Search Unity

STEP(.stp) file into Blender??

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by tchpowdog, Dec 30, 2011.

1. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Is there a way to get a STEP(.stp) file into Blender?? Does anyone know of a direct plugin or would I have to convert it to something else??

2. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Nevermind, I found a solution. If you want to import a CAD file into Blender, use .STL. It imports really nicely, although, watch out because an .STL file is really high poly and it's triangulated. I just imported a fairly simple CAD file into Blender as .STL and it has over 21,000 polys... but it imported nice lol

3. rik338

rik338

hard to use for your game really, 21k pollys.

4. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

that was a test model, to see how well Blender imported .STL

5. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

This belongs in the External Tools section. I know Unity Gossip gets more traffic, but please post these questions to the right place.

6. mariusz

mariusz

Maybe Decimate modifier can help a little :)

7. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

what cause the number of polys to be high is the holes I had in the model look at the pics:
    $untitled4.png $untitled3.png

8. mariusz

mariusz

Oh, I see.. :)

I know it was just for testing, but in this particular model it would be of course easier to just model this in blender :)

greetings,

9. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

I can model something like this probably 5x faster in CAD and it will be accurate to the exact size I want

10. rik338

rik338

CAD doesnt care about polys, stick with blender.

11. mariusz

mariusz

I know :) I'm a CAD modeler too.. but for use in Unity, Blender would be faster IMHO :)

greetings,

12. tchpowdog

tchpowdog

Rik, cad actually uses fewest polys possible... Calm down guys, I'm not using CAD to model everything from now on, I just wanted to know if had to resort to it, was it possible... I will definitely use cad to model any buildings to import to Unity

13. Boldee

Boldee

I know I'm bumping a really old thread here but I just had to comment, it is not easier to model in blender or any other none CAD modeling software they all make it more difficult than it should be to do the simplest things. I use NX for work and have done for many years, those of you that are familiar with NX will know it has fairly steep learning curve but I find it so much easier to do anything in NX than use blender.