Search Unity

Stereoscopic rendering support

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by TamBui, Jan 19, 2018.

1. TamBui

TamBui

I've read the manual on How to do Stereoscopic Rendering but for the life of me I cannot figure out how to turn on stereoscopic rendering in Unity. The DirectX sample that is referenced does not use or require any aspect of Unity as far as I could see. I got it to compile and run, but it is a standalone C++ Windows app, not a Unity-based PC app. Also, in my Player Settings, I do not see any checkbox for "Stereoscopic Rendering" anywhere, but this is mentioned in passing whenever I google it...where is it?

Unity: 2017.1.0f3 (Personal) and 2017.3.0b6 (Personal)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 6GB 1060
    Windows 10 Fall Creators Update

All I want is to get a simple Unity app running in stereoscopic mode on a 3D DLP-link projector, using my active shutter 3D glasses. My scene just has a spinning cube and a camera facing it. I do not see any "stereoscopic" options on the default camera in the Inspector. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. Gruguir

Gruguir

That doc is pretty outdated. Go to 'Player Settings'/'XR Settings' to check 'Virtual Reality supported'. This is where you deal with the various XR SDKs (including 3d screens). Then add the 'Stereo Display' sdk (at the top of the list).
    https://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/XR.html

abishekjreuben and TamBui like this.
  3. TamBui

TamBui

@Gruguir Thank you so much! I don't think I would have every figured this one out without your help. Not a single Unity doc states what you described. Here it is for others who may have this question:

upload_2018-1-29_13-32-5.png

Thank you, Gruguir!

4. glenneroo

glenneroo

@TamBui Thanks for the screenshots! Unity should really update their documentation and put these screenshots in there!

enhawk likes this.
  5. abishekjreuben

abishekjreuben

This post saved me. Thanks!

6. teja9118

teja9118

Hi,
    I am trying to convert my unity project into the 3D project to display on corner cave, can anyone help me on step by step process.
    I tried above setting but I didn't see anything happening.

I am using unity 2018.3.14
    windows 10

7. kaimenn

kaimenn

Hi,

I think since Unity version 2019 or at least 2019.3.3f1, they have added a message that the Virtual Reality Support settings will be deprecated:

Deprecated.jpg

Would there still be a way to do non head-mounted stereo display rendering after they have completely faded out the option? Any help would be appreciated!