Search Unity

Stepped Keys IMPORT : 3ds Max and CAT rig

Discussion in 'Animation' started by enblomquist, Oct 4, 2018.

1. enblomquist

enblomquist

I seem to be having difficulty retraining my stepped keys with the CAT rig when importing into Unity. The step keys work for me using default bones and base objects exported from 3ds max. But, specifically cat rigs curves are still being re-sampled.

Thank you in advance!

2. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

What type of animation controller are applied to the CAT bones vs. default bones and base objects? This might have something to do with it.
    Can you show comparison examples/results of CAT bones being resampled vs default bones retaining the stepped key curves?

3. enblomquist

enblomquist

What do you mean animation controller? Like in Unity?

Both are being exported the exactly same way - following instructions from another forum post. The keys are just being smoothed out on the CAT rig.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

No - sorry for not being more clear. In Max every object has an animator controller per the type of animated property, ie position, rotation, scale, object property and texture/material.
    Default objects have a certain animation controller, bones, biped bones and cat bones also have animation controllers. Everything does.
    You can compare/identify the animation controller types for each object under motion panel, assign controller.

If everything else is the same in the import/export process, different animation controllers on the cat bones compared to the default objects "could" possibly be a reason the fbx importer/exporter is resampling.

Can you perform a quick test to narrow down when resampling is happening?
    Reimport the exported fbx cat model back into Max. See if the keys are still stepped when reimported in Max. The timeline will not give the best visual feedback. Instead open the track view curve editor to visually confirm the stepped keys are in fact still stepped.
    If they are - then the resampling is happening upon import into Unity. If they are not the resampling is happening through the fbx export process.

5. enblomquist

enblomquist

oh wow interesting!

When I reimport the fbx back into max the curves have been resampled!

What is the next step then??

6. enblomquist

enblomquist

I exported / tested the default bone system in max as an fbx. Worked properly in Unity. Then re-imported the fbx BACK into max, with the stepped curves still in tact.....

A MYSTERY INDEED.

The animation controller in max seems to be the same too.