Search Unity

Bug Stereoscopic Capture value not working

Discussion in 'VR' started by leesolarflare, Oct 24, 2019.

1. leesolarflare

leesolarflare

Hey Guys,

So I've been testing the Unity Recorder function with Timeline.

Have it all working except, the stereoscopic value doesn't seem to do anything, regardless of what value I
    input.
    Can go from 0.064 all the way up to 640.0 and left and right equirectangulars are still the same.

Have also tried the camera script to generate the left and right cubemaps, and the new built in option in the unity recorder. (See attached).
    Both output the same.

Anyone else had this issue?

Also have an issue with some weird artifacts, that seem to generate some noise which is fixed on the frame, in the shape of a triangle.

But one problem at a time, ;)

Cheers,
    Lee

Attached Files:

2. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hey @leesolarflare!

I ran some tests on my end but unfortunately wasn't able to reproduce your issue. Could you tell me which version of Unity and the Recorder package you are currently using? If you have a basic test project you could send that would also be awesome.

For comparison, I attached a picture of a test with different values for the stereo separation (0.065 and 1.5).

Thanks!

Attached Files:

3. leesolarflare

leesolarflare

Hi cguertin.

Using Unity 2019.2.6f1. HDRP.
    Recorder version 2.0.3-preview.1

I was just using the default HDRP scene as a test basis.

Have exported out the scene as a package to test.

https://we.tl/t-VNCKysFoBt

Cheers for your help,

Lee

4. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Thanks for the extra information, I can indeed reproduce the issue with your test scene. The problem appears to be isolated with HDRP (the test scene I used was set-up with the legacy renderer).

I'll file in a bug report with our developers to look into the problem. Thank you for reporting this!

5. leesolarflare

leesolarflare

Ok thanks,
    i'll look out for an update, as ideally want to use the 2 together.

The other issue I am getting with the equirectangular output, is a weird triangular artifact that seems to be locked in place on the image, and causes a lot of grain.

I've put together a gif that shows the camera pushing in towards the scene, but the artifact staying in the same place.

Attached Files:

6. NathanRH

NathanRH

@cguertin any update on this? The latest version of HDRP still doesn't support Stereo Capture feature....
    Is this something we can expect in the future?

7. cguertin

cguertin

Unity Technologies

Hey @NathanRH! Unfortunately I still don't have an ETA but it's absolutely something we want to fix in future versions of the Recorder.

8. NathanRH

NathanRH

Thanks, that's great news!! Yes I hope it will be fixed in the API level as well as the Recorder. Thanks, looking forward to it!

9. eshaftel

eshaftel

@cguertin any update on this issue? Running into the same issue using URP and AVPro Movie Capture. Unity 2019.3.15f1

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  10. eshaftel

eshaftel

Just tested this again in 2019.4.0f1 and I cannot get stereoscopic 360 capture using Unity Recorder in a URP project. Both top and bottom are identical regardless of inter-eye distance setting. Do you have an update on what version will fix the support for this, or the timeline? Thanks.

11. adriansotov

adriansotov

Any news on this? I can't even generate monoscopic 360 in URPL

12. AxonGenesis

AxonGenesis

I'm having the same problem in Unity 2019.4.1 with URP. The stereo separation parameter has no effect and the left/right images are the same. I have 360 capture enabled in the settings and disabled VR, since that is recommended in the docs for capture mode.

I'm using a custom render script for output. Here's my original code, which produces identical left and right images no matter what the stereo separation value is set to. Btw VRStereoSeparation is an exposed value in the inspector.

Code (CSharp):
    2. CubemapCamera.stereoSeparation = VRStereoSeparation;
    3. CubemapCamera.RenderToCubemap(CubemapLeft, 63, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Left);
    4. CubemapCamera.RenderToCubemap(CubemapRight, 63, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Right);
    5. CubemapLeft.ConvertToEquirect(Equirect, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Left);
    6. CubemapRight.ConvertToEquirect(Equirect, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Right);
    My workaround for now is to use a separate camera for left and right eye and to offset the left camera.
    Code (CSharp):
    2. CubemapCameraL.transform.localPosition = new Vector3(VRStereoSeparation, 0f, 0f);
    3. CubemapCameraL.RenderToCubemap(CubemapLeft, 63, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Left);
    4. CubemapCameraR.RenderToCubemap(CubemapRight, 63, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Right);
    5. CubemapLeft.ConvertToEquirect(Equirect, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Left);
    6. CubemapRight.ConvertToEquirect(Equirect, Camera.MonoOrStereoscopicEye.Right);

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  13. NathanRH

NathanRH

Hi @cguertin

Is stereo capture still a feature we can expect to be implemented in URP/HDRP?

Thanks,

14. laurence_

laurence_

Sorry to bump, any news on the enabling of stereo capture with HDRP?
    Thanks

15. NathanRH

NathanRH

*bump*

16. NathanRH

NathanRH

*BUMP*

17. younes048

younes048

It's almost 2021 and it's still not fixed, when can we expect an update?

18. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi,

We are following up with our colleagues in another team whose work is required for this fix, and will keep you updated.

Thanks,
    Bruno

19. The-Real-Mag

The-Real-Mag

Is there a workaround for the moment, because adding two camera's with seperation isn't the same as how ODS works.

20. UnitDan

UnitDan

In Unity 2021.1.4, recorder 2.5.5, hdrp 11.0.0, still not working :/

I try now the two cam workaround. What do you mean with ODS @XR-studio?

21. jonathan_IN4Group

jonathan_IN4Group

Hi,

Have there been any further updates as it's been nearly a year since your last response? Is there no support for 2020 or 2021?

Thanks,
    Jonathan

22. NathanRH

NathanRH

*bump* support for this on URP / HDRP would be great....

Rickmc3280 likes this.
  23. prxxxy

prxxxy

did you find a way to do this in the end?

24. lucidtripper

lucidtripper

Bump.. stull working in URP 2020.3.14f

Mono 360 works great

Any chance of a 3d180 setting?

25. CaptainPixels

CaptainPixels

bump
    it's been 3 years....

26. VinylPixels

VinylPixels

27. VincentVegan

VincentVegan

3 YEARS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

28. lucidtripper

lucidtripper

i got 3d360 working (URP) - can turn off recording read face of the cube - since i don't need it for 3d180.. then i use premiere to re-format to side by side equirectangular for 3d180

29. VinylPixels

VinylPixels

But does it really work? I mean I'm sure you get the recording but is it a proper stereo? When I tried it, only bits of the scene where properly "stereo" (mostly text) but for the actual scene stereo separation did not work and both left and right eye were recorded from the same "center" position.