Search Unity

stereo game view rendering google daydream not working

Discussion in 'Daydream' started by elcapitan79, Sep 23, 2016.

1. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

When playing back the sample scenes for google daydream on a windows or mac with the daydream unity build, the app doesn't play back in VR mode or stereo game rendering. Is there a step that I'm missing?

2. Xeverian

Xeverian

Yes. There is "VRDevice cardboard not supported in Editor Mode. Please run on target device." message in console. Just add GvrViewerMain prefab from SDK to your scene (you should import v1.0 SDK first)

3. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

I did import the v1.0 SDK. I'm running the sample app Headset Demo. I see "VR Mode Enabled" when playing, I don't see any console errors.

upload_2016-9-23_10-56-24.png

4. Xeverian

Xeverian

It works absolutely fine for me. What I did was:
    1. Installed 5.4.1f1-GVR7 Unity version
    2. Opened my project and converted it
    3. Deleted all traces of old SDK ("GoogleVR" folder in assets and everything related from "Plugins")
    4. Changed player settings to enable VR Support, added "Cardboard" SDK.
    5. Imported new GVR SDK 1.0 with everything enabled by default
    6. Copied "GvrViewerMain" prefab from "Assets->GoogleVR->Prefabs" folder to my scene
    7. Hit play...and it works (shows "two-eyed" view)

5. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

I didn't try integrating into my scene. I just did the following on my Mac & a VM of Windows running on my Mac.
    1. Install daydream technical preview
    2. Google VR SDK
    3. Import SDK into a new Unity project
    4. Play the HeadsetDemo in the DemoScenes folder.
    5. (app does not play in 'two-eyed' view.
    I did however, get the 2-eyed (I think called stereo) mode running in my WinVM from @keitrivera's comments above. I selected Edit > Project Settings > Player and selecting 'split stereo display.'

But, I'm not sure this is correct. Should I have to configure this or should it have worked out of the box with steps 1-4 above?

Looking at the instructions at https://developers.google.com/vr/unity/get-started-controller maybe I needed to install the android SDK. I haven't done this yet the mac or winVM.

upload_2016-9-24_23-40-6.png
    upload_2016-9-24_23-38-8.png

6. Tuitive

Tuitive

Make sure you're also doing the steps noted in this Unity post:
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/22/daydream-technical-preview-available-now/

This is all you need to do to get it to deploy properly to a device (which, current, MUST be a Nexus 6P). To get it to do the 2-eyed thing in the editor, you have to be using one of the Google VR prefabs from the SDK in your project -- it's not enough to just simply have installed the SDK in your project.

Hope that helps.

7. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

hi @Tuitive, I appreciate your help and everyone else jumping in to help. But, unfortunately, I cannot get this to play in stereo mode (2-eyed playback).

I restarted from scratch and tried the instructions at
    https://blogs.unity3d.com/2016/09/22/daydream-technical-preview-available-now/

1. installed java 8, Android SDK, NDK & updated unity to the folder locations
    2. set player to virtual reality & daydream
    3. tried playing daydream demo with both the nexus 5 & nexus 6 screen sizes (not sure this part maters).

See images.
    upload_2016-9-26_15-17-56.png

upload_2016-9-26_15-18-3.png

upload_2016-9-26_15-18-8.png

8. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

Anyone else have any suggestions?

9. elcapitan79

elcapitan79

Looks like I figured it out watching @NurFACEGAMES walk through his Daydream SDK/Unity setup. After doing all the above steps on 9/26 11:18pm post. I just had to switch to Android in the "Build Settings" and stereo mode automatically played.

I hope this helps any other n00bs get started.

upload_2016-9-27_14-30-58.png

Lisasz and Tuitive like this.