Search Unity

Steve Jobs Resigns As CEO of Apple

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by jashan, Aug 25, 2011.

1. jashan

jashan

I think that's some pretty intense news:

Steve Jobs Resigns As CEO of Apple

He's still now on the Board of Directors, in fact, chairman of the Board of Directors. Tim Cook, previously COO is now the new CEO of Apple.

2. kablammyman

kablammyman

damn, that is intense.

3. Dreamora

Dreamora

Intense yeah
    But not as much as one might have hoped to get apple back to reality with their god complex as steve is still far too close to the heads of the hydra, at least out of my view

4. kerters

kerters

Maximum intensity * plays Titanic soundtrack in background *

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Earth to dreamora, you're breaking up! we can't understand your transmission! alert, imminent collision course with asteroid!

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

7. TehWut

TehWut

8. Dreamora

Dreamora

means that I hoped that Steve Jobs would drop further away from doing decisions that lead to such major approaches of stalling competitions to hold onto their monopol dreams backed by their itunes - ipod monopol generated 80B war box they use to attack everybody not backed by google, microsoft or mobile vital patents directly.

-> hydra with many heads that need to be cut = too much cash to get rid of the god complex driven apple anytime soon to get a "competition and innovation focused apple" as long as Jobs is still that close to the lead.

I like their products. But not the god complex they build with every new litigation success of hot air (really, they can still lock anybody for the swipe gesture they "borrowed" themself from microsofts table lab as in http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/24...laxy-smartphones-in-eu-set-for-october-13th/? how much more laughable can patents become?!)

Last edited: Aug 25, 2011
  9. galent

galent

By the timing, I'm assuming he's not feeling up to the grind anymore. As a person, I hope he steps back and takes some time to enjoy some of the simpler aspects of life a little more.

Not to dash your hopes Dreamora, but with Apple stock and market value (historically and present) no sane CEO will deviate from Steve's vision for at least 3 generations. Apple will be Apple with or without Steve Jobs for many years to come.

Back on topic, while I've not known Mr. Jobs personally, and I haven't really appreciated some of his decisions (not that I think he really ran the whole show, alone and unsupported), I can sure appreciate what he was able to accomplish both in the early years at Apple, and since his "temporary" return in '97. If I was presented the opportunity to send him a message, it'd probably go something like:

"Congrats on one hell of a career, a staggering run at Apple, and frankly a global redefining of technology and culture (more than once)!! One way or another it's time to let the kids take a run at running the show. So, here's hoping you get to sit back and tell tall tails of what "really happened" for many years to come. Have one on me :)

Cheers,

Galen"

10. galent

galent

Ha! I had a buddy back at IBM who was there when the young, unknown, Microsoft was first brought in (actually, come to it I know one of the fellows who pulled trigger on them in the first place). Some day we need to sit and swap stories, I'll tell you what he thought of Microsoft, and their "early innovation" program :)

Apple didn't invent "innovation by "borrowing" and litigation" ;)

Cheers,

Galen

11. Jessy

Jessy

I think he has done an awesome job of easing everyone into his death. It's a pretty sad state of affairs that we haven't reached the level of technology yet, where Steve Jobs can get himself healed, though.

12. onllm

onllm

i think we will finally see flash on the iphone 6? I hope Tim Cook doesnt screw up Apple's legacy..i still need the app store to sell my app....please do a good job..

13. Dreamora

Dreamora

Hehe well that story though is different cause IBM and a few other companies back then just had blokes doing stupid decisions forcing those with good ideas to leave and found competitors (as IBM had to learn). Its one thing to say that something is crap and forcing someone to follow his ideas over going out, using others innovations, using holes in the patent system large enough to fit Mt Everest in and then going out to stall competition with others work and monopol funded financial inflow (itunes, the only defacto monopol neither US nor EU gov so far dragged to court over missuse, although the MS monopol they had is a joke compared to the by now what 93% market control?)

But thats not the same as taking the innovation created by MS and Adobe, patenting it for a portable device (hell its a touch screen, which ***** ever came up with the concept that big screen != small screen -> 2 patents??) and then sueing Android for the first 1.5 years over even the attempt to use multitouch and now coming around with the approach to use the stolen gestures to repeat after they lost it on multitouch. You wouldn't believe how much I would love to see apple fined a 10B bomb for monopol driven stalling of competitors and threatening industry partners and producers with the same money pile.

Lets be fair, if apple hadn't missused these things android would have been in the current install base situation nearly a year earlier and apples happy smiley face would have ran a lot different.
    But I still hope that google pulls the "asshole" mode and sues apple the day iOS5 goes live over the notification center, blocking EU and US import of all ARMV7 devices until its settled. Just so they learn their lesson that borrowing of "good, standard features" is in the users interest and that this is a synergy, not a "apple is allowed to, all others arent" thing.

If the stuff goes on like this its obvious where it ends and I personally have no interest in ending there so I hope that the day comes when MS and Google join force to teach apple a little lesson on what happens if you start to missuse other patents against their licensees and friends, after all the last major monopol missuse on global scale that went through widely untouched was Apples too with the iPod, which was backed on exactly the damn untouched iTunes monopol ... and the MP3 player market definitely did NOT benefit from apple killing out all reasonable competitors left and right, cause iPods are an anoying, limited and often pissy baby toy compared to even the first creative players as ipods always ahd worse battery lifetime, format support and capabilities and that the syncing of creatives players is worlds beyond the itunes lock in only approach does not even need talk (oh wait ... the iphone suffers the same thing and soon they even will try to cut any circumvention through Wifi sync + iCloud ...)

So I really hoped apple would take the chance to get something done about their reputation and way of business handling when they get the chance without Jobs at the head but it seems that getting his puppet moved up there kills the chance for the next 2 years until apple has lost the dominant position on tablet and smart phone market again and they are forced to reconsider stuff

@onllm: only if sun cools out, hell freezes, pigs learn to fly and Bush becoems a honest, non-greedy part of the mankind (read that as NEVER EVER NEVER EVER EVER)

14. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Windows takes back the market yeah! no no, haha

15. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

What do you mean he can't make white iPhone? You vile creature of the netherworld!
    How dare you slander the GOD HIMSELF!?

Now let us pray.

Our Steve
    Who art in Cupertino
    Hallowed be thy name

Thy kingdom come,
    Our world be done,
    On earth as it is in Cupertino.

Give us this day our daily lawsuit,
    And fine them their debts,
    As we have been fined by those we have debted.

And lead us not into temptation,
    But deliver us from evil,
    For thine is the kingdom,
    And the iPhone, and the glory forever.
    Amen.

16. onllm

onllm

stop hating on Steve and just wish him well. Without him there wont be an App store,wont be a itouch or iphone, meaning Unity wont be what Unity is now and 90% of you wont be posting on this forum. Cuz you would be writing a pack man game for Motorola Razr 5 using notepad.(very likely scenario bcoz Apple single-handedly cast them into exile) And no, Android market will probabali not exist either if Apple had not come up with that idea first. Plz admire this man's vision and boldness. He turned a near-bankrupt company into the most valuable company in the world today totalling $ 350 billion. His work is inspirational. And dreamora, there is nothing wrong in filing patents to protect your innovation because every major player in the industry does that. If you happened to run a 350 billion dollar business you would be doing the exact same thing bcoz you need to be responsible for your shareholders and employees, not encouraging your competition. As far as i know Apple and Steve only uses tactics within the bound of the law and to me there is nothing wrong with that. Apple will be ok, even a Google-MS-Motorola coalition will not be able to stop Apple. Not within 10 years.

All hail to one of greatest CEO of our time. Steve will go down in history with the likes of Edison Thomas, Albert Einestein etc

17. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

What about Bill Gates, without him life would be non-existence in modern day society.

18. onllm

onllm

Bill Gates was the man in the 90/2000s. However, MS became too stagnant and ceased innovation. MS took a shot at the mobile market, but they failed horribly while Apple succeded. BTW, Bill Gates is alive and well i will write him a tribute once he dies.

19. Melonsoda

Melonsoda

Lol, agreed.

20. saymoo

saymoo

Apple stock value will fall soon. (investors don't like surprises, investors don't know Tim Cook (no measurable portfolio), Apple has played dirty in recent times and will be punished)
    Mark my words.

21. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

Well, Unity started on a Mac, so I would nix the "Unity won't be what Unity is now" and replace it with "Unity won't be"

On another note, Apple sources have promised that this doesn't necessarily mean his health is worsening. They [Huffington Post] even got Woz on the phone to address this subject. He doesn't know if Jobs' health is declining. (Here is the video)

22. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

There's very few people I admire in the computing world for their talents and contributions.

1. I admire john carmack for being the ultimate geek and bringing 3D gaming forwards in a big leap with doom, then quake.

2. I admire steve jobs for forcing, his entj will on the company and bringing forwards a different kind of computing. Without apple, we'd be without google android - or still seeing these as devices that should have palm like keyboards and little annoying pens. We wouldn't have a landscape where we could love or hate apple. And I think he has done much for computing, more than bill gates ever did.

I don't currently, admire anyone else. You might not like steve jobs, but you cannot knock the work he has done and the manner he chose to do it - on his terms. That is quite inspirational really and you have to respect that much. It's sad his billions can't cure him though. Or humbling?

23. artzfx

artzfx

More than Bill Gates? I don't think it is a question of who has done more. If you take away Bill Gates, would Steve Jobs and Apple be where they are now? That's what competition creates. It pushes the limits with each using others as stepping stones, just as Microsoft and its http://www.microsoft.com/surface/en/us/default.aspx innovation from some years ago possibly got Jobs and Apple thinking about touch screen devices, who knows. Just a shame the Apple legal dept runs in overdrive and seemingly trying to kill any chance of competition where they possibly can.

EDIT: Some viewing for you of Jobs and Gates thoughts on each others contributions http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5Z7eal4uXI

Last edited: Aug 26, 2011
  24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I guess you forgot the part where apple were ahead of microsoft then. Windows was originally meant to be a licensed mac os.

Xerox is the real pioneer of the two when it came to operating systems. But apple set the bar and pushed ahead, something windows could only imitate. MS has been more successful in business, not more of a pioneer. And that is why I feel MS has had less of a contribution, or specifically, the business of bill gates. There is no question bill has done much.

But my opinion is that jobs has changed the landscape more.

25. lmbarns

lmbarns

With all this talk about innovation I'd like to give a shout out to Nikola Tesla. My life wouldn't be the same without you.

:p

26. taumel

taumel

Without Jobs Apple wouldn't be what Apple is today, in a good as well as in a bad sense. If iCloud devices&services is all they have to offer for the future then good night. Even computer/video games related there are tons of people i admire more than Jobs like Bob Yannes, Jay Miner, Dan Silva, Alexey Pajitnov, John Carmack, ...

Unity's success is very much connected to the Apple platform(s). Without the typical Apple users who were willing to pay for Unity, Unity might have struggled too much in the beginning like many other engines which tried to evolve on the PC platform and weren't able to pass a important critical mass. Unity those days had the luck that all the other engines did it wrong and they simply showed up at the right time and the right place and continued to develop their product.

What Unity wasn't able to, is to deliver a tool which a) works in a convincing way (i won't go into details here) and b) in the end also results into better video games. A certain percentage of the problem is Unity's fault because the developers were too unexperienced in the beginning and didn't deliver a well focused product which still invites many users wasting their time on aspects which aren't relevant for a well designed game but that's another story.