Search Unity

Stereoscopic Rendering Check Box

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by liquify, Dec 20, 2014.

1. liquify

liquify

Hi, I tried to use this Stereoscopic Rendering feature in Unity 4.5, but I could not make it work.

I have a system that can display active stereoscopic rendering with quad buffer, with the following specifications:
    - Windows 8.1.
    - Unity Pro 4.5.
    - Graphic card that supports Direct X 11.
    - 3D DLP Projector that supports 120 Hz screen refresh rate.

On the same system I am able to see stereoscopic rendering with another interactive 3D software and 3D DLP projector (I just need to activate that interactive 3D software's Quadbuffer feature).

The issue is I cannot see stereoscopic rendering after activating Unity 4.5 Stereoscopic Rendering check box.

Do you have any documentation or tutorial about the Stereoscopic Rendering feature? How to make it work?

2. redstudio

redstudio

Yes I am also interested in knowing how to do this.

3. OpticalOverride

OpticalOverride

Not 100% sure what you want. Do you want your scene view to be stereoscopic? The stereoscopic checkbox in the Player Settings does not make the camera in your scene stereoscopic, to my understanding it just makes some optimizations if you are using a stereoscopic view (which I use in my VR scenes, btw. seems to be less of the dreaded judder). EDIT: This information is not correct (or relevant, really), correct answer for use of the Stereoscopic checkbox in the Player Settings can be found below!! Thanks, thep3000!

To view your scene for a head-mounted display (stereoscopic), you have a few options:

1) The (highly) recommended method if you are to use the Rift is to import their unityPackage, and use their prefab for the camera. When you drop this prefab in your scene, the game view will become stereoscopic.

2) You could simply place two cameras in the scene, and then changing their view ports simply split the screen vertically with one camera for each of the left/right eyes. Had to do this for an HMD in the lab I worked in last year, I personally don't recommend it as you have to write code for adjustments of IPD, etc. yourself... Use option 1 if you can.

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  4. liquify

liquify

Basically I just want to open my application and see the scene in active stereoscopic 3D. I thought the Stereoscopic Rendering checkbox is the way to enable stereoscopic 3D viewing through 3D DLP projector projection. I am also looking for this feature documentation and tutorial.

5. virror

virror

Hmm, is this checkbox something that can be changed on the fly?
    Whats the drawback of using it without the rift setup?
    Thinking about how to handle it when a game supports both monitor and rift.
    If it gives better performance its a great thing!

Edit: Sent a bug report about the total lack of documentation about it, if more do that they might give us some info about it : p

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
  6. liquify

liquify

Thanks man, we definitely need a documentation and a tutorial for it

7. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

Stereoscopic checkbox is strictly for DirectX11.1's stereoscopic 3d support. It doesn't use AMD's quad buffer extension. Make sure that https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Direct3D-111-Simple-Stereo-9b2b61aa works on your machine.

When you launch the game, hold shift to bring up the resolution dialog. There will be a checkbox in the resolution dialog for Stereo3D if a capable display is detected. Regarding the API, there are a few options on Camera: stereoEnabled, stereoSeparation, stereoConvergence. Use these to tweak the effect. You will need only one camera in the scene, the rendering of the two eyes is handled by those parameters.

Note that this checkbox is not for Oculus (or other VR headsets to my knowledge) at this time.

Mycroft likes this.
  8. virror

virror

Awesome, thanx a LOT for clarifying this! : )

9. OpticalOverride

OpticalOverride

Thanks for the clarification, thep3000! Updated my post above that contained incorrect information and pointed them to your post instead.

10. MABManZ

MABManZ

The default shadow rendering had issues with rendering shadows correctly using nvidia's 3D Vision setup (they would render at the wrong depth). Does this feature address that at all?

11. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

I think shadows are an issue with Nvidia 3D Vision in automatic mode, where the driver automates stereo separation, convergence, etc. Shadows rendered in screen space and thus the driver knows nothing about the depth. But when using the stereoscopic mode described above, we render the shadows at the proper depth in each eye, so they should work.

12. Cascho01

Cascho01

@thep3000
    Any official documentation on this (Stereoscopic rendering checkbox)?

13. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

None to my knowledge. I've added it to our issue tracker.

14. aasm

aasm

15. liquify

liquify

Hi thep3000, I have tried the following:

1. https://code.msdn.microsoft.com/windowsapps/Direct3D-111-Simple-Stereo-9b2b61aa : This works.

2. Check the Stereoscopic Rendering and Use Direct3D 11 checkboxes in the Player Settings.

3. Publish it as 32-bit and 64-bit applications.

4. Try it with single camera and double cameras.

5. Hold Shift when launching the application to see Stereo 3D checkbox in the resolution dialog : I do not see the Stereo 3D checkbox..

After trying many methods, I still cannot see the stereo effect in my standalone application. And the "Camera.main. stereoenabled" property always returns "false". Did I miss some steps?

16. imin

imin

Hi,
    if you need DX 9/11/11.1 stereoscopy / clustering etc we can provide to you a beta version of MdidleVR for Unity that can do that much more easily!
    contact@middlevr.com
    Let us know!
    Sébastien

17. liquify

liquify

Thanks Sébastien, but I prefer not to use plugin if possible...

18. Scale1Portal

Scale1Portal

Liquify : please double-check your desktop resolution ; it has to be marked as "3D" from the standard Windows display resolution settings.
    @thep3000 : any hint about the documentation of this feature ? For some reason it seems to screw up the camera projection matrix (release 4.6.1f1).

19. liquify

liquify

Hi Scale1Portal, I used 1024 x 768 (3D) desktop resolution. I also tried to play it without window (maximized) and enabled the projector view only, but it still doesn't work.

20. Scale1Portal

Scale1Portal

Which convergence and separation values did you use ?
    I can't say for 4.5 though, I only tested in 4.6.

21. stuartnlevy

stuartnlevy

There is still no useful documentation of this feature. We feel left in the dark trying to achieve active 3d stereo for our simulation. We have followed all the advice in this thread and have gotten as far as starting Unity in 3D mode from the launch dialog, but inspection of Camera.main.stereoenabled still returns false in game.

Has anyone gotten this feature to work?

22. stuartnlevy

stuartnlevy

We solved our issue: Setting Unity to render in linear color space breaks stereoscopic rendering. It appears this is a known but ultimately low-priority issue. Hopefully it will get solved soon.

23. Scale1Portal

Scale1Portal

Good catch ! Going further on this topic, the camera.stereoconvergence param has no effect at all if you have some realtime shadows enabled (in forward rendering). In Deferred Lighting, you will get some shadows, but insconsistent between left & right eye. :eek:

24. HunterTank95

HunterTank95

hate to bump an old thread but I'm currently researching active shutter 3d technology through Unity (NOT NVIDIA but the active shutter that comes default on high-end 3D TV's) and was wondering if the situation has improved at all regarding this feature?

25. thep3000

thep3000

Unity Technologies

@HunterTank95 we fixed a bug around this in 5.1.3p2 which should be released later this week (Unity Patch Releases). Please let us know if there are still issues regarding Stereoscopic checkbox after this release.

26. micuat

micuat

The DirectX simple stereo example works, but Unity stereoscopic doesn't work for me (Unity 5.2.1f1, Asus LCD, Quadro K1200). I fiddled around with checkboxes in the Player settings, but what I see is a clear color of the main camera on the left eye, and solid gray color on the right eye.

27. micuat

micuat

@thep3000 any information on Quadro K1200 support?

28. bakanekofr

bakanekofr

Stereo 3D still not working for me, as of Unity 5.2.1f1.

My setup:
    - Panasonic plasma 3D HDTV, or Sony HMZ T3 (both should support 3D 720p60 via HDMI).
    - Nvidia 3DTV Play (3D Vision for non Nvidia displays).
    - Nvidia GTX 970, Windows 10 Pro, DX11.
    - I've activated the stereo 3D checkbox in the player settings.

Results:
    - When activating the 3D checkbox, and using exclusive fullscreen mode in 720p: Black image.
    - When activating the 3D checkbox, and using non exclusive fullscreen mode in 720p: Legacy UI showing in left eye only, no 3D elements on both eyes.
    - When not activating the 3D checkbox, and using exclusive fullscreen mode in 720p: 3D elements works, but glitches in the speculars and shadows (I suppose this is forced S3D by the Nvidia driver, so it's not using any Unity optimizations).

Are you guys still working on Stereo 3D (not VR) support? I did try it around one year ago, and it was in a similar state...

29. impul101

impul101

Stereo 3D is not working for me as well. I followed the steps listed above...Using Unity 5.2.3

30. Hypermatter

Hypermatter

I'm having this same issue. I have an Nvidia compatible BenQ 3d projector. I can get it to work on tests but not with unity.
    Where exactly do I set the Camera stereoscopic parameter to "on". I found the player settings checkmark, but not the camera.
    Has anyone succeeded in getting this to work?

31. tmu

tmu

Not working for us either, have seen it working with some older Unity4 -versions. Checking the stereoscopic on in the player settings causes empty bluish display, non-stereo works OK. All other 3D stereo material we use are also OK.

32. bfs013

bfs013

I think that this stereoscopic feature is ONLY dedicated to Oculus Rift. This is what I understood from OSVR HDM documentation.

33. tmu

tmu

I have some older models done with Unity4 where stereoscopic 3D works well without OSVR HDM.

34. VeTaL

VeTaL

Not actually. There's a "Stereoscopic rendering" checkbox for, well, stereoscopic rendering and a "VR supported" checkbox for Oculus Rift.

I made it works some months ago, now i'm trying to run it again, but see only a blue screen if to enable stereoscopic rendering.

35. Mr-Tsunami

Mr-Tsunami

I'm struggling with the same issue. Black screen (with reddish DLP Link tint) and crash in 3d mode. 2d works fine. Crash log is attached.

I see multiple messages:
    D3D11: Failed to create RenderTexture (256 x 256 fmt 27 aa 8), error 0x887a0005
    and
    d3d11.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module d3d11.dll at 0033:b7f90030

My system info: Win10 64bit, latest Unity 5.3.2p1, Benq DLP Link projector.
    Please unity devs, we need your participation.

Attached Files:

36. tmu

tmu

37. julienkay

julienkay

What's the state of Stereo3D? Has anyone actually managed to get a project to run on a 3D DLP Projector lately?

38. liquify

liquify

Yes, just plug and play

39. enhawk

enhawk

I don't think this ever worked, and the display dialogue is gone now so it's all crumbled to dust.

SBS is easy enough to make, you just need to plonk in two cameras and have them render to texture, then squish those textures into two ui render textures. Basic but it works.

Abandon all hope with Unity Stereo Display XR settings. Screenshot 2021-12-12 at 18.03.29.png

Last edited: Dec 12, 2021