228

jnho228

I can confirm with 2021.2.11 the sticky keys are gone. And frame rates are way better compared to the beta, so I feel comfortable resuming most development back on my M1 machine without any hiccups. Thanks a ton for noticing the issue and getting it back up and running, @KevinWelton!

aromana likes this.
  17. petey

petey

Has there been any more talk of fixing this on the current LTS? It's really making testing super frustrating.

18. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

This has not been forgotten. If you head over to the bug status page for this issue, you can see that a backport case is outstanding for 2020.3. This item is on my plate. I don't want to rush the backport to an LTS release without having a bit more time to gauge if any unintended side-effects crop up. I know this is frustrating because the bug is so obnoxious.

If I haven't had any issues crop up in the next week or so, I expect I'll move forward with it.

jnho228, adslitw, petey and 1 other person like this.
  19. sameng

sameng

All seems well on the M1 side on 2021.2.13. I've been using it for a while now since it came out.

Thank you @KevinWelton for the fix! I think this issue seems to be gone without issues on my end.

20. petey

petey

Thanks for the heads up @KevinWelton :) That's good to know.

21. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

This is currently scheduled to arrive in 2020.3.32f1. Please let me know your results when it lands!

petey, aromana and sameng like this.
  22. imaethan

imaethan

I'm on Unity 2021.2.15f1 on Windows and this bug is still present. Using the old input manager the keys will get stuck down if there's a hitch/spike/performance drop it seems. Updated my version of Unity 3 times now trying to fix this, it's getting kinda ridiculous.

23. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

The bug in this thread and its associated fix is very mac specific. If you are seeing the same behavior on Windows, I strongly encourage you to use "Help"->"Report a Bug".

sameng likes this.
  24. petey

petey

Just got a chance to check it out and it seems to be working :)
    So good, Thanks!

25. k-latte

k-latte

Thank you for the fix!

26. rhys_vdw

rhys_vdw

We're still getting this issue in Windows editor 2021.3.2. Just wanted to confirm this is likely the same issue as this thread seems to be MacOS specific? I'm surprised nobody else is talking about this. I think this is the third or forth project to experience the issue, with all collaborators reproducing it.

@KevinWelton we can upgrade to a newer stable release to test at some stage if you think it's related.

27. KevinWelton

KevinWelton

@rhys_vdw, if you see the same issue on Windows, please report a bug. The issue in this thread along with its fix is very mac specific.

28. sagardaingade

sagardaingade

In webGL, the Mac, and Windows system both has the same issue on a web browser.
    When the A or D key is pressed and click on some UI buttons, and then released the key from the keyboard, the Key Up event is not raised on the WebGL, I am getting Only Pressed key as true on the update, but not getting the Up event so the character is walking and not stop. So it gets stuck on A or D key. I need to press that key again to work properly.
    This issue is not getting on the editor or Mac build or Exe build. This issue is only on WebGL.
    So Please can you help me out?

29. Tyrcnex

Tyrcnex

I'm on 2021.3.21f1 and I still have this bug. I'm on a M1 Mac.

30. adslitw

adslitw

This was fixed over a year ago I'm afraid dude - I doubt this is your issue.

Total
    stab in the dark - are you using Input.GetKey instead of GetKeyUp / GetKeyDown?