Search Unity

Stereoscopic view. What makes cardboards plugin special??

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by shaundavies, Feb 12, 2018.

1. shaundavies

shaundavies

Hi,

I am having nothing but problems trying to get google cardboards plugin to work in unity for IOS devices. I was wondering what makes cardboards stereoscopic view different and or special compared to me just having render textures split down the center mimicking a duel image of the same view?

Thanks!

2. bradweiers

bradweiers

Have you checked out https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/get-started-ios ?

The advantage of using the Cardboard SDK is that we update the pose (in this case rotation) of the camera from the tracking data from the gyro *immediately before rendering*, reducing lag between movement of the device and the movement of the virtual camera. This can only be done in the native c++ side (under the hood) currently.

3. shaundavies

shaundavies

Thanks redthrawn for the info. That's nice to know, because I know you can get the gyroscope data from your unity API aswell, but as you said it will run slower and stuff. This is what I keep getting on an iphone 6s.

I uploaded the same thing to a new ipad and the stereo view is like this - which looks correct

Any thoughts on what I may be overlooking? I followed the steps from the listed link.

4. bradweiers

bradweiers

Hmmm not sure. If you submit a bug we'll have a look.

5. shaundavies

shaundavies

OK, thanks!